Scenic Eclipse News

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Rocky and Dave, I just finally caught up on reading, and appreciate your postings.

We were booked on the circumnavigation of Iceland, which was the last cruise to be cancelled prior to the maiden voyage.  It sounds like things are looking up and will certainly be considering a future booking.

My apologies if this has been addressed before, but wondering if there is an additional charge for Lumiere, Chef's table, or any other dining venues?

Bob

There are no additional charges for dining in any and all venues on the yacht.  Everything is included.  If you want to purchase wine of a higher quality or rarer vintage than the plethora offered, then you would pay for those items (like Cristal Champagne) from the Chairman's list.  The bottom line is just as Scenic advertises....everything is included UNLESS you book a ride on the helicopters, you book an adventure on the submarine or you have a spa treatment like a massage.  If you done none of those things, you could leave the ship not owing a single penny.  Of course, in our opinion, to not use the helicopter or submarine would be a real mistake.  It is all part of the adventure and the redundancy of safety aspects is very reassuring as is this fact that the vice captain is the one who operates the submarine!

1 hour ago, milepig said:

I'm surprised that your butler hasn't put away your suitcase for you.  LOL

I assure you he offered.  And he offered to unpack us and pack us.  But we took the photos before we unpacked.  And when we were done unpacking, rather than summon the butler to do it, we did it ourselves as is our custom.  On the last day, we removed our suitcases ourselves from under the bed where we also stowed our backpacks, and packed them before the butler arrived to help us get the suitcases out and offered to pack them for us.  He was amazed to find that we were all ready to go with our packing and did not require assistance.  I guess that is a function of being a wee bit Type A!

We liked our butler Sandeep a lot.  Very young and charming.  But he had little to do for us.  We do not have coffee in the room, we only used breakfast room service one time (as we were usually meeting new found friends for breakfast each morning) and we did not need canapes or cocktail service preferring to enjoy the latter in the lobby lounge with friends we had met.  So we were low maintenance.  Same holds true with the room attendant Camila who was a gem!  We are neat people who do not need the sheets changed every day and pick up after ourselves so cleaning our room was probably easy and quick for her and not a housekeeping expedition!

I would note, seriously, that we did not ask, and I should have done so, but I saw no reference to shoe shining service and I needed it while onboard.  On Crystal shoes can be shined and there is a bag in the room for that purpose.  There was none on the Eclipse so we did not ask.  

3 minutes ago, czardas said:

Ok so who’s the next to sail on the Eclipse? I’m not on until early February for the Antarctic and then again in August for Iceland & Greenland. 

We're not on until 22nd May 2021. Doing the Barcelona to Amsterdam sailing via Atlantic.

Holy Roller and Towel-animal 

We will also be on-board from Cartagena to Lima.

I really appreciate all the details from  Rocky moose, it has made the anticipation even more exciting. Hopefully the little niggles will be ironed out, but we won't mind the small stuff. Looking forward to it all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Old Arne said:

We are doing Venice to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Amsterdam in 2021.   Originally Barcelona to Venice in April  this year.   We are taking our first scenic cruise next year with river cruises in France.

See you in Barcelona

On 9/24/2019 at 10:12 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Never going to happen for this year..... maybe 2020 but the ship will not be done in less than four months..... sorry. 

If you want to talk about  April  2022, 2023 then maybe you have a chance. But guests have a better chance of sailing on the RMS Titanic in 2019, then this Scenic Ship. 

It is your money and your choice, But the ship will not sail in August 2019.... And if they lose the appeal of the lawsuit or file for bankruptcy it will be years or maybe never until you get a refund. Scenic  is cash poor and in trouble they have lied to many guests before you so why do you think they are not lying now?  

I would be booking a back up plan now, or you will be staying home.

Anyone who stays with them should lose your money, because everything has been done to warn you and you still will not listen. Scenic is a dying cruise line built on a house of cards, that will fall like they all do.

good luck seeing this ship ever come out of the shipyard.  Because of the criminal case ownership of the ship can be questioned.  So even if the cruise line has complete proof it owns the ship, it could be tied up for years in court. Criminal cases in this part of the World are not fast, they move very slow. 

