Looks like Cuba is closed to tourists

TNCruzer56

7 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

well its NCL's job to moniter and inform us with cruises booked, so hopefully they and other lines are doing that.

Where in the cruise contract does it say that the cruise line has to keep bookings apprised of itinerary changes?

They will refund any excursions purchased but they have until sailing to do so and don't have to tell you about the new itinerary until you are onboard too.  The cruise contract only guarantees a certain number of days on the ship. 

When we had an itinerary scrapped ahead of time it took 3 months to notify us and that was about one month before sailing.  Another time storms blocked our path to Bermuda and they announced the new itinerary after boarding was done.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/OFAC-Recent-Actions.aspx I have looked at the Tresuary site OFAC They would know and control sanctions. Most recent has to do with Venezuela all during April. Travel sanctions all go back to 2017. This is where your paper work (people to people) was filled out for visas As of today nothing under recent actions. I could not find any actions or dates affecting our cruises. Just keep watching. I think this was to warn Cuba about helping Venezuela more than stopping visitors.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 5:24 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I understand that. Maybe the threadtitle was a little misleading. Cuba can close for tourists but that is not what may happen now.

(I have a brother living in Plattsburgh.)

Yes, the title is misleading.

Cuba is wide open for tourism.

It is Mr Trump in his infinite wisdom that closed/stopped/prevents/stopped  Americans from going to Cuba.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, katesmarma said:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/OFAC-Recent-Actions.aspx I have looked at the Tresuary site OFAC They would know and control sanctions. Most recent has to do with Venezuela all during April. Travel sanctions all go back to 2017. This is where your paper work (people to people) was filled out for visas As of today nothing under recent actions. I could not find any actions or dates affecting our cruises. Just keep watching. I think this was to warn Cuba about helping Venezuela more than stopping visitors.

Again, the OFAC affidavit has nothing to do with the visa required to visit Cuba.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

It is Mr Trump in his infinite wisdom that closed/stopped/prevents/stopped  Americans from going to Cuba.

Nothing is in writing yet. Trump has not stopped US travel to Cuba yet. Cruise lines are operating their cruises “as usual” until something official, in writing, from the government changes that.

1 hour ago, katesmarma said:

I was not saying it gave you visa., It was the affidavit that you were aware of the rules and sanctions so the visa could be processed 

The affidavit is entirely unrelated to the visa. 

1 hour ago, pbenjamin said:

The affidavit is entirely unrelated to the visa. 

Just curious (and I really don't know) but do people from other countries, for example Canada, have to complete an affidavit from their country or just Americans?  I know it is totally unrelated to the Visa as everyone has to have one of those.  I am booked to sail on May 20th on MSC and the only port I was planning on getting off the ship was Cuba.  I know the ship will still sail there but I would hate to be standing on the sidelines while those from other countries disembark.  Hopefully if the Treasury Department does put something in place by then I will be given the option to cancel (though I need to be in Miami on May 27th so working on a plan B).

8 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Just curious (and I really don't know) but do people from other countries, for example Canada, have to complete an affidavit from their country or just Americans? ...

The affidavit is for the US government. Canada does not require such paperwork. 

Tourist travel between Canada and Cuba does not differ significantly from travel between Canada many other countries.

17 hours ago, cruiser1955a said:

Nothing is in writing yet. Trump has not stopped US travel to Cuba yet. Cruise lines are operating their cruises “as usual” until something official, in writing, from the government changes that.

So monitor those Twitter feeds!

I went to Cuba on a cruise last April (different cruise line) and had been told that Americans had to be part of an ‘educational’ group in order to visit and that we would have to book shore excursions anytime we wanted to leave the ship - which we did. We then found out that we could have walked off the ship anytime we wanted (which we subsequently did on Easter Sunday). The way it was explained to us is this:

Cubans would love us to walk around and spend money - they welcomed us.

Americans may have rules about not visiting but there are no Americans “policing’ the area - who’s going to stop you from walking around? Or who will ask you for your country of origin or passport? No one from our government is there. So unless they stop the cruiselines from going there I’m not sure how this impacts cruisers (vs. people traveling on their own and flying in and out). 

BTW we loved this trip - Cuba is amazing and well worth seeing. 

1. https://legalcubatravel.com/  Even tho a "travel site per say" had a lot of good info. We are now 2 1/2 weeks since speech by Bolton.  I have seen no movement anywhere stopping cruise or airlines.  The May 2nd "law suits" are approaching but that probably will not even get off ground.  I just hope we are in a face off that goes no where. My family and I look forward  to being in Havana on May 29th. Hopefully this to will be another such event
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 12:15 PM, pete_coach said:

It is President Donald J Trump (adjusted name for respect of office)  in his infinite wisdom that closed/stopped/prevents/stopped  Americans from going to Cuba.

so your saying it is definitive that americans  can no longer go to communist CUBA?

Just read something interesting on the Cuba section.  You will find a link there about an article on the Carnival - Cuba lawsuit.  The lawsuit was filed on May 2, 2019 the first day Cuban Americans could sue for property seized by Fidel Castro. Puts a new wrinkle on cruises to Cuba.

If you mean the start of law suits this most probably not affect cruises to Cuba for a while. There are over 60 companies now involved. I don't see any quick action by any side since they will be dragging this thru the courts probably for years. Any one think this will stop up coming cruises I really expect to sail on Sun May 27th

1 minute ago, katesmarma said:

If you mean the start of law suits this most probably not affect cruises to Cuba for a while. There are over 60 companies now involved. I don't see any quick action by any side since they will be dragging this thru the courts probably for years. Any one think this will stop up coming cruises I really expect to sail on Sun May 27th

Do you think Carnival wants to put up with the aggravation of numerous lawsuits over using the Cuban docks? Personally I have no idea. Only the bean counters know if Cuba is profitable.

It is not just Carnival. Right now there are over 60 different companies involved. I'm sure this is just the start. It will be awhile before anyone can say if this will affect any travel.