If I ... (is it possible too?)

jbethel11

My parents have a cruise booked on a VIFP Club Early Saver Rate Code. I found this excellent deal on the Vista and was wondering if I could change the rate code to a Non-Early Saver Rate Code and pay the $300 difference, which would, in this case, cover the deposit for the Vista, and then cancel the current sailing booked, and rebook to the Vista. Would I get charged any fee given that I changed rate codes? My former PVP said that once my parents put more money down towards the cruise, they would be allowed to change rate codes. If not, no big deal. 

Cancellation of Early Saver would result in $50pp penalty.  Remaining deposit, if any, would not be refunded, but would be available as a credit toward a future cruise.  We have been allowed to apply the credit toward an already booked cruise.

Changing the rate code would involve cancelling and re-booking the cruise which would trigger the penalty.

4 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

Cancellation of Early Saver would result in $50pp penalty.  Remaining deposit, if any, would not be refunded, but would be available as a credit toward a future cruise.  We have been allowed to apply the credit toward an already booked cruise.

Changing the rate code would involve cancelling and re-booking the cruise which would trigger the penalty.

So my PVP lied to me AGAIN? Oh boy, what should I do?

1 minute ago, jbethel11 said:

So my PVP lied to me AGAIN? Oh boy, what should I do?

My best advice would be to read the cruise contract and booking terms on Carnival's website.  You seem to be an intelligent person capable of understanding the legalese and fine print.  Educating yourself and researching before you book your cruise or before trying to change your booking is the only way to be sure you are being given correct information.

2 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

My best advice would be to read the cruise contract and booking terms on Carnival's website.  You seem to be an intelligent person capable of understanding the legalese and fine print.  Educating yourself and researching before you book your cruise or before trying to change your booking is the only way to be sure you are being given correct information.

I understand that it is just that when I called my PVP he said I would be allowed to change rate codes when my parents put more down towards the cruise deposit, to get the lowest fare possible in the future, which is frankly what that is right now ... I don't know what to do NOW. 

It sounds like you are trying to prIce match to an offer that doesn't include a reduced deposit.  In order to get the reduced rate you also accept the deposit terms. Also if you have onboard credit as part of your original booking terms you would lose that unless it is also included in the new offer  

34 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

It sounds like you are trying to prIce match to an offer that doesn't include a reduced deposit.  In order to get the reduced rate you also accept the deposit terms. Also if you have onboard credit as part of your original booking terms you would lose that unless it is also included in the new offer  

Okay, so I am not sure we are on the EXACT same page, however, I do not mind losing onboard credit whatsoever. I just want to switch rate codes, and am willing to put the extra $300 down (for the full deposit, which it requires) in order to do so.

3 hours ago, keywest1 said:

BIG SAVINGS EARLY SAVER BONUS SALE

The Early Saver fare is subject to availability and is capacity controlled. $50 per person deposits is applicable for 2 – 8 day sailings (excluding Alaska & Europe, Mardi Gras, Vista, Horizon, & Panorama sailings). $149 per person deposit is applicable to Mardi Gras, Vista, Horizon, & Panorama sailings. $199 per person deposit is applicable to 9+ day sailings, Alaska & Europe. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Full names are required for each guest. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Price Protection applies to the cruise fare only and does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $48.38 to $412.00, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Early Saver fare is backed by a unique price protection policy (only available to bookings made in USD currency) that allows you to adjust your cruise fare to the best available fare for a like category stateroom (no downgrades allowed) advertised by Carnival and available to the general public. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses and/or fuel supplement if applicable. Carnival will honor your request for price protection if the reduction on the total amount paid for your booking results only from a lower cruise fare and not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, pre-paid gratuities, or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. The guest is responsible for increases to ancillary services such as air, resulting from changes to ship and/or sail date, or adjustments to cruise fare. Early Saver price protection does not apply to group rates, membership programs, charters, select promotional fares, travel agent rebates, or other travel agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public. When re-pricing to a new promotion, guest assumes all terms and conditions of the new promotion and may forfeit any or all features associated with the original fare, such as cabin assignment, onboard credit, an upgrade, special deposit and payment terms, etc. A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between April 25, 2019 and April 27, 2019. Offer is applicable on sailings through April 2021 where Early Saver is available. Request rate codes PEH. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

Take a look at the words in blue. That is what I want to do. I do not care if I lose any incentives (in my case $25 Onboard Credit) AS LONG AS I know that I can cancel the booking AFTER I switched the rate code from an Early Saver to a Past Guest Offer rate code.

Take a look at the words in the red. That would be specific to changing SHIP AND SAIL DATE with the Early Saver rate code. I DO NOT want to change the ship and sail date BEFORE, but rather AFTER I change the rate code to a Past Guest Offer WITH NO PENALTY. Does that make any sense?

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Okay, so I am not sure we are on the EXACT same page, however, I do not mind losing onboard credit whatsoever. I just want to switch rate codes, and am willing to put the extra $300 down (for the full deposit, which it requires) in order to do so.

AFAIK there is no way to go from early saver to another rate code once you are booked ES.

Like mentioned earlier if you want to switch you'd have to cancel your booking which you would be charged $50pp and the rest of the money you have paid towards that cruise will be held for you towards another cruise in the next 2 years.