The ship is a hard asset with value that was produced in the shipyard, since fraud is involved all those owed money can make claims against it. Yes someday the ship will be cruising but the odds of it cruising for Scenic are very low at this point.  In all likely hood the ship will be ruled a asset of the yard and sold at public auction. Scenic does not have the cash on hand to pay for the ship again at auction. 

As for the cruise ship under construction, the chances of it ever cruising under Scenic or slim at best.

And you were soooo sure, eh? Not so vocal anymore I see. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cabanabelle said:

Yes quite agree and that was why Carol started this thread.

He was getting quite abusive in the end and tiresome. All the good reviews must be killing him 😁.

There was another very positive article in the Sunday Telegraph from one of the many travel writers who were on the leg from New York.  Has there been many pop up in the US?

27 days and counting 😁

And you were soooo sure, eh? Not so vocal anymore I see. 

• Haha 1

As I have previously posted, we are on the April 5 through 25th sailing from Buenos Aires to Lisbon.  Is anyone else on this cruise?

We really appreciate the information that has been posted so far about the ship, services, etc., it just helps our planning and increases our anticipation!  I hope future cruisers keep up the good work.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, salbags said:

Lots of new postings on YouTube to whet your appetite.  And already we see new additions onboard since we disembarked in Halifax including binoculars in every room and a lot more!  We just booked back to backs in April 2021!  

• Like 1

Appears that Scenic isn't the only one who's had trouble meeting their timeline. Just read that Ritz Carlton's expedition yacht has been delayed as well, similarly due to shipyard issues. 

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/ritz-carlton-yacht-collection-cancels-cruises/

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Ritz-Carlton-Yacht-Collection-Delays-Launch-of-Debut-Ship

We just noticed that April 2021 from Athens to Venice just started showing up.  We were one of those who were scheduled foe before the ship was completed.   When we rescheduled this leg was supposed to have been sold out entirely to one entity.  Guess that fell through.  I think we will still keep the two legs that follow that one from Venice to Amsterdam 

I am so glad I found this thread!!  Hubby and I are booked on the 8 November Lima to Buenos Aires cruise that includes the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica.  What an invaluable resource for information here, especially from RockyandMoose (thank you so much for your detailed descriptions and suggestions!!!).  This is our first time ever on Scenic (we usually cruise Regent), so we're just not sure what to expect.  It sounds as if the Eclipse may be more laid back than we expected...we always dress smartly at dinner but were concerned that we would be under-dressed if we just wore slacks and a blouse or nice shirt.  Sounds like that is not a concern at all.  I suppose my biggest concern is the amount of closet space, given the length of the cruise (29 days), as well as the laundry facilities.  If anyone has any information regarding the size and configuration of a Grand Deluxe Suite closet, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I will try to post here while onboard as much as possible.  Not sure what the internet connections are going to be like once we head for Antarctica, but I will do what I can.

Tami

3 minutes ago, TahoeTraveler said:

I am so glad I found this thread!!  Hubby and I are booked on the 8 November Lima to Buenos Aires cruise that includes the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica.  What an invaluable resource for information here, especially from RockyandMoose (thank you so much for your detailed descriptions and suggestions!!!).  This is our first time ever on Scenic (we usually cruise Regent), so we're just not sure what to expect.  It sounds as if the Eclipse may be more laid back than we expected...we always dress smartly at dinner but were concerned that we would be under-dressed if we just wore slacks and a blouse or nice shirt.  Sounds like that is not a concern at all.  I suppose my biggest concern is the amount of closet space, given the length of the cruise (29 days), as well as the laundry facilities.  If anyone has any information regarding the size and configuration of a Grand Deluxe Suite closet, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I will try to post here while onboard as much as possible.  Not sure what the internet connections are going to be like once we head for Antarctica, but I will do what I can.

Tami

Hi Tami. We usually cruise on Regent too.  We are booked on the Eclipse next summer for the Arctic.  We went to Antarctica with Silversea and had no problem with Internet, so you should be okay. Sounds like you are going to have an incredible cruise....love the itinerary. 

17 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

Hi Tami. We usually cruise on Regent too.  We are booked on the Eclipse next summer for the Arctic.  We went to Antarctica with Silversea and had no problem with Internet, so you should be okay. Sounds like you are going to have an incredible cruise....love the itinerary. 

