NEW TIPPING POLICY

Tablelamp

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes that it is included in the cruise fare and is not expected of course unless you receive exceptional service above what is normal from somebody then a cash tip would be welcome.

Yes, I agree and it is stated clearly in P&Os marketing information as they see it as a positive selling point.

This is an extract from a P&O brochure.

"On other holidays you’ll tip the waiter after a fabulous dinner, the bar staff for your tropical cocktails, housekeeping for your fresh towels and inviting beds… On a P&O Cruises holiday, you’ll enjoy the same levels of fantastic service but tipping isn’t required or expected. Instead, you can relax and soak it all up, knowing good service and good times are all simply part and parcel of your experience."

Edited by P-L-B

3 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Yes, I agree and it is stated clearly in P&Os marketing information as they see it as a positive selling point.

"On other holidays you’ll tip the waiter after a fabulous dinner, the bar staff for your tropical cocktails, housekeeping for your fresh towels and inviting beds… On a P&O Cruises holiday, you’ll enjoy the same levels of fantastic service but tipping isn’t required or expected. Instead, you can relax and soak it all up, knowing good service and good times are all simply part and parcel of your experience."

P and O made a point of saying in several publications that although the automatic gratuities would be stopped after May, that didnt mean the overall cruise price would increase to reflect that. However, some people have reported that although they may not increase after May, after the announement last year the prices increased for cruises this year. Some had already booked their cruise well in advance and compared the prices noting that there was a definite increase at that time.

2 minutes ago, mary heyworth said:

P and O made a point of saying in several publications that although the automatic gratuities would be stopped after May, that didnt mean the overall cruise price would increase to reflect that. However, some people have reported that although they may not increase after May, after the announement last year the prices increased for cruises this year. Some had already booked their cruise well in advance and compared the prices noting that there was a definite increase at that time.

I was under the impression that prices usually go up nearer the date of the cruise,but if there is a general price increase it could also be other factors the price of oil for one.

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I was under the impression that prices usually go up nearer the date of the cruise,but if there is a general price increase it could also be other factors the price of oil for one.

Yes of course you are right with regards to other factors which may affect the price. This was not from personal experience but comments from very regular cruisers who said there was an irregular increase that in their opinion was not related to those you mention. It was suggested, true or not that the prices were increased quite a long time before May this year so that it would not be as noticable. If its true also that the gratuities are needed to shore up perhaps low wages then the money has to come from somewhere. Some people will always tip for good service to the crew they think deserve it and others not. With so many cruiselines building new ships every year then I imagine they need to be quite competitive to get the best staff so if other cruiselines pay more because they have automatic gratuities then it stands to reason the crew will chose their ships. As always an interesting debate !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mary heyworth said:

I paid £4200 for my 14n cruise (2ad 2ch) prior to the announcement, subsequently the price has risen to over £5700 and has stayed around the same price. I keep a close eye on prices and they rose in unison with the other Carnival brands, which have still stayed high.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, P-L-B said:

My new TA told me Great news you have no tips to pay so it is great value.

As a diehard tipper I will still tip cash to any crew member who gives us excellent service most likely in the speciality restaurant.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I paid £4200 for my 14n cruise (2ad 2ch) prior to the announcement, subsequently the price has risen to over £5700 and has stayed around the same price. I keep a close eye on prices and they rose in unison with the other Carnival brands, which have still stayed high.

Thanks for sharing,very interesting.

The price of our cruise, in 2021 has increased from £9600 (2 adults) to £11500, in the last 4 weeks. This is partially due to the removal of the 10% discount promotion, but also due to the fluid pricing that P&O, use, like most other cruise lines. Trying to determine the base cabin cost for any cruise is almost  impossible,  with different cabin grades,  varying obc etc, so trying to determine how much impact the removal of the autotips has had on the pricing structure, is a fruitless exercise. It does seem to be an accepted fact that the earlier you book, the better the price you will get. Certainly this was the case with our cruise.

Prices increase and decrease at varying points from brochure release until closer to the cruise. This has always been the case and cannot be attributed to  removal of tips or anything else. Cruise prices vary on how good or bad they are selling and has always been the case with fluid pricing.

I see no increase in cruise prices at all. I only book on day one and my B2B on Iona is one of the cheapest suites I have ever booked. Less than Ventura this year. And £50pppn down on most.

When  prices go up it is a sign of the cruise selling well, as has bee said. Perhaps most cruises are selling well at a higher price and this is covering the extra needed to replace tips.