Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 18

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 29 and Sunday, May 5.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I have been waiting quite a few days for the sun to come so that I could take some decent pictures -- hasn't happened.  

So I took pictures anyway -- they are not the best.

Apple tree flowers:

enhance

Lily of the Valley flowers:

enhance

Honeysuckle flower bush:

enhance

I know what you mean on the sun, Krazy.  We've had sunny moments here in Florida, but we've had a whole lot more rain - the last 5 days in a row including the whole weekend, we had 2-4 inches of rain each day with some heavy lightning storms...looks like the summer has officially begun down here.  Even when I'd get out in a bit of sun to go shoot, it would go away within an hour and turn to black skies and booming thunder, causing me to flee back to the car.

Still, I got in a small window of wildlife shooting out at the very very flooded wetlands on Saturday...some of the birds I just posted in the last week's thread lost their nests and were gone as the mud flats they were feeding and nesting on are now 2 feet underwater!  Here's what I found this week:

A water snake - certainly happy with all the water now available in our very wet wetlands:

original.jpg

A blue dragonfly doing a handstand:

original.jpg

A smug-looking basilisk lizard on a sawed tree trunk stump, getting some sun while it was available:

original.jpg

A baby green heron, out wandering through the wet plants that were dry less than a week before:

original.jpg

A downy woodpecker, searching in the branches for some juicy grubs to eat, scored the motherload - he had probably 6-8 grubs in his bill at once:

original.jpg

A least bittern, hiding down in the shadows of the leaves under the tall reeds where he thought he couldn't be seen...but I managed to find a gap in the reeds to shoot him through:

original.jpg

• Like 2

As part of a class, a group went to a central PA site called Lake Tobias.  Here are a few from yet another misty spring day:

A%20Lake%20Tobias%20-05-04-2019-626.jpg

A%20Lake%20Tobias%20-05-04-2019-1002%20M

A%20Lake%20Tobias%20-05-04-2019-167%20Cr

A%20Lake%20Tobias%20-05-04-2019-1078%20C

All animals are captive, most are free roaming.  Nice place in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

Seems we are in the middle of a windy/rainy season in Chicago but Sunday 5th was a pleasant day so we visited the Botanic Gardens.

46994505004_c40bb8bacc_b.jpg

47731625622_d23b0ec31d_b.jpg

46994564154_57510b6f34_b.jpg

46867504925_82478eb94e_b.jpg

46994578734_1098ce6f39_b.jpg

One of the 3 Japanese Islands

46994581554_31a065446d_b.jpg

47731658442_5d31e086d1_b.jpg

46867492945_0f985d1d68_b.jpg

46994596364_bb760890fd_b.jpg

46867496945_499059d133_b.jpg

Norris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday found us in a downtown Dublin hotel weary from a red-eye flight and the 7-hour time shift. Sleep was needed so we could arrive bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the ship the next day. We were coming back to the city at the end of the trip, so we didn’t push it and try to squeeze in any extra sightseeing, electing to nap the afternoon away instead. Awakening around 10pm, we heard a faint rhythmic thumping. It wasn’t enough to keep one awake but it was a curious sound for a hotel room. A small sign on the nightstand had said something about new windows for “peaceful sleep”. Having dismissed it earlier, I decided to look and see why windows would help you sleep...

That Explains It

p3426257806-5.jpg

Dave