Celebrity vs HAL for South America

bebe08

In comparing the HAL and X prices, HAL will  add on the daily gratuity charge to your account, while IIRC that is included in the price of X cruises.  Also, does either include OBCs for the prices you were quoted?

2 minutes ago, Walfam said:

In comparing the HAL and X prices, HAL will  add on the daily gratuity charge to your account, while IIRC that is included in the price of X cruises.  Also, does either include OBCs for the prices you were quoted?

Are you saying that in Canada the X daily gratuity is included in the price of the cruise?  This is not the case in the US.

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Are you saying that in Canada the X daily gratuity is included in the price of the cruise?  This is not the case in the US.

The only time we have had the daily gratuity included is if we choose it as a perk.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:19 PM, bEwAbG said:

I think this is just another example of Celebrity overcharging for their product.  Silhouette is a nice S-Class ship but it carries 1,000 more passengers.  Westerdam is smaller but also a little older.  For that differential in price and for that port-heavy itinerary, I'd probably go with HAL.  I'd also compare ports as well as time in ports. 

Bingo, Celebrity is pricing itself out of the vast majority of cruises.  Bundling with promos that we don't want adds to that problem.

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I wouldn't know about Canada.  We took a cruise on X in 2006 and I thought gratuity was included in the price.  I could be wrong, as that was a long time ago.

7 minutes ago, Walfam said:

I haven't got a quote from a TA, however I have checked our big box TA online.  The HAL cruise will give us 450 US OBC for a balcony cabin.  For the X cruise we would get $785 cash card to spend in their store.

55 minutes ago, Walfam said:

I wouldn't know about Canada.  We took a cruise on X in 2006 and I thought gratuity was included in the price.  I could be wrong, as that was a long time ago.

I don't think a cruise 13 years ago is probably a good basis.

=X= definitely adds the gratuity on a daily basis.  I cannot recall if it is added then credited if it is a "free" perk, and I have no idea under the new "sail" program.

As far as I remember HAL offers pre-paid gratuities plus a beverage package at the moment if you book until either May 1st or 31st ( sorry, can't remember at the moment).

Celebrity quite often offers the basic beverage package as either an included perk or at a reduced price, some cruises are offered right now with 2 perks to choose, I think.

But this may - as usual - be a different kind of regional promotion . Europeans quite often have very different rules in regard to promotions and payments.

But - funny, isn't it? - you induced me to look at Westerdam cruises for the South American season and found a cruise going to Antarctica as well. We haven't planned anything for 2021, yet...😉

8 hours ago, Walfam said:

2006!  'that is a different era in the fast changing cruise industry.  Whether or not the gratuity is included in the price (i.e. prepaid gratuities) depends on the actual terms and promotions of the booking.  In fact, we just booked a Celebrity cruise today and could have elected to have gratuities included...but of course that simply meant paying more (the price of the gratuities).  We did a last minute bare bones booking where absolutely nothing was included.  But we did get an OBC and the price we paid is quite a bargain.  Just think, for about another $100 per person/day we could have added gratuities and drinks :).  I would think that for another $1000 per passenger day we could have booked a large suite with everything included!  What a bargain :).

Hnak

• Like 1