CC Article: 7 worst repeat ports

33 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

In comparison, St. John, NB, while not a waste of time, was lackluster.

Not if you get to see the tides in the Bay of Fundy and the river in town that changes directions with the tides. Or, maybe I'm just too easily entertained.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Not if you get to see the tides in the Bay of Fundy and the river in town that changes directions with the tides. Or, maybe I'm just too easily entertained.

The Bay of Fundy's tides are worth witnessing.  The city had an interesting indoor marketplace as I recall.  But, that's it.  Definitely a "been there, done that" category port in my opinion.

The question depends upon whether you are interested in getting out of the immediate port area.  New York (Manhattan) could be seen as pretty bad if you didn’t get east of Tenth Avenue or more than a block or so uptown or downtown - about size of the area in Nassau many repeat cruisers see.

On this forum, some see it as a way of earning their stripes by commenting on ports they hate. While I can't say I've been to all of these, I've seen people complain about most ports I have been to, and had a great time. Nassau is a fan favorite to hate. One of the common themes is the straw market. First off, it's not that bad. Second, I wouldn't let a 5 minute walk through vendors looking to sell stuff ruin my vacation. The Bahamas hold some of the most beautiful beaches. As I sit there, enjoying myself, I think about how miserable some people must really be

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

On this forum, some see it as a way of earning their stripes by commenting on ports they hate. While I can't say I've been to all of these, I've seen people complain about most ports I have been to, and had a great time. Nassau is a fan favorite to hate. One of the common themes is the straw market. First off, it's not that bad. Second, I wouldn't let a 5 minute walk through vendors looking to sell stuff ruin my vacation. The Bahamas hold some of the most beautiful beaches. As I sit there, enjoying myself, I think about how miserable some people must really be

I've wondered about 'earning stripes' from day one ... can't for the life of me figure what makes people want to comment to earn "number of posts" status ... and do it by repeating another's comment or re-directing where the question 'should have' been asked  :-}
You're right about Nassau -- it doesn't get much love -- but cruising (and stopping in any port) is ALWAYS better than staying home!!

I'm surprised anyone takes these "articles" seriously. They're like teen magazine covers that call out about 10 ways to make your boyfriend/girlfriend fall madly in love with you.

They're not meant to be taken seriously, so I can't see arguing which ports are better or worse. They're more like fire-starters than journalism.

Of course, I think Aruba sucks and Mazatlan is wonderful, so I'm not entirely mainstream.

Jim