WHAT Happens to the Cuba cruises

wesport

1 hour ago, wesport said:

New policy by the Trump administration as of May 2 only family visits to Cuba . No veiled tourism will be allowed . 

That’s going to upset a lot of travel plans !🤔😳

Hopefully we will wake up one fine morning and discover that this nightmare has ended. And/or whatever this change in Cuba policy delivers will be reversed or even liberalized.

Anyway, we have several months to see how all of this pans out. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

We're booked on one of the Seabourn December Cuba cruises. So far, no word from Seabourn about any changes. I assume they're trying to figure things out. I just hope we'll find out sooner rather than later. I was going to book air on our own, but now I don't know if we'll do the cruise or not. 

We are doing the 11/28 12 day. Great itinerary. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Just thought Seabourn was a great way to see Cuba. Especially with three overnight stays. Holland America has 40 cruises to Cuba. Was so much looking forward to this one. 

Between now and the end of the year, there are hundreds of cruises with potentially thousands of cruisers involved. Cruise lines are not responsible for itinerary changes. This one will be interesting.  

Yes, indeed a nightmare for cruise lines.  I expect some law suits.  We were thinking about booking a Cuba cruise for this coming spring (another line),  but now we will wait and see.

This makes me so glad we did an abbreviated Cuba cruise on a lessor line.  We looked at booking the 12 night November itinerary but we figured it was highly likely that the current administration would tinker with the policy again.  

The cruise lines will adjust to new Caribbean itineraries if they can’t sail to Cuba and they just have to hope we don’t have a bad hurricane season again that further wrecks havoc!

Let’s see how long it takes from now to revise these itineraries. Nothing yet has changed on the Seabourn

site yet, as you would expect.

We are booked on the Dec., 2019 Sojourn Cuba cruises. What a shame for the line which has put so much effort into the planning! With all the mess about us now, we simply don’t need this... ‘Nuff said by me.

Happy and healthy sailing!

When you combine all the lines that are going to cuba, you are talking about  a hit of millions of dollars to the industry. I am going on Seabourn only because of the four stops in Cuba. Take that away, and its a Caribbean cruise only. I am sure most will cancel if Cuba is eliminated. Called Seabourn yesterday, and it a wait and see answer. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, tv24 said:

Yes, indeed a nightmare for cruise lines.  I expect some law suits.  We were thinking about booking a Cuba cruise for this coming spring (another line),  but now we will wait and see.

Law suits? Why?  Not the cruise line’s fault. Who are they supposed to sue

tv24,  What kind of lawsuits do you expect?  I doubt that passengers would sue--just cancel and be refunded, so you must think the cruise lines will sue the government?  I don't think they have a cause of action because the issue is foreign policy and the president (such as he is) has the power to make foreign policy decisions.  Cruise lines may not LIKE his foreign policy decisions (much like many citizens) but they are probably just going to have to go through all the turmoil that this kind of rescinding of prior foreign policy decisions entails.  

I don't think suing the U. S. Government for something that results from foreign policy decisions is an option.  Please don't infer from my comment that I support all the decisions of the current administration.  I'm just saying that there are certain things you cannot sue the government about.  

Does anyone have a guess when Seabourn would be likely to announce revised itineraries? We're booked on a Dec-Jan cruise specifically because of the several ports of call in Cuba. It was pricey for us, but the itinerary pulled us in. I'm guessing they'll turn this into a 14-day Caribbean cruise, and chances are we would cancel unless the price dropped. I'm concerned that by the time they announce new itineraries it will be difficult to find another warm-weather getaway (whether cruise or land resort). When geopolitical events require cruise itinerary changes, how quickly do cruise lines typically adapt and announce itinerary revisions? (I find it interesting that the Seabourn website still hasn't added even a note about uncertainty of about visits to Cuba.)

If your worried the Cuba cruise will be changed or cancelled, check out the 21 day Sint Maartin to Barbados holiday cruise leaving Dec. 21st. 

Regarding info on the Seabourn site, I would assume "they don't know what they don't know" and are waiting on final word from the State Department.

We are also on the November 28 sailing. Like everyone else who booked, we were willing to pay the premium for the Cuba experience. Will wait until it’s close to the 4 months before date to see what’s up at that point. Do not want to pay so much for a plain Jane Caribbean cruise. 

Linda

2 hours ago, whystayhome said:

We are also on the November 28 sailing. Like everyone else who booked, we were willing to pay the premium for the Cuba experience. Will wait until it’s close to the 4 months before date to see what’s up at that point. Do not want to pay so much for a plain Jane Caribbean cruise. 

Linda

Ditto. Payed the premium for the itinerary and the Seabourn experience.  Not worth it for  a regular Caribbean cruise. This will be interesting. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, tv24 said:

double post. I apologize 

Edited by purpleally
Double post