Are there any issues with engine noise on Viking due to room location?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

Am considering possibly booking an Explorer Suite on a Viking riverboat. I know with some cruise lines people have mentioned that a room all the way aft can have issues with engine noise or whatever, so was wondering how it is on Viking since the engines are below those suites?  Have never been on a Viking river ship so any thoughts appreciated as to best room type, etc. Thanks...

It would be helpful if you said which ship you are looking at. The answer is going to be slightly different depending on which ship.

For example, I've now sailed on three different designs of ships. On one of them, the dining room was directly over the engines and hearing at dinner if we were cruising was impossible. However, the dining room on the Longships is in the bow, as far from the engines as you can get. Plus the Longships have a different power plant and tend to be a quieter ride in general.

Don't know which ship yet. We will probably be doing a river trip with the travel vouchers provided by Viking from the 3/14 Sky sailing. One of the trips that interests me is the Undiscovered China, but not sure at this time. I think that trip uses the Emerald (?) so let's go with that as an example. I'd think that, generally speaking, for any ships that have the explorer suites in the back above the engines, the question is applicable. 

If that is the ship you are interested in, try asking the question on the Viking China thread, as well. It will help narrow your audience and if you are lucky, you may find someone who is on board now or who will be in the near future. It is all about getting your question seen by the right people.

8 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Am considering possibly booking an Explorer Suite on a Viking riverboat. I know with some cruise lines people have mentioned that a room all the way aft can have issues with engine noise or whatever, so was wondering how it is on Viking since the engines are below those suites?  Have never been on a Viking river ship so any thoughts appreciated as to best room type, etc. Thanks...

We were on the Emerald in 2017 - Imperial Jewels of China. I can't recall any significant issues with engine noise at any time (full disclosure, when traveling, I take ambien to sleep so after "lights out", I probably would not hear a little engine noise).

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

We were on the Emerald in 2017 - Imperial Jewels of China. I can't recall any significant issues with engine noise at any time (full disclosure, when traveling, I take ambien to sleep so after "lights out", I probably would not hear a little engine noise).

and you were in an Explorer suite? 

@gretschwhtfalcon

It's a good question.  But the ES location can be very different depending on ship. That standard longship is on the top floor- and though I have never had the chance to enjoy those suites, I can not imagine the engine being an issue.  On some of the Asian larger ships (The Emerald in fact, right?), the ES are in front under the bridge.

I will say ... this would be the least of my concerns regardless......

Edited by VistaRio

Can’t speak to any other Viking ship, but we just got off the Atla (Eastern Europe) and we were in an Explorer Suite (340). It was LOUD!!!  We enjoy sailing in aft cabins and love hearing the sound of the wake — which we could do on this river cruise.  However, there was so much noise and vibration from the engines, we really didn’t enjoy the suite. We would have done the Veranda Suite had we known.  Just our experience sailing on the Danube.

41 minutes ago, travelingduo said:

Can’t speak to any other Viking ship, but we just got off the Atla (Eastern Europe) and we were in an Explorer Suite (340). It was LOUD!!!  We enjoy sailing in aft cabins and love hearing the sound of the wake — which we could do on this river cruise.  However, there was so much noise and vibration from the engines, we really didn’t enjoy the suite. We would have done the Veranda Suite had we known.  Just our experience sailing on the Danube.

The Emerald's Explorer suites are not located over the engine - there was no engine noise in our suite. 

2 hours ago, travelingduo said:

I am really surprised by this.  Thanks for the input.  I suppose even if the ES longship suites are on the third deck, it is true that there are no staterooms directly below them.  The engine room must be closer to them than I thought.

To clarify, are you saying you could, or could not hear the wake?

I wonder of there was something specific to the Atla - needing a tune up or whatever the equivilent is.

There are suites on the boat in China.  They are on the top deck.  The boat in China has twice the number of pax as the European boats. Have a friend who just came back from the Rhone in an Explore suite.  Will see her on Wednesday and report back.  Pat  

Saw my friend who just returned fro the Rhone,  They were in an Explorer Suite and yes there was engine noise when underway.  The only time it bothered them was one morning when they got underway about 6am.  

The suites on our China trip were all on the top deck, so no engine noise.  Have long considered China the jewel on Viking's crown.  It is a wonderful trip.  Your guide stays with you from Beginning to end.  There are about 25-30 people in your group, never felt rushed.  Enjoy, Pat

Pat....good recommendation for the China trip. Which China itinerary are you referring to? I'm mostly interested in "Undiscovered China". Thanks for checking with your friend on the Explorer Suite noise issue. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Pontac....thanks for sharing this. Certainly something to consider. As was stated in that thread, sad to pay that kind of money and then have all the noise. Think I'll stick to a suite somewhere towards the middle of the ship - or else an explorer suite that is not positioned above the engines. 

We've recently completed the Elegant Elbe on the Astrild, a mini-longship.  We were on cabin 234, a French balcony and will never book a cabin that far back again.  This was our 9th Viking river cruise and first time we've noticed the loud, constant noise, very annoying.  The noise was so loud, we were glad to only be on the ship for 5 nights, as it made for restless sleep.

As others have mentioned, the Emerald ship that Viking uses in China is NOT a Viking longship so there is no real comparison at all.

i can definitely sympathize with the OP regarding noise issues, even tho we were not in an explorers suite it was unbelievely noisy.

Good information - I now know that we will NOT be booking the explorer suite on a longship - way too expensive for a substandard experience! Had I not read these posts, I would have assumed that all explorer suites were comparable to the one we experienced on the Emerald. 

• 5 months later...

We were in the Explorer Suite (341) on two Viking longships — Rinda on the Seine and Hlin on the Rhine.  Both were terribly noisy and the vibration very bothersome.  It was particularly bad when cruising against the current.  

We had been given an upgrade so we could not really complain; the Suite is delightful.  But had we paid that full fare, we would not have been happy! 

• Like 1