Scenic Eclipse News

Just so you know, we did not tag our roll on luggage nor did Scenic ask us to do so as it was always with us.  And remember they have both free self service laundry and paid laundry onboard which may allow you to take a lot less.  Please keep the cruise critic website updated so everybody can learn of how this works out and enjoy your impressions of your cruise once you are onboard.  We loved our Antarctica  cruise even though it was on a larger ship.  And the steaks in Buenos Aires are not to be missed!  Best beef in the world.

1 minute ago, RockyandMoose said:

Just so you know, we did not tag our roll on luggage nor did Scenic ask us to do so as it was always with us.  And remember they have both free self service laundry and paid laundry onboard which may allow you to take a lot less.  Please keep the cruise critic website updated so everybody can learn of how this works out and enjoy your impressions of your cruise once you are onboard.  We loved our Antarctica  cruise even though it was on a larger ship.  And the steaks in Buenos Aires are not to be missed!  Best beef in the world.

Thanks for the great info...I knew about the laundry, but really don't want to spend too much time in there!! Especially after the story about the clogged up filters and failure to drain the water in the washer!!  Hopefully they've worked that all out!!!  I am planning on starting a new thread once we are onboard to update everyone...I'll let everyone here know where to find it once I get it started.  I am beyond sure that we will have a fantastic time.  I am just one of those crazy Type-A people who has to have literally everything worked out ahead of time.  Can't wait to try that Argentinian beef either!!!  Thanks again!

We always pack an empty nylon duffle bag in an outer pocket of a suitcase.  If the airline ever complains about overweight [and we have been close 😟] the plan is to pull stuff out of the heavy cases and put it in the duffel.  Airline charges for an extra bag are usually less than the 'overweight' charge.

We understand exactly.  Luggage Forward can transport from Ushuaia to CA.  Maybe luggage concierge does too.  That may be cheaper than the extra luggage fees charged by the airlines.  We have never used either service but it may be an option. For steaks in B.A. check out Parrila Cero 5 for lunch or dinner!

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We always pack an empty nylon duffle bag in an outer pocket of a suitcase.  If the airline ever complains about overweight [and we have been close 😟] the plan is to pull stuff out of the heavy cases and put it in the duffel.  Airline charges for an extra bag are usually less than the 'overweight' charge.

That's actually a great idea.  Unfortunately we don't have outside pockets in our luggage, but we could easily put one on top.  I'm just going to pack what we need...if we have to take an extra carry on (we don't plan on taking one now, just our backpacks) to fit everything in, we will just deal with it when we get there.  If they don't let us take it on because we also have backpacks, we'll just pay the overage.  Life's too short, and this trip is too special for us, to worry about a relatively small charge (certainly small compared to what the cruise is costing us!!!!).  Thanks for the idea though...it might come in handy!!!

11 minutes ago, RockyandMoose said:

We understand exactly.  Luggage Forward can transport from Ushuaia to CA.  Maybe luggage concierge does too.  That may be cheaper than the extra luggage fees charged by the airlines.  We have never used either service but it may be an option. For steaks in B.A. check out Parrila Cero 5 for lunch or dinner!

Thank you for that info on Luggage Forward.  I had no idea anything like that operated out of Ushuaia.  Definitely an option to look into.  And we will check out Parrila Cero 5!!!

6 minutes ago, towel-animal said:

In just two long-anticipated days, we'll begin our journey on Scenic Eclipse. All the posts in this thread have been so helpful and I'd like to help others in return by keeping our own trip report. Anyone interested in following along simply need to check it out via this thread.

We will definitely be following along with you!  I'm curious to know if the towel racks have been installed yet (your name reminded me)!!  Safe travels!!

Tami

17 minutes ago, towel-animal said:

In just two long-anticipated days, we'll begin our journey on Scenic Eclipse. All the posts in this thread have been so helpful and I'd like to help others in return by keeping our own trip report. Anyone interested in following along simply need to check it out via this thread.

Thanks so much! I have popped on to that other thread and look forward to reading your detailed review!

