Would you let a ten year old have "charging" privileges?

Do you envision your 10 year old going anywhere without you where charging will be an issue? I am firmly in the camp of 10 year olds being too young to be wandering around the ship on their own, so for me charging would be a non issue.

I am firmly in the camp that 10 year olds SHOULD practice going places without adults so they are ready for being alone when they need to and we use cruise ships as a place to practice for small amounts of time. I did not allow my kids charging Permissikn on our last cruise - they were 6 and 10, but as the cruise went on - we had to change it because we wanted to take advantage of their gold club perks. (In my town - there is no longer after school care provided for 6th graders so if you work a day job like me - they are home from school from the bus at 2:25 each day! We have found ways to minimize the alone time - but no way would I feel okay with it had we not practiced him following rules and making good choices. The after school issues that crop up are different but the process our family follows is not).

For us - we actually decided it was a great learning/practice exercise for them. We explained the rules, what would happen if they used it and what the boundaries were FOR using it (if we gave them permission to buy ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s, they could use it. If they didn’t have it cleared ahead of time - off with their heads!...or their freedoms is probably a better choice of words!). My kids rose to the occasion and practiced being responsible with money. I would encourage others to do it similarly as a learning tool. It’s very easy to track spending progress and the only real risk is the arcade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

Do you envision your 10 year old going anywhere without you where charging will be an issue? I am firmly in the camp of 10 year olds being too young to be wandering around the ship on their own, so for me charging would be a non issue.

I would not let her roam alone, but when she makes friends from the kids club, I would let her go with a small group.

We were together at Club Med compound last year and she made friends from the kids club and they did many things together in the evening without adult supervision.  I met their mothers and we all agreed they were "relatively responsible".

She would check in with me, letting me know where she was every hour.

The ship is huge so we will have rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

I am firmly in the camp that 10 year olds SHOULD practice going places without adults so they are ready for being alone when they need to and we use cruise ships as a place to practice for small amounts of time. I did not allow my kids charging Permissikn on our last cruise - they were 6 and 10, but as the cruise went on - we had to change it because we wanted to take advantage of their gold club perks. (In my town - there is no longer after school care provided for 6th graders so if you work a day job like me - they are home from school from the bus at 2:25 each day! We have found ways to minimize the alone time - but no way would I feel okay with it had we not practiced him following rules and making good choices. The after school issues that crop up are different but the process our family follows is not).

For us - we actually decided it was a great learning/practice exercise for them. We explained the rules, what would happen if they used it and what the boundaries were FOR using it (if we gave them permission to buy ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s, they could use it. If they didn’t have it cleared ahead of time - off with their heads!...or their freedoms is probably a better choice of words!). My kids rose to the occasion and practiced being responsible with money. I would encourage others to do it similarly as a learning tool. It’s very easy to track spending progress and the only real risk is the arcade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post!

• Like 1

If she has cruised with Royal before and is entitled to crown and anchor benefits the card must be activated with charging in order to use the coupons.  On our last cruise I thought I had added my daughter's sea pass card to my credit card but realized it was not on there when the buy one get one free ice cream didn't work at Ben and Jerrys!  Have had similar issues as other posters when trying to get the arcade discount as well.  I have had no issues with her overcharging but she is most always with me.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

If you don't trust a child to limit their spending to whatever amount you tell them they are allowed to spend, then you shouldn't be letting that child out of your sight (or that of another responsible adult) on the cruise.  If they can't follow clear directions/rules, they should remain under adult supervision at all times. 

11 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I just completed check in for our Harmony cruise in July,  they asked if I wanted to allow my granddaughter to charge things to our shipboard account.

I dithered about around a bit, then decided to say no.  I imagine I could allow it once on board?    She is not a spendthrift (yet) but I worry if she goes to the arcade she will be😉.

Do you allow your children charging privileges?

Remember that you will need to go to Guest Services to actually turn off charging privileges.  Otherwise she can go on a spending spree, even if you declined charging privileges in your online check in.  DD was able to charge $50 in the arcade despite the fact that I had turned off charging for her during online check in.

• Like 1

The answer was 'yes' for both my girls, who were very mature at an early age.  At most they'd buy a Ben & Jerry's ice cream, a smoothie or maybe a coffee drink and always report to me what they purchased.  I couldn't force either of them into an arcade but I can see where a kid that loves arcade games may need a limit.

If there are kids who go on a spending spree even after their parents instruct them not to, then that's a different kind of parenting issue.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I just completed check in for our Harmony cruise in July,  they asked if I wanted to allow my granddaughter to charge things to our shipboard account.

I dithered about around a bit, then decided to say no.  I imagine I could allow it once on board?    She is not a spendthrift (yet) but I worry if she goes to the arcade she will be😉.

Maybe - depends on the child. But at 13 and up... no, no, and h*ll no 😳

2 hours ago, momofmab said:

The answer was 'yes' for both my girls, who were very mature at an early age.  At most they'd buy a Ben & Jerry's ice cream, a smoothie or maybe a coffee drink and always report to me what they purchased.  I couldn't force either of them into an arcade but I can see where a kid that loves arcade games may need a limit.

