Lobsters priced itself out of the menu. Cagney's collasal shrimp heading that way?

fstuff1

From Pearl hotel director q&a:

There's a food budget per day for each passenger.

That budget comes from part of the cruise fare paid.

Ncl's prices aren't that high.

Thus lobster proceed itself out of the menu.

Cagney's collasal shrimp is now$5 upcharge to the dining package.

It used to be free but lately the shrimp weren't that big. In fact they were the same size as the shrimp in let bistro and the free Chinese restaurant (jewel class).

I'm assuming the shrimp is back to being huge with the upcharge?

My theory is that the collasal shrimp will also price itself or of the menu, much like the lobster.

1 minute ago, hawkman402 said:

They were huge last week on Getaway. Doubt they will disappear completely.  Pretty standard to offer Shrimp Cocktail  at a restaurant like Cagney's on or off shore.

I'm sure that they will gradually get smaller, or the upcharge will get larger.

Years ago during a question and answer with crew the question was raised about

lobster in the buffet. The answer was they just couldn't do it anymore because people were

eating 7-8 lobster tails each.(they counted them?) Anyway if this was the case I can see

why they put a stop to it in the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

lobster in the buffet. The answer was they just couldn't do it anymore because people were

eating 7-8 lobster tails each.(they counted them?) Anyway if this was the case I can see

THAT is perfectly reasonable. If people are going to be abusive (hogging 7-8 lobster tails at a time), nobody wins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

It used to be free but lately the shrimp weren't that big. In fact they were the same size as the shrimp in let bistro and the free Chinese restaurant (jewel class).

My theory is that the collasal shrimp will also price itself or of the menu, much like the lobster.

I agree. Take a peek at the specialty dining menus, too. Most, if not all, entrees with shrimp are priced in excess of $25. Crazy pricing for week-old, previously frozen shrimp. NCL has already out priced us.  We don't pay the current prices, and are not impacted by future increases.

3 hours ago, davy jones said:

I'm sure that they will gradually get smaller, or the upcharge will get larger.

They technically already got smaller.  Four shrimp used to be the standard, then a couple of years ago they lowered the standard to three.  I suppose two is next.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, fstuff1 said:

Well yesterday i saw someone order the shrimp cocktail at Cagney's. (Pearl)

It was once again the big sized shrimp.

But i don't think it's worth the upcharge over the dinner package.

It made much more sense for it to be free and have the same sized medium shrimp as other restaurants on the ship use.

One less inventory item type to worry about.

I guess time will tell to see if many people/sheep will pay the upcharge.

(I assume not enough people paid the upcharge for lobster tails thus why it was removed as an option.

Not enough profit to maintain the cost /hassle of having an extra inventory item.)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, Peachypooh said:

Bingo.  When people eat enough for three or four people on things they like, lobster and shrimp, at one sitting, it is no wonder that NCL discontinues them or puts an upcharge on them, because abusers hurt everyone.  

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

Everyone is upset about the $5 upcharge  and I understand but I can remember many years ago and I mean many years, when we paid $ 5 for Lobster. So the upcharge isn't really all that new. As for your theory you may be right. I still would pay the $5 once while on the ship. It must have been in Le Bistro as there were very few specialty restaurants in those days 

On 4/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, hawkman402 said:

They were huge last week on Getaway. Doubt they will disappear completely.  Pretty standard to offer Shrimp Cocktail  at a restaurant like Cagney's on or off shore.

This has always been my feeling. We go to a restaurant, mid priced or upper end and appetizers run from $5 to $12. I don't quite understand the reason so many people are so upset. I don't think a good appetizer anywhere is less than $7.00, especially Shrimp. We are all just spoiled and have trouble accepting change. I am as guilty as anyone I am sure 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, ColeThornton said:

Possible.  Things change.  Not a big deal (to me) in the grand scheme of things.  There are still numerous choices of good chow to choose from.  I can get shrimp and lobster at home when I want it.

So true . In fact I can get anything I want at home . They should start taking away more stuff cause ya know people only abuse these privileges . No big deal to me . In fact I'm making a list of all these unearned luxuries they can take away . Maybe start a new thread . 

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

So true . In fact I can get anything I want at home . They should start taking away more stuff cause ya know people only abuse these privileges . No big deal to me . In fact I'm making a list of all these unearned luxuries they can take away . Maybe start a new thread . 

If you do make a new thread, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't include plastic straws as one of your unearned luxuries that they can take away! 🤐

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, trex-de said:

Shrimp cocktail is just shrimp cocktail unless it is served like they do it in Indianapolis.  I will pay the $5 for shrimp like that.  All other is just a shrimp cocktail.  

Just saying...

OK, I'll bite. What's so special about Indianapolis shrimp cocktail?

Do they serve it on a brick? ☺️

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

OK, I'll bite. What's so special about Indianapolis shrimp cocktail?

Do they serve it on a brick? ☺️

Indianapolis has a steakhouse with a "famous" $16 shrimp cocktail that is served with (in my opinion) an overly spicy proprietary sauce.  If you don't care about the taste of shrimp and only use them as a carrier for sauce, I suppose this is a choice.  If you do care about the taste of shrimp and use the sauce very sparingly, I suppose it's a little above average.  After the shrimp cocktail, you can enjoy a $40-$60 steak entre. 

Edited by FLAHAM

5 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Many people are upset because NCL continues to find new ways to nickel and dime its 'loyal customers'.

For your convenience of course.

I always bypass the upcharged items getting my PP dinner. I see no point in giving FDR an extra $5 for shrimp that used to be included.

• Like 1