37 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Question to all Eclipse guests - which excursion is better, helicopter or submarine?  Which excursion is better for Antarctica, and which for submarine?

i can choose only two out of the four combinations.

Are you able to pre-book the excursions?  I've been told we have to wait until we are onboard to book anything, including the sub and helo.

In referring to the four combinations I am presuming you were referring to the fact that there are both short and long sessions on the helicopters. There is only one duration as far as I recall with the submarine. Having been to antArctica before I would recommend talking with the submarine Captain to see whether he feels that the views will be good or that it would be better to see the sights from the air. I could see doing a short session on the helicopter and a session on the submarine as a good way of experiencing both adventures. For us the issue of clarity of the water makes a big difference in deciding whether to dive on the submarine. If there are strong currents or other ships in the area which would disturb the ocean floor and make it hard to see the sea life and other things under the water then it’s best to skip The submarine. When we embarked on our cruise in September we had to speed to doing the submarine only. When the only day for the submarine originally planned was scratched because the weather we then decided we wanted to experience something exciting in terms of adventures and opted for the helicopter.

After we rode on the helicopter within a day or so scenic announced that it had made arrangements for another day for the submarine to dive so we went and did that as well. We enjoyed both tremendously and are looking forward particularly to using the submarine The submarine. When we embarked on our cruise in September we anticipated doing the submarine only. When the only day for the submarine originally planned was scratched because the weather we then decided we wanted to experience something exciting in terms of adventures and opted for the helicopter.

After we wrote on the helicopter within a day or so scenic announced that it had made arrangements for another day for the submarine to dive so we went and did that as well. We enjoyed both tremendously and are looking forward particularly to using the submarineOn one of our upcoming Cruises which will have us more north first in the Arctic archipelago and then in the Northwest passage where we expect of the seas may be a bit more steel and visibility might be vastly improved.

Whichever choice you make we are sure you will have a wonderful time. The pilots and crew are extremely experienced, extremely conservative and make even the most anxious of first time adventurers feel very comfortable and reassured.

Tahoe traveler. By our calculation you’ve been on the ship almost a week and we haven’t heard a peep! Are you having so much fun that you don’t have any time to report? Hopefully you made the ship and all is well. Continue to enjoy but do let us in on the fun so that we can enjoy it vicariously.

2 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Tahoe traveler. By our calculation you’ve been on the ship almost a week and we haven’t heard a peep! Are you having so much fun that you don’t have any time to report? Hopefully you made the ship and all is well. Continue to enjoy but do let us in on the fun so that we can enjoy it vicariously.

Sorry, no we don't board the ship until Friday, 8 November.  I will start a new post then.  I believe this post was in reply to towel-animal, who is currently onboard the Eclipse. 

3 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Question to all Eclipse guests - which excursion is better, helicopter or submarine?  Which excursion is better for Antarctica, and which for submarine?

i can choose only two out of the four combinations.

I think you may need to play this by ear when you are on the ship and see what options are offered. We have been to Antarctica on an expedition cruise but the ship did not have any helicopters or submarines. I would imagine there would be an opportunity to go in a submarine as the water was fairly calm in many of the landings we went to. We were able to view penguins and seals swimming in the water from land, and seeing them from a submarine would be amazing! I also think there might be opportunities to fly over the glaciers in a helicopter and view the incredible scenery from the sky. This is all new for Scenic too as this will be the first season for them sailing in Antarctica. Both options will be great so I would try them both if you can. 

3 hours ago, TahoeTraveler said:

Are you able to pre-book the excursions?  I've been told we have to wait until we are onboard to book anything, including the sub and helo.

You are right about having to wait until we are onboard to book.  Scenic just wants to poll for interest.  Both submarine and helicopter are potentially (weather and sea permitting) available for two days in Falkland Islands and five days in Antarctica.  I want to take both submarine and helicopter, but do not know where, Falkland Islands or Antarctica.

Just re-read my post, and realized the typo which caused confusion to readers.

