Question about down deposits

Trish Layman

My family and I cruise a lot (Disney and NCL) but have never cruised with RC. I am looking at a cruise for March 2020. The down deposit is $1,000. If I have to cancel for any reason do I not get that back? It seems like that is what I am reading. If so, can I purchase insurance through Allianz and will they refund that amount? Also, letting RC pick your room...is that a mistake? Or those of you who have done that, have you always been pleased with the room selected for you? Just trying to save a little money this time around as we travel way too much!

2 hours ago, Trish Layman said:

My family and I cruise a lot (Disney and NCL) but have never cruised with RC. I am looking at a cruise for March 2020. The down deposit is $1,000. If I have to cancel for any reason do I not get that back? It seems like that is what I am reading. If so, can I purchase insurance through Allianz and will they refund that amount? Also, letting RC pick your room...is that a mistake? Or those of you who have done that, have you always been pleased with the room selected for you? Just trying to save a little money this time around as we travel way too much!

RC has a refundable rate and a non-refundable rate.  You may want to check both and also get trip insurance for anything not refundable by the cruiseline.

For me personally I have never let the cruiseline select my room.  You might get lucky and get a good cabin, but keep in mind the rooms that are chosen by the cruise line most times are the least desirable cabins that did not sell.  Depends on how lucky you feel...

22 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

RC has a refundable rate and a non-refundable rate.  You may want to check both and also get trip insurance for anything not refundable by the cruiseline.

For me personally I have never let the cruiseline select my room.  You might get lucky and get a good cabin, but keep in mind the rooms that are chosen by the cruise line most times are the least desirable cabins that did not sell.  Depends on how lucky you feel...

And of course, if you cancel after the final payment date, regardless of refundable or non-refundable, there is a schedule of how much you lose that increases as you get closer to the departure date.

By the way, the OP's "letting RC pick your room" could mean either booking a Guarantee Cabin or on the website there is an option to let RC pick or search the deck plan for your own choice. If you select let RC pick, then you get the cabin closest to mid-ship in your chosen cabin class.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:39 AM, Trish Layman said:

Before final payment date you will lose $100.00 per person, the balance will be refunded as a future cruise credit that must be used within 1 year.  Booking a GTY is a crap shoot, be prepared to be assigned the worst cabin in the category you book. If you live in North America  you can change to any other available cabin anywhere on the ship as long as you stay in the same category, you must have a cabin number assigned and not just a deck number.   Make sure you get the cancel for any reason insurance.  If your booking a Oasis class they have 2 types of balcony guarantees , XN for neighborhood and XB for ocean view. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always ask for the refundable deposits.  You never know what can happen that may cause you to cancel a cruise.

Also, we do not like to book guaranteed cabins -- sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.  We know exactly what we want -- thus no surprises.

Your deposit is or is not refundable depending on what happens when you book. Booking another cruise while on your cruise is usually the best deal and when you return your travel agent will get it and may even be able to do better for you. That is almost always a refundable deposit. Not doing the cruise booking on the ship  requiring a refundable deposit and the cruise might cost you a little more. Having cruise insurance will elevate that problem for any medical reason and other reasons. not just because you changed your mind. I never purchaser insurance because my credit card covers up to $5000 per passenger for many reasons. Cruising 4-6 a year and the card charge is $95 year is well worth the charge. Plus 2 points for every dollar. if you book a nonrefundable deposit cruise you might save money in doing so.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:36 PM, twodaywonder said:

Your deposit is or is not refundable depending on what happens when you book. Booking another cruise while on your cruise is usually the best deal and when you return your travel agent will get it and may even be able to do better for you. That is almost always a refundable deposit. Not doing the cruise booking on the ship  requiring a refundable deposit and the cruise might cost you a little more. Having cruise insurance will elevate that problem for any medical reason and other reasons. not just because you changed your mind. I never purchaser insurance because my credit card covers up to $5000 per passenger for many reasons. Cruising 4-6 a year and the card charge is $95 year is well worth the charge. Plus 2 points for every dollar. if you book a nonrefundable deposit cruise you might save money in doing so.

VERY dependent on the cruise line.

Hmmm, your credit card covers $5000.  Good.  My mother's med evac from Halifax was $29,000.   I prefer to not have to come up with $24,000 on short notice.

I may not be making myself clear. This is not for medical. it is to cover any lost expenses on your trip. No matter what it is for. But not medical. One time I had to go to sick bay and see the doctor. They had me in the bed for several hours, took xrays and a cardiogram, gave me medication. Plus medication to take with me. They checked me every day for 4 days. The total cost of which I had to pay at sick bay with my charge card was just over $100.00. Very inexpensive and they did a fantastic job. According to the them. The billing is not connected to the on board account. So payment is made directly at the office. This may differ from cruise line to cruise line That I do not know.