ship resupply question

vbscoot

9 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Years ago we were leaving out of Los Angeles and one of my favorite memories from the trip, was watching the port yard action. So many containers being moved around at the same time. Largest port operation I had ever seen.

I really enjoy watching the provision8ng action, about a million rolls of Danny paper, pallets of pineapple, more slabs of beer than you could jump over, the logistics are just incredible

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

we had kangaroo one night and crocodile another night - both locally sourced. The kangaroo was superb - the crocodile was not so good.

On my Volendam Asia Pacific Cruise, Filet of Kangaroo was on the MDR menu one evening when we were in Australian waters.  I tried it and it was excellent.  I have seen crocodile on other menus, but have never been brave enough to try it.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On my Volendam Asia Pacific Cruise, Filet of Kangaroo was on the MDR menu one evening when we were in Australian waters.  I tried it and it was excellent.  I have seen crocodile on other menus, but have never been brave enough to try it.

They (over)cooked the crocodile in a curry/masala flavouring so you could not really taste the crocodile - bit of a waste really.

The roo fillet was done with ratatouille and croquette potatoes - cooked beautifully rare - an absolute delight - probably one of the best meals we have ever had on a cruise ship.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:36 AM, SteveH2508 said:

On an Azamara cruise (Singapore to Sydney) we had kangaroo one night and crocodile another night - both locally sourced. The kangaroo was superb - the crocodile was not so good.

I have had crocodile a couple of times.  Best was in a stew.  It avoided being as rubbery.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, Hlitner said:

Once, when on a HAL cruise, a group of us "harassed" the beverage manager (who was a real friend) about the ship not having any Guinness in cans (they only had bottles).  At the next port he went off the ship and purchased a few cases of Guinness cans :). 

Nice of them.

We were on Grandeur of the Seas in Aug 2017, and the ship sailed with 2 partial bottles of cachaca (Brazilian sugar cane based). And ran out before making port in Bermuda.

NO resupply for the remaining cruise.

We were NOT happy.  Next cruise, I met the Food and Beverage Manager and asked if this would happen on that cruise.  He, and about 6 of his staff all looked me up to assure me that it would NOT happen again. 😄

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I have had crocodile a couple of times.  Best was in a stew.  It avoided being as rubbery.

They cooked it in an Indian masala type dusting. It completely masked the flavour of the crocodile - which rather defeated the whole point.

19 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

They cooked it in an Indian masala type dusting. It completely masked the flavour of the crocodile - which rather defeated the whole point.

I have had it grilled.  You didn't miss much. 😄

On 4/25/2019 at 8:34 PM, GUT2407 said:

Roo really needs to be kept Rare, almost Blue,  in my opinion you didn't miss much with the croc, (mostly tastes like whatever its been feeding on, and that usually means chook

This applies to almost anything:  the saying “you are what you eat” applies to things we eat as well.  Croc or gator - had them both - in my opinion only eaten because it sounds cool.  

Of course, with enough sauce/spice almost anything can be passed off as gourmet cuisine.  Squirrel, possum, groundhog - you name the roadkill and someone, somewhere will fry it up as a culinary expedition.

42 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This applies to almost anything:  the saying “you are what you eat” applies to things we eat as well.  Croc or gator - had them both - in my opinion only eaten because it sounds cool.  

Of course, with enough sauce/spice almost anything can be passed off as gourmet cuisine.  Squirrel, possum, groundhog - you name the roadkill and someone, somewhere will fry it up as a culinary expedition.

Squirrel (grey in UK is vermin) is quite tasty. I first had it out of a mess tin cooked up behind a rifle range, fried up by one of our Permanent Staff Instructors.

A TV show awhile back (Celebrity or Azamara ship) went ashore with a chef while he selected certain perishable items to use in his menu. 

Also, large users of food stuffs commonly issue RFP's for their needs with detailed specifications that must be met by the successful responder.  This includes the location and date, anywhere in the world, that the supplies must be for use by the customer.

So if a ship (actually a large corporation like CCL) orders 25 sides of beef of a certain quality for a ship in Australia, the provider has to make it happen, on time and at the correct location.