3 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

In referring to the four combinations I am presuming you were referring to the fact that there are both short and long sessions on the helicopters. There is only one duration as far as I recall with the submarine. Having been to antArctica before I would recommend talking with the submarine Captain to see whether he feels that the views will be good or that it would be better to see the sights from the air. I could see doing a short session on the helicopter and a session on the submarine as a good way of experiencing both adventures. For us the issue of clarity of the water makes a big difference in deciding whether to dive on the submarine. If there are strong currents or other ships in the area which would disturb the ocean floor and make it hard to see the sea life and other things under the water then it’s best to skip The submarine. When we embarked on our cruise in September we had to speed to doing the submarine only. When the only day for the submarine originally planned was scratched because the weather we then decided we wanted to experience something exciting in terms of adventures and opted for the helicopter.

After we rode on the helicopter within a day or so scenic announced that it had made arrangements for another day for the submarine to dive so we went and did that as well. We enjoyed both tremendously and are looking forward particularly to using the submarine The submarine. When we embarked on our cruise in September we anticipated doing the submarine only. When the only day for the submarine originally planned was scratched because the weather we then decided we wanted to experience something exciting in terms of adventures and opted for the helicopter.

After we wrote on the helicopter within a day or so scenic announced that it had made arrangements for another day for the submarine to dive so we went and did that as well. We enjoyed both tremendously and are looking forward particularly to using the submarineOn one of our upcoming Cruises which will have us more north first in the Arctic archipelago and then in the Northwest passage where we expect of the seas may be a bit more steel and visibility might be vastly improved.

Whichever choice you make we are sure you will have a wonderful time. The pilots and crew are extremely experienced, extremely conservative and make even the most anxious of first time adventurers feel very comfortable and reassured.

Sorry about my typo.  I meant to mention Falkland Islands as an additional landing, not two sessions of different durations.

Sounds like you enjoyed submarine more than helicopter, although you find both enjoyable. 
The four combinations are

1. helicopter Falkland Islands

2. submarine Falkland Islands

3. helicopter Antarctica Peninsula

4. submarine Antarctica Peninsula

I can do only two.  Which 2 ?

In terms of Helicopter and Submarine trips, certainly on our current cruise they don't confirm when and where until on board and then confirm a few days before each trip.  The sub dives were only scheduled for about 4 or 5 of the entire 20 day cruise and some were cancelled due to the swell which made transfer between the zodiak and sub dangerous.  Similarly, some helicopter flights were cancelled due to visibility and weather.  I believe that they also have to obtain local permits to use the sub and maybe the helicopter so that can also limit availablity.

I did a 75 minute dive off Isla de le Providencia and went down over 200m!!!  We had a scientist on board who was responsible for the protected area and this was the first time anyone had been given permission to explore like this.  It was amazing.  For me the most fabulous part was the scientist explaining that there were 4 types of angel fish on this reef and then becoming extremely excited because he had just seen (and photographed) a 5th.

On board things are settling down.  The staff are great and do everything possible to make the guests happy.  In Portobelo the morning excursions were initially cancelled due to a protest on the only road out.  The team on board were amazing.  They arranged a quick tour of Portobelo (not a wonderful place) while they continued to try to negotiate with police and protestors but to no avail.  Suddenly the protest broke up and they got the coaches through and adjusted the tours to suit as best they could.  We did a long trip to Panama City and it turned out to be one of the best excursions we have done.  Everyting was late due to traffic and we were the last back on board.  WHen we got to the jetty the police were there, smiling, and our tender was loaded with us and last minute ships items.  A great day thanks to the xpedition team never giving up.  Others would probably have let it go as it was out of their control - not these guys.

There are a few oddities on board that I'm certain will be changed over the next year.  The small swimming pool in the Yacht Club is a waste of space.  I haven't seen anyone use it though I believe one guest did for a few minutes.  When there is any swell the Yacht Club floor floods and makes dining "interesting".

Some cabins still haven't been finished and there are workmen on board.  The 125 guests on board for the first part of the cruise has now swelled to 147.