Hi Carol,

Yeah, the itinerary grabbed us right off the bat.  We were supposed to do basically the same itinerary last year, but out of Santiago instead, but of course, got caught up in the whole delay thing.  With the 25% off they gave us for the inconvenience, we were able to book this one, which is a week longer, in one category up, for basically the same price, so it was a great deal for us.  I hadn't hit the panic mode (I'm a super Type A) until I realized that I had no clue what to expect and the cruise was less than a month away. That's why I'm so happy to have found this thread...it has truly been a Godsend!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TahoeTraveler said:

If anyone has any information regarding the size and configuration of a Grand Deluxe Suite closet, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tami

Hi Tami. We'll be disembarking the Eclipse the same day you board in Lima.

In the video linked below, you'll see a tour of Grand Deluxe Verandah suite 504 at about the 12:25 mark. At about 13:50 you have a brief glimpse of the walk-in closet. 

22 minutes ago, towel-animal said:

Hi Tami. We'll be disembarking the Eclipse the same day you board in Lima.

In the video linked below, you'll see a tour of Grand Deluxe Verandah suite 504 at about the 12:25 mark. At about 13:50 you have a brief glimpse of the walk-in closet. 

Very cool...we will be in 502, so it was awesome seeing that!  The glimpse of the closet was, unfortunately, VERY brief!  But at least I could see the size of the cabin and so now I have a better idea of what to expect.  I do wish the shower had a stool or something to prop your legs on (for shaving purposes) and to put personal toiletries on (hubby and I can't stand liquid bath wash, so have to bring our own soap bars and it looks like there's nowhere to put the bar soap dish in the shower).  Looks like we're going to have to get creative!!  Thanks a bunch for the link to the video...it was very helpful!

Actually there is a place in the shower to put bars of soap etCetera. On the wall to your left as you enter the shower there is a rack that has In it dispenser bottles of Body wash, shampoo and conditioner.   All by ESPA which we are told is a great brand and which my wife, who is very sensitive to scents found perfect for her!   There is ample room to put a plastic soap dish or a bar of soap, a safety razor etc. and even a washcloth or two. It’s hard to see it in the photographs because the bathroom and shower future dark walls but it is definitely there.

23 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Hi Tami.  In one of my postings while we were on board the ship mid September I mentioned that there is a Launderette on the third floor of the ship relatively near the mud room and the doctors quarters. When we were on board there were three stacked washer and dryer units all by nIn one of my postings while we were on board the ship mid September I mentioned that there is a Launderette on the third floor of the ship relatively near the mud room and the doctors quarters. When we were on board there were three stacked washer and dryer units all by Miele.  It took us some effort to figure out how to operate them because they are fancy machines that actually weigh the load once put in to determine how much water to use but once we got the hang of it they operated very quickly and fairly efficiently. The ship also offers a very reasonably priced laundry service. It also will simply do pressing if that is all you wish to do for a nominal charge per item. The charges for washing and pressing or for pressing only our appreciably lower than we have found on other cruise lines that we have used in the past.

we are signed up to do the Northwest passage cruise which is more than 20 days and have decided that the best thing for us to do is to bring clothes that can be laundered and do not need dry cleaning or fancy care and treatment. One can dress nicely for dinner without wearing items which require a special treatment or laundering with unique settings and it makes the task of how much to bring, where to store it in your state room and how to keep it clean an easier one.  The dollar amount which the ship is asking for such things as laundering and pressing slacks, trousers, shirts and blouses is consistent with what we pay here in Los Angeles for those services at our neighborhood cleaners. If one doesn’t need the The dollar amount which the ship is asking for such things as laundering and pressing slacks, trousers, shirts and blouses is consistent with what we pay here in Los Angeles for those services at our neighborhood cleaners.

If one doesn’t need the items back in one day you can avoid the 50% surcharge and paid the lower rate. I believe in one of my earlier post things I may have provided a photograph of the laundry list and charges. If not let me know and I can try to post it again.  We hope that you will have as great a time on board as the two of us had. It was well worth the wait and the periodic disappointments of cancellation of previously  scheduleD cruises!