Ruby Princess elevator woes

Cyn874

Alright, I know a bunch of people are about to board the Ruby tomorrow, so I just want to give you a little word of caution to be extra vigilant when taking the elevators. Maybe it's common, but a lot of them have been broken/stuck/under maintenance over the duration of this cruise I'm on, and it seems to be a little worse today. I already got stuck on one elevator at the very aft section by Club Fusion/Horizon Court. It was one on the very end and when taking it down from 15 to deck 8, it reached my floor but the doors sort of went 'Ka-chunk', and didn't open. I heard the recording say, "Emerald, Deck 8." The doors ka-chunked again, but nothing. I tried hitting the alarm button inside the elevator but absolutely nothing happened. I yelled, "HELLO?" and about 5 seconds later the doors opened and a guy was waiting to get on. I came flying off and warned him not to get on that one, I just got stuck. A maintenance guy was just walking by and I told him I got stuck, and he said, "Again??" He said they had just fixed that one. Apparently not! 

One of the other elevators mid ship has a completely black panel where it normally displays what floor it's on, and the button next to it is dark. It looks like it has no power. Another elevator in the same bank (mid ship by the Piazzo) just keeps flashing that it's on deck 10 over and over but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

The other day when we were in Hilo, I was packed in an elevator at nearly full capacity and the power kept dimming. The lights would get very very dim and air conditioning seemed like it was about to turn off, then all the power would come back again. It happened twice just taking it from deck 8 to deck 4 and it was pretty scary. The next couple of days I noticed that particular elevator was hot like it had no AC or air flow. This is all on the April 8-23rd sailing and it happening with all different elevators across 2 different sections of the ship. I think I'll be taking the stairs as much as possible til we get off tomorrow!

Interesting about the elevators.  I don't think I've ever been on a Princess cruise that did not have at least one elevator unavailable for the duration of the cruise.  Cyn's report seems excessive, though.

I am one who will be boarding tomorrow. I am curious, now.  I am going to be monitoring the status of the elevators.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

Alright, I know a bunch of people are about to board the Ruby tomorrow, so I just want to give you a little word of caution to be extra vigilant when taking the elevators. Maybe it's common, but a lot of them have been broken/stuck/under maintenance over the duration of this cruise I'm on, and it seems to be a little worse today. I already got stuck on one elevator at the very aft section by Club Fusion/Horizon Court. It was one on the very end and when taking it down from 15 to deck 8, it reached my floor but the doors sort of went 'Ka-chunk', and didn't open. I heard the recording say, "Emerald, Deck 8." The doors ka-chunked again, but nothing. I tried hitting the alarm button inside the elevator but absolutely nothing happened. I yelled, "HELLO?" and about 5 seconds later the doors opened and a guy was waiting to get on. I came flying off and warned him not to get on that one, I just got stuck. A maintenance guy was just walking by and I told him I got stuck, and he said, "Again??" He said they had just fixed that one. Apparently not! 

One of the other elevators mid ship has a completely black panel where it normally displays what floor it's on, and the button next to it is dark. It looks like it has no power. Another elevator in the same bank (mid ship by the Piazzo) just keeps flashing that it's on deck 10 over and over but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

The other day when we were in Hilo, I was packed in an elevator at nearly full capacity and the power kept dimming. The lights would get very very dim and air conditioning seemed like it was about to turn off, then all the power would come back again. It happened twice just taking it from deck 8 to deck 4 and it was pretty scary. The next couple of days I noticed that particular elevator was hot like it had no AC or air flow. This is all on the April 8-23rd sailing and it happening with all different elevators across 2 different sections of the ship. I think I'll be taking the stairs as much as possible til we get off tomorrow!

I get on the Ruby tomorrow.  The one you got stuck on , facing forward was it on the left or right side?  Which elevator in the middle with  no power or AC?  Will try to avoid them as much possible.

Thanks, I’m a  Cindy too.

• Like 1

Let's see- for the aft elevator I got stuck on, it was the one on the very end closest to the port side, because my room is Starboard. 

The mid elevator with no power - you know the glass elevators that overlook the piazza? So if you are stepping off of those elevators with your back to the piazza, the elevator with no power was the one directly across from the glass elevator, on the left hand side. 

The elevator that I saw acting weird today repeating floor 10 and not seeming to go anywhere was the glass elevator on the left side across from the one with no power. I also saw them doing maintenance on that elevator one day earlier in the cruise, because I was sitting in the piazza and could see the engineers standing on top of it through the glass, doing something. 

Ok I went and took some pictures of the elevators in question. While I was trying to take a picture of the elevator I got stuck on this morning, it got stuck AGAIN! It reached deck 8 and stopped, but the doors didn't open for awhile. There was a couple waiting to get on and they finally opened after a few tries. I warned the couple that it kept getting stuck and urged them to not get on that one, but they said they'd try their luck. Hopefully they were able to get off on another floor. 

This is the elevator that keeps getting stuck with doors closed, port side, aft elevator bank. 

e90777721ecd40249987aaf9bccb5df1.png

Elevator with no power, mid ship elevator bank, left of stairwell. 

8593d1af6e6c161b49b42fed3a88661f.png

Here is the elevator with the dimming power/no AC on some of the Hawaii port days. Mid ship, Starboard side to the right of the hallway and immediate left on the elevator that currently has no power. (However I will note, I have not seen issues with this one since we left Hawaii several days ago.)

d6b6a25a28f0903da1abbe9c7fe92ed5.png

Mid ship elevator bank, Starboard side glass elevator that overlooks Piazza. This is the one that seemed to be stuck on 10 for awhile this morning, and it's also the same elevator that was down for maintenance for a couple of days earlier in the cruise. 

380fe98b5381669c90b407feaa343add.png

I know it's difficult to tell much from the pictures since they all kind of look alike, but hopefully my descriptions helped. Most of these are mid ship, and the one that keeps getting stuck (at least 3 times today) is aft. 

Can't comment on any forward elevators, I haven't been up there much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

I get on the Ruby tomorrow.  The one you got stuck on , facing forward was it on the left or right side?  Which elevator in the middle with  no power or AC?  Will try to avoid them as much possible.

Thanks, I’m a  Cindy too.

Lot's of Cyn's on this thread- I'm a Cynthia!

56 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

Lot's of Cyn's on this thread- I'm a Cynthia!

Thanks for the pictures, you explained it very well. I will do my best to avoid them.  Will try to take the stairs whenever possible.  I would hate to get stuck in an crowded elevator as I am claustrophobic.   I am also a CYNTHIA but go by Cindy.  Hope you enjoyed your cruise.  I’m still packing.  We live in San Diego so only have a 2 hour drive to port.

Cindy

We sailed 28 days on Emerald and one elevator had a problem closing the door. I quickly learned that a sharp blow to the side of the door showing in the "slot" would make the door close. It was "odd" but we dealt with it.

• 4 months later...