The on board accounts system is ***********.  My wife and I had on-board credit as well as a free sub dive.  When I looked at the account on the TV it appeared that they had failed to credit the dive.  After much confusion it appears that we both have separate accounts and only one is visible on the TV.  I had to get them amalgamated otherwise at the end of the trip we would have lost my wife's credits and I would probably have paid additionally for these on my only visible account.

It is apparent that they have limited storage for wine and other items as some cabins are being used for this purpose which means that the sommelier, Krystina, has real difficulty managing her stocks and finding particular wines.  She has been doing a wine tasting on each cruiser and it's worth confirming early as spaces are limited and they go fast.  She is passionate about her subject and extremely knowledgeable.

Only a few more days left for us but it's been good.  For those following on, enjoy and let us know how she continues to improve. 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, Holy Roller said:

In terms of Helicopter and Submarine trips, certainly on our current cruise they don't confirm when and where until on board and then confirm a few days before each trip.  The sub dives were only scheduled for about 4 or 5 of the entire 20 day cruise and some were cancelled due to the swell which made transfer between the zodiak and sub dangerous.  Similarly, some helicopter flights were cancelled due to visibility and weather.  I believe that they also have to obtain local permits to use the sub and maybe the helicopter so that can also limit availablity.

I did a 75 minute dive off Isla de le Providencia and went down over 200m!!!  We had a scientist on board who was responsible for the protected area and this was the first time anyone had been given permission to explore like this.  It was amazing.  For me the most fabulous part was the scientist explaining that there were 4 types of angel fish on this reef and then becoming extremely excited because he had just seen (and photographed) a 5th.

On board things are settling down.  The staff are great and do everything possible to make the guests happy.  In Portobelo the morning excursions were initially cancelled due to a protest on the only road out.  The team on board were amazing.  They arranged a quick tour of Portobelo (not a wonderful place) while they continued to try to negotiate with police and protestors but to no avail.  Suddenly the protest broke up and they got the coaches through and adjusted the tours to suit as best they could.  We did a long trip to Panama City and it turned out to be one of the best excursions we have done.  Everyting was late due to traffic and we were the last back on board.  WHen we got to the jetty the police were there, smiling, and our tender was loaded with us and last minute ships items.  A great day thanks to the xpedition team never giving up.  Others would probably have let it go as it was out of their control - not these guys.

There are a few oddities on board that I'm certain will be changed over the next year.  The small swimming pool in the Yacht Club is a waste of space.  I haven't seen anyone use it though I believe one guest did for a few minutes.  When there is any swell the Yacht Club floor floods and makes dining "interesting".

Some cabins still haven't been finished and there are workmen on board.  The 125 guests on board for the first part of the cruise has now swelled to 147.

The on board accounts system is ***********.  My wife and I had on-board credit as well as a free sub dive.  When I looked at the account on the TV it appeared that they had failed to credit the dive.  After much confusion it appears that we both have separate accounts and only one is visible on the TV.  I had to get them amalgamated otherwise at the end of the trip we would have lost my wife's credits and I would probably have paid additionally for these on my only visible account.

It is apparent that they have limited storage for wine and other items as some cabins are being used for this purpose which means that the sommelier, Krystina, has real difficulty managing her stocks and finding particular wines.  She has been doing a wine tasting on each cruiser and it's worth confirming early as spaces are limited and they go fast.  She is passionate about her subject and extremely knowledgeable.

Only a few more days left for us but it's been good.  For those following on, enjoy and let us know how she continues to improve. 

We board on Friday, and I am starting a new thread under the “Other Cruise Line” tab, titled “Live from the Scenic Eclipse to Antarctica, 8 November.”  Feel free to join us there...and thank you for the updates!

• 3 months later...
On 8/16/2019 at 12:34 AM, drron29 said:

Our "we will not sail on maiden voyages"is still our reality.

I told Rojann the same thing yesterday.  I hope your good friends Jack and Ann know what they are getting themselves into on their upcoming maiden voyage. 😉 There is no way I'd do a maiden voyage.  Heck, I'm worried enough about us all being on the 10th voyage!

Heading back to page 5 to continue reading this thread.  Hope it gets better.

• Like 1