Another internet question (sorry)

kaerofan

My daughter and I are leaving on the Royal this coming Saturday and I'm not clear on the new internet packages.  Because she is a teenager and is usually glued to her phone I really do not want to purchase the unlimited package.  As for myself I am content with just checking my email daily.  We are both platinum and in the past the free minutes were enough - are the free minutes still offered?  Also, just wondering at what age her benefits of being platinum kick in (she is 16)?, on our last cruise she did not receive any of her perks due to her age - which seemed a little crazy?

You will still get the free minutes (not sure about your daughter and the age limits).  If you chose to turn in your minutes for the unlimited, I believe the price is $60 for the week, whether you choose to pre-purchase it online or once on the cruise.  

I think the discounted rate for the price of $52 for the unlimited package for the week is available for elites onboard ... if you cave, you may want to check if that is good for platinum as well.  You could always share the unlimited package with your daughter but only one device at a time can be used. 

But, I'm with you ... it is nice that people cannot actually be glued to their phones at the dinner table or at a show.  If you think your 150 minutes will be sufficient, they are still offered and the internet is super fast and doesn't drop your connection with the Medallion Net on the Royal.  

thank you - I think 150 minutes should be fine, but did think about sharing the unlimited package, the problem is the daily roaming fees of $8 a day as well as the Canadian exchange makes it quite a bit more.

8 minutes ago, kaerofan said:

thank you - I think 150 minutes should be fine, but did think about sharing the unlimited package, the problem is the daily roaming fees of $8 a day as well as the Canadian exchange makes it quite a bit more.

Roaming fee? 

For the unlimited internet onboard?

19 minutes ago, kaerofan said:

19 minutes ago, kaerofan said:

No daily roaming fees. Just put your phone on airplane mode or turn of your data and use the wifi if you purchase the unlimited plan. 

15 hours ago, kaerofan said:

Fellow Canadian here, actually on the Royal right now, using the Medallion net system. NO roaming charges, as others have said, this has nothing to do with your cell data, and the cost of the Unlimited package came out to $77 CAD when I pre-ordered it a few months ago. The cost for your trip may be a bit different if the exchange rate has shifted. I have the unlimited package, and my wife just kept her 150 free minutes. The system works great.