Possible B2B on Magic BUT...

Ok I've searched for this answer (didn't find it) and before I call Carnival wondering if my fellow cruisecritic members might have the answer.

We are currently booked on Carnival Magic 8 days 4/25-5/3/20....I am looking to surprise DH with a B2B Carnival Magic 6 day 5/3-5/9/20 BUT our embarkation for the first leg is in Ft Lauderdale and that 2nd leg would be Miami....so my question is- would we have to debark in Ft Lauderdale and then get to the port of Miami for the second leg or would they let us stay on and then have all B2B go thru customs in Miami instead of Ft Lauderdale?

Anyone ever done this?  

3 hours ago, Buffalofirsttimer4 said:

Ok I've searched for this answer (didn't find it) and before I call Carnival wondering if my fellow cruisecritic members might have the answer.

We are currently booked on Carnival Magic 8 days 4/25-5/3/20....I am looking to surprise DH with a B2B Carnival Magic 6 day 5/3-5/9/20 BUT our embarkation for the first leg is in Ft Lauderdale and that 2nd leg would be Miami....so my question is- would we have to debark in Ft Lauderdale and then get to the port of Miami for the second leg or would they let us stay on and then have all B2B go thru customs in Miami instead of Ft Lauderdale?

Anyone ever done this?  

I wonder how it will get to Miami that fast for a turnaround? I know Miami is like 30 miles away so at most it would take them 2 hours. I would think that they'd let you stay on the ship because of the circumstances, or at least provide you with private transportation! 

I have nothing to offer about what B2B will do. But I was curious about this one too.  So I looked at the May 3rd out of Miami and it doesn't leave until 9:00pm so that's how they can do the turnaround.   Good luck with your B2B and if they let you stay on the ship that would be a fantastic time on an empty ship.

• Like 1

Wow! That would be pretty awesome if you could stay on board... but part of me thinks you would have to get off as the other manifest is with Miami... but than again I am soooo not an expert. Let us know!:) 

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that this would be allowed due to the Passenger Safety Act. Foreign flagged vessels are not allowed to transport passengers between American ports with out first stopping at a distant foreign port being involved. 

If the B2B trip starts and ends in the same port it would not be a problem. However getting from Fort Lauderdale to Miami to start the 2nd cruise will most likely be a violation of the PSVA.

For this reason most of the repositioning cruises require a stop over in either Aruba, Curacao, or Bonaire. Cartagena Columbia also appears to count for Panama Canal cruises.

Every cruise that I have taken so far that started and stopped in different ports have stopped at one of these ports.

Due to the reasons above I think you will have to transport yourself between the ports.

Edited by Hooked Already
forgot to add info about self transport.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buffalofirsttimer4 said:

thanks everyone, I've reached out to John H on his page to see what he says is the protocol for back to backs from different starting ports and will let you know what he says.

Happy Sailing! 

I am curious to hear what he has to say, assuming he replies. I think Hooked Already has provided the correct guidance for this situation. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalofirsttimer4 said:

response so far from John H

John  H response.jpg

Having to take all of your luggage off stinks. You have to pack, unpack. It seems like you'll lose most of that time on board without other passengers. You pretty much lose all of the benefits of a B2B.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Having to take all of your luggage off stinks. You have to pack, unpack. It seems like you'll lose most of that time on board without other passengers. You pretty much lose all of the benefits of a B2B.

that's what we are thinking, just waiting for John to completely verify that we cannot in fact leave our luggage on the ship

If you end up doing this, maybe you should treat Miami/Ft Lauderdale as a port day, and be one of the last to board the ship for the 2nd leg, even if you end up needing to go by the port first to drop off your luggage.  Getting off 1 leg, taking a 40ish minute drive, just to hurry up and wait at the other port doesn't sound like a great day, especially if you are tired from the first leg.  

• 1 month later...

I surprised my hubby with a B2B last year on the Sunshine. It was on the Sunshine and the surprise was a 5 night in the same cabin after our 8 night. I kept the secret for about a year and blew it while we were onboard the first day. He was so shocked, it was wonderful. I hope you get to do one sometime.