If there are kids who go on a spending spree even after their parents instruct them not to, then that's a different kind of parenting issue.

Her father just retired from the Navy after 20 years, so she has a military pattern of parenting.  She also attends private Catholic school and is quite  respectful of adults.

Yes, it is always a parenting issue IMO, yes?

When I was a child we always had a certain amount of cash that was ours to spend.

If she is careful with her own money take her to reception and get her to hand over the money herself to be put on her card. It will make it seem like real money.

I think even teenagers have a hard time relating credit to real cash. Some adults too😉

Then just monitor what she is spending.

• Like 1

If you don't give your kids a credit card at home, why would you on the ship?  There is nothing on the ship that a kid needs to buy on their own.  If they want soda, give them a soda package.  If they want something in a store, they can ask you for it.  If you said they were 16, might be a little different.  But 10 year olds, no.

17 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you don't give your kids a credit card at home, why would you on the ship?  There is nothing on the ship that a kid needs to buy on their own.  If they want soda, give them a soda package.  If they want something in a store, they can ask you for it.  If you said they were 16, might be a little different.  But 10 year olds, no.

We are going to Disney for ten days in early May, we went there last year, and she had many gift cards to use for purchases, she needed to keep abreast of her amount to spend, worked a treat.   The 25$ arcade limit sounds reasonable and maybe a version of that for ice creams etc. She does not drink soda ergo no soda package for her.

28 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Her father just retired from the Navy after 20 years, so she has a military pattern of parenting.  She also attends private Catholic school and is quite  respectful of adults.

Yes, it is always a parenting issue IMO, yes?

Yes - but to clarify -  if your 10 year old has a pattern of disobeying instructions that give him/her - (IMO) that's a parenting issue that should be dealt with outside of a week-long cruise.

1 minute ago, momofmab said:

Yes - but to clarify -  if your 10 year old has a pattern of disobeying instructions that give him/her - (IMO) that's a parenting issue that should be dealt with outside of a week-long cruise.

To reiterate, she has no problem following instructions.  Yes sir, no mam, etc.

19 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

To reiterate, she has no problem following instructions.  Yes sir, no mam, etc.

Never suggested she did.  I responded to your questions about whether "I" would give my children those privileges (spoiler alert:  YES), and then expanded my response to include the caveat that if the kid(s) in question don't follow directives from the parents or grandparents in charge, then THAT issue should be handled before getting on the cruise.   

I don't believe I in any way suggested that YOUR kids don't follow directions, merely it was a general statement about kids who don't follow parental directions.

Nonetheless, it sounds like your kid(s) follow directions and should, perhaps, be allowed to charge to their seapass.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, Judyrem said:

i put $100 for my daughter, who is 8. it allowed her to use her own card in the arcade and she liked giving her card to scan for smoothies in the dining room. we were with her at all times but the arcade was the best because we didn't have to bend down or keep taking our card off for stuff for her. i would say she spent $30 easily in the arcade (lol i taught her the meaning of "rip off" cause of course they are made to take your money) so maybe that would be a good amount to start for your granddaughter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seventhwardhustler said:

i put $100 for my daughter, who is 8. it allowed her to use her own card in the arcade and she liked giving her card to scan for smoothies in the dining room. we were with her at all times but the arcade was the best because we didn't have to bend down or keep taking our card off for stuff for her. i would say she spent $30 easily in the arcade (lol i taught her the meaning of "rip off" cause of course they are made to take your money) so maybe that would be a good amount to start for your granddaughter. 

When she was younger, she loved "the claw" and always wanted to do it, she only got a toy once after many tries!  

LOL, that is a major rip off, big time!  She then understood "rip off".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Judyrem said:

When she was younger, she loved "the claw" and always wanted to do it, she only got a toy once after many tries!  

LOL, that is a major rip off, big time!  She then understood "rip off".

THAT'S THE ONE!!!!!! i had to tell her that the item was actually too heavy to lift lolol. at least yours got one toy!! she even got me excited because she was always getting it but it would never stay within the claws lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seventhwardhustler said:

THAT'S THE ONE!!!!!! i had to tell her that the item was actually too heavy to lift lolol. at least yours got one toy!! she even got me excited because she was always getting it but it would never stay within the claws lol.

Major learning experience!😀  I think most  kids are enthralled with that thing!  LOL  It looks so easy and is so HARD,  to almost impossible!

Edited by Judyrem
bad spelling.
  • Like 2

My kids were given charging rights when they were 12.  Younger than that they were either with me or in camp...I didn't allow self signing out in Adventure Ocean, but at 12 they were with the teens and able to roam at will.  They knew I checked their folio daily, so spending beyond the one foo-foo drink or coffee (as an older teen) per day when on their own would only result in the loss of privilege.  Trust and verify...  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cello56 said:

thank you! I am with you on that. 

Our 8 yo doesn't have charging privileges, and he is never out of our sight. I can't imagine a 10 yo girl wandering around the ship by herself and making any kind of charges.

P.S. It's a good thing DS didn't have charging privileges, because my husband lost DS's sea pass on the last day of the cruise. We elected not to get a replacement, because the line at the guest services was horrendous on the last day. If anyone found the card and decided to use it, they were out of luck.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy