JUST FOR FUN...working on the ship

sgttami

1 minute ago, Sean_B said:

The view is outstanding, but the work is actually pretty boring and mundane. Being in the Navy, the bridge can be a little more exciting with large weapons and missiles being fired, but otherwise during peace-time sailing...I left for a reason.

Thank you for your service.  I spent 23 years in the Air Force.  I know what you mean.  Sitting behind a computer in a command center is a bit more challenging and exciting than sitting behind one at the local bank.   

6 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

I left the Navy for the Air Force and became a Senso on the (Canadian) P3.

One of the reasons I've enjoyed the forums for all these years.  It really is a small world when you find out how much people have in common besides a love of cruising.  

I’ve been in corporate I/T for 30 years too and would DEFINATELY NOT want that job on a ship. Couldn’t imagine the intensity of an extended Sev 1 outage of a critical application in the middle of an ocean...  with limited access to vendor support. 

Instead of only interacting with frustrated users experiencing system problems, I’d much rather work at the coffee bar, serving those delicious specialty coffees and pastries. Everyone is happy when they’re getting caffeinated and sugared!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd want to be that person who's always out and about, sunup to sundown, wiping down, mopping up, a little spackle here, a little paint there. Really.  I like to be outdoors and active. I love how those guys always have a cheery smile and howdy do for me, as if I'm the most important thing at that moment. I could spread that kind of joy - while pushing my mop.

I’d like to be an excursion- a for hire photographer for local and beach photography of your family. Personally I would love to purchase such an excursion, or find a reputable photographer to shoot a few professional images of our family off the ship- not the typical rushed pose taken as you’re getting on or off the ship. 

Edited by lensonlife

I’d be the person planning and executing the menu for the buffet because I love to cook and feed people, working the excursions desk, or booking future cruises in Guest Services.  I’d make a good plain-clothes security too because nosy and observant, but mostly nosy. 

1 minute ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

...because I love to cook and feed people, working the excursions desk, or booking future cruises in Guest Services.

Why can't the rest of us be fed?

• Haha 1

I work in safety and regulatory oversight/enforcement, so Safety Officer would be a natural fit. Although my background is all aviation, so I'd have to learn a thing or two about boats first 😁 

Now, if I could throw qualifications out the window, I think restaurant management would be really interesting. Like running the steakhouse or something like that.