Anyone done the AMA Bordeaux river cruise in SW France

4774Papa

We were looking a river cruises in Bordeaux (France) and find that fewer cruise lines offer such a cruise.  I see AMA, Grand Circle and Viking do offer such cruises.  Grand Circle's is the best priced, but it is 15 days.  AMA and Viking are both excellent cruise lines (probably AMA gets the edge).  We usually prefer Vantage, but they don't offer one.

For anyone that has take a Bordeaux cruise, can you provide a few details on how you liked the cruise, etc.  We are also considering just doing our own land trip as a cheaper option.

Our friends did this (in 2016, I think) on AMA but were a bit disappointed. This was mainly because the water levels made for more bus trips and less cruising than they'd have liked. They had no issues with AMA. I think this could be fun on a river boat but the distances are short enough that (for me) a land-based independent trip is much more appealing. 

We have visited Bordeaux on an ocean cruise and it was easy to rent a car and drive to St-Emilion one half-day, Sauternes the next half-day. So with a week on my own I suspect I could do much more than I'd do on a river boat.

We did this with Viking in 2015.  Not the most scenic river in Europe.  The ship is mostly a floating hotel as it doesn't travel very far during the week.  On the other hand, the ports/villages were great.  We had great food and the 3 wineries we visited were all great.  Bordeaux itself is a neat city.  If you are looking for fantastic scenery try the Douro in Portugal.

We did this cruise last summer with AMA including the pre cruise in Paris and post cruise in the Loire Valley. We loved it. Great tours included to large and small wineries. Food was wonderful. No issues with water levels. Please contact me if you have more specific questions 

The Garonne is a tidal estuary.  I remember that in Viking's first year on this itinerary they had trouble co-ordinating their daily schedules with the tides, but I believe they figured this out.  I don't understand how there would be low-water issues though.

We just returned from the Viking Forseti last week. Had a wonderful time. Went to several chateaux for wine tastings, beautiful dinner at chateau Kirwan, tasting in Sauterne. Staff was fabulous on ship. Food excellent. Take the day trip to Arcachon for oysters and the Truffle hunt. Fabulous trip. Just do it!

• Like 1