using website availability to decide on bidding - question

alisonslp

I pulled an upgrade bid for a spa cabin on the Bliss several days ago because I did not want to chance being under the fitness center. At the time, it was showing 15 cabins - half on each side of the ship. Who know whether there were more available. Now, there are only 7 showing available and they are all under the beauty salon, which we wouldn't mind.  My question is - how confident should I be that these are in fact the only cabins now available and am safe to rebid - or could I win a bid and still find myself under the fitness center? We are 2 weeks from sail.

I wouldn't be confident at all .....  the website only shows a handful of the actual inventory available at the moment you look on the website. The inventory changes almost by the hour with inventory being returned from wholesalers, bid winners (going to higher category), held rooms by NCL for various reasons (maybe maintenance finished ahead of schedule, etc). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisonslp said:

I pulled an upgrade bid for a spa cabin on the Bliss several days ago because I did not want to chance being under the fitness center. At the time, it was showing 15 cabins - half on each side of the ship. Who know whether there were more available. Now, there are only 7 showing available and they are all under the beauty salon, which we wouldn't mind.  My question is - how confident should I be that these are in fact the only cabins now available and am safe to rebid - or could I win a bid and still find myself under the fitness center? We are 2 weeks from sail.

You never know. As NCL processes bids, everyone moves up. Now,,,, you would think that everyone moving out of a spa room to something better would have picked "good" rooms to start with,,,,, but there are those who rely on travel agents, who pick rooms based on criteria other than "is it under a treadmill that will be thumping starting at 6 am daily". 

If you like your room, keep your room. If you really want a spa room not under a treadmill, pay retail for it. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. You confirmed what I was thinking. I like our present cabin. We booked a gty balcony (not sail away) and were placed in a midship balcony toward aft on deck 13. So we got pretty lucky there. (at least we think so because we like to be up higher, toward the back).  I just really want to try the spa! But It's OK. Maybe next time. I know we will enjoy Alaska and probably wouldn't use the spa much anyway, which is why I am not willing to spend an extra $750 on passes for the 3 of us.

17 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You might still find yourself under the fitness center because someone from there could get upgraded to something higher and you could backfill their now empty stateroom.

I have a question regarding that, i thought the whole point of a spa cabin whether is mini suite or balcony is to  have the ZEN experience? ( quiet)  from the cabin all the way to using the Therma Suite? I was told there is no bad location when it comes to a spa cabin, or was I misinformed? I am currently bidding on spa balcony and mini suite but in my case ( as opposed to the OP) both categories are sold out, so not worried about it as much, but hopefully if we do get the bid, then the location is good.

Just now, spanishguy1970 said:

I have a question regarding that, i thought the whole point of a spa cabin whether is mini suite or balcony is to  have the ZEN experience? ( quiet)  from the cabin all the way to using the Therma Suite? I was told there is no bad location when it comes to a spa cabin, or was I misinformed? I am currently bidding on spa balcony and mini suite but in my case ( as opposed to the OP) both categories are sold out, so not worried about it as much, but hopefully if we do get the bid, then the location is good.

I don't know whether being under the fitness center is "bad". One might assume there could be additional noise through the ceiling from things like people running on treadmills or weights being dropped? I have never experienced it first-hand. I was just answering the OPs question, since (s)he was concerned about being under the fitness center.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I am not sure about other ships but I have come across many posts both here and on FB regarding the spa cabins under the fitness center and how you will be woken up at 6am from folks running and dropping weights. I have heard it really depends on where you are as some areas are quieter than others. But with bidding, you don't get to choose the location. They say under the beauty shop is no problem at all. And I am with you - I don't get it - Why put the fitness center directly over the more expensive spa cabins?

Cabins located under The Fitness Center can't be all that bad.

Hours of operation must have some maintenance - sleeping down time and not a 24 hour operation.

Weights are usually with a padded floor - you would not drop a weight on a tile or wood floor repeatedly.

The stair and walking/running machines the problem maybe the noise of a motor running and vibrating

off a noise reflective floor - but these must have some sound absorbing legs.

Running jogging tracks are provided somewhere i.e. Promenade Sports deck etc. -

so pounding foot noise would be on that deck and not at the Fitness Center

Any dance yoga fitness classes certainly are not scheduled during the wee hours of the night.

The Spa cabins you make your own noise to a level of your own comfort.

But you are not going to write home about that until after your first cruise - then being the wiser your next

cruise will be more than an educated guess. Take the time to check out the ship - look at deck plans to see

what is above and below your quarters. It is not possible to spend a cruise in every cabin on a ship but you

can get a pretty good idea of what to expect - one guests cabin location critic is not for everyone.

If possible attend a Meet & Greet Cabin Crawl !

If noise becomes a bother check out the rules and hours of operation of that noise and alert the appropriate

people for any possible remedy action.

And then there is good ole CC with everyone's opinion - a good source for information -

and don't forget YouTube Google and other internet websites.

Now be off to search for that holy grail of a dream cabin - and bid upgrade wisely !

Thanks for the reply. I am going from people's reviews on CC and FB who have stayed in these cabins under the fitness center  on the Bliss- woken up at 6am to the pounding on the treadmills and the dropping of the weights on the floor. Why anyone wants to get up at 6am to go workout on a cruise is beyond me, but apparently at least a few do...

16 hours ago, alisonslp said:

Thanks all. You confirmed what I was thinking. I like our present cabin. We booked a gty balcony (not sail away)....

What is the difference between a guaranty vs. a sail away balcony?

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

What is the difference between a guaranty vs. a sail away balcony?

The sail away is less expensive but doesn't come with the free at Sea offers. When I booked the cruise, the price difference was only about $200, so it wasn't worth it but maybe the price difference is more significant at other times?