PVSA Violation...or not?

Flamingo15

I'm ON in ST. THOMAS!  The cruise line responded in less than 6 hours, I've been granted the exception, I've called Royal and paid my $65 fee, and have my instructions/documents for boarding available in email.

WHEW!  What a relief.  Thanks all!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flamingo15 said:

I'm ON in ST. THOMAS!  The cruise line responded in less than 6 hours, I've been granted the exception, I've called Royal and paid my $65 fee, and have my instructions/documents for boarding available in email.

WHEW!  What a relief.  Thanks all!

We're all happy for you. Enjoy!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, Flamingo15 said:

Due to a scheduling conflict and family commitment, I cannot board an upcoming cruise at the origination port - Port Canaveral.  I've sent the request to the cruise line to allow me to board in St. Thomas USVI and continue on the cruise with the other 6 members of this cruise party.  St. Thomas is a US port, and I know the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PSVA) does not allow for embarking in one US port and then terminating in another US port, some extenuating circumstances and exceptions may be granted. The PSVA however clearly states that it does not apply to the Virgin Islands (per 46 USC 55101(b)(3) ).  Perhaps this only means a closed-loop itinerary within the Virgin Islands...idk. Additionally, another caveat of the PSVA with regard to embarking/disembarking in different US ports is that a stop must be made in a foreign country.  In my case, after St. Thomas we would be visiting St. Maarten.  It would seem to me my case would not necessarily violate the PVSA, but curious if others have experience with this particular scenario or are well versed with strict application of the law.  Meanwhile, I'll wait to hear back from the cruise line if my exception will be granted.

While it may not be a violation most main stream cruise lines do not allow downstream boarding as a matter of policy.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

While it may not be a violation most main stream cruise lines do not allow downstream boarding as a matter of policy.

And, if you had read to the end of the thread, you'll find they've been OK'd to board downstream.