Plus you'd have to pay the full deposit and it can't be paid out of your credit.

Some people have had luck canceling the one cruise and booking the other without having to pay an all new deposit.

Sounds like there is a miscommunication with your PVP.

3 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

AFAIK there is no way to go from early saver to another rate code once you are booked ES.

Like mentioned earlier if you want to switch you'd have to cancel your booking which you would be charged $50pp and the rest of the money you have paid towards that cruise will be held for you towards another cruise in the next 2 years.

Plus you'd have to pay the full deposit and it can't be paid out of your credit.

Some people have had luck canceling the one cruise and booking the other without having to pay an all new deposit.

Sounds like there is a miscommunication with your PVP.

This is the 3rd time! He keeps on miscommunicating with me! I am sick of it!

10 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

My parents have a cruise booked on a VIFP Club Early Saver Rate Code. I found this excellent deal on the Vista and was wondering if I could change the rate code to a Non-Early Saver Rate Code and pay the $300 difference, which would, in this case, cover the deposit for the Vista, and then cancel the current sailing booked, and rebook to the Vista. Would I get charged any fee given that I changed rate codes? My former PVP said that once my parents put more money down towards the cruise, they would be allowed to change rate codes. If not, no big deal. 

Either your FORMER PVP was wrong, or you misunderstood.  You cannot change to another rate code from ES.  What you can do is price match to another rate code, after you paid the full deposit.

It sounds like you simply want to change their booking to one on the Vista.  That is entirely doable.  Simply call your NEW PVP and change the reservation.  You will need to have the full deposit paid and you will incur a $50 per person penalty for changing (I have done this).

6 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Hi

I don't understand what the problem is. With the early saver booking rate you will always be able to get the lowest offered cabin price for your cabin category  by applying for any price drops (what more do you want), and you can upgrade to a higher cabin classes (as long as you are paying additional funds) without incurring penalties. You do have to be aware that if when you booked you were awarded a promotional OBC and it is not offered with the new price you could lose it. For this right and by agreeing (having made the booking), the understanding is that if you change the booking (which is what they consider you would be doing if you want to change your booking rate), you forfeit at least $50 p/p. 

I gather your parents have paid for the booking and your PVP at best is just being polite responding to you. Why are you bothering the person? In your short time being a member of Cruise Critic, I am certain that you understand that you can get accurate information about bookings as well as the ship and cruise line, on this site.

hope this helps

I am having a hard time following your original question, but I think I may kind of have the jist of it, and may be able to offer some help with the following answers.

If you are already booked in an ES rate, and you see a new lower rate under a different promotion you can switch to that new promotion and take advantage of it without having to cancel.  This may mean you are required to up your deposit amount (if you booked at a reduced deposit, you may now have to pay the full normal deposit) and you may lose onboard credit if it is not part of your new rate as well.  Additionally, it is important to note, that while you have "switched" to this new rate as far as your price paid goes, once an ES booking it stays an ES booking.  I have done this many times - booked an ES rate way before my cruise date, and then found a different special sale that was offering a better price.  I was able to take advantage of that new rate but all the ES rules would still apply if I decided to cancel or such (even if the new rate was, say a past guest where you normally can cancel without penalty).

The other thing I will say is that while there are set rules in place, sometimes a really good PVP can kind of get around those.  I have had a couple times where I really wanted to upgrade from one cruise to another and I was booked under an ES rate, but because the new cruise I was booking was more expensive my PVP was able to get the $50/pp waived for me - he just told his boss "look they want to spend more money with us do you really want to keep them from switching over the $50"

If I understand correctly, which I am not sure about, you want to cancel a cruise on one ship and book a cruise on Vista.  You would need to cancel the cruise booked under ES, which would result in a $50 charge per person, with the remaining money paid credited for another cruise. You can than book the cruise on Vista based on the current offer. After booking the cruise on Vista, you can have the credit from the cancelled cruise applied to the cruise on Vista. 

I think Philly Fan has the right answer and understands the OP wants to cancel an early saver booking on one ship and then book a different rate on the Vista.  I was scrolling through the replies to see if any one got this, and bingo, there it is.

To the OP: let your TA do the legwork and change your booking and enjoy your cruise.  If the OP had booked directly through Carnival, I would say to clearly state what you want to do, and if the agent says you can't do it, then keep calling until you get an agent who says you can.

17 minutes ago, evandbob said:

OP wants to cancel an early saver booking on one ship and then book a different rate on the Vista.

Actually, no. I want to change the current rate I have from an early saver to a past guest offer to take advantage of that deal. 

46 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Actually, no. I want to change the current rate I have from an early saver to a past guest offer to take advantage of that deal. 

You can PRICE MATCH to that deal, but once booked as an Early Saver, you cannot just change to another fare type.

42 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I know he is just a kid, but I can only imagine the Carnival rep’s reaction when he says “but the people on Cruise Critic told me I could do this”.  

I am not going to say this. In fact, I will not mention the word Cruise Critic once. Trust me, "adult"!

On 4/25/2019 at 1:01 AM, jbethel11 said:

Have you asked to speak to a supervisor?! It's possible your frustration level and the PVP's frustration level has reached a point NOTHING said now will be helpful. 

Ask for supervisor, change tone of conversation and you might get the answer that meets your needs.