Best balcony location?

2011mom

Hi people, I'm about to book a short cruise on the Sunrise for this fall for my family of 4.  I usually book portholes or ocean view, but since this will be a birthday cruise I'm springing for a balcony!  My question is which one?  I'm thinking it's better to be midship, but does it matter if I'm on a higher or lower deck?  When I book ocean views I never care, I even prefer the lower decks because they're quiet and there's cabins above and below.  But for a balcony, is it nice to be close to the water or way up high?  I can even book a spa balcony, but those aren't covered and I think they might be a little too sunny.

Also, the cruise goes to Nassau and Half Moon Cay.  Should I pick port or starboard if I want to see the port when we're parked at the port?

thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, 2011mom said:

My question is which one?  I'm thinking it's better to be midship, but does it matter if I'm on a higher or lower deck?

If I had to choose between any balcony cabin on the ship, I would choose cabin 5344! Although not on an IDEAL deck, it has the best views of any other balcony on the ship (plus its a one of a kind)! If that option is unavailable, choose a Cloud 9 Spa Cabin on Deck 10 as those should be covered with the others on Deck 11. If that is also not available, I would choose a balcony on Deck 7 midship OR Deck 8 mid-forward (closer to the forward of the ship but still midship; between mid and forward elevators). Good luck choosing!

We are partial to the Panorama Deck.  It's one deck above the Lido Deck.  It's a partial deck so there is very little foot traffic.  Only one deck down to all of the activities around the pool and buffet.  Quick trip back to your cabin if you forget something or want to use your own bathroom.  We usually pick a cabin at the beginning of that deck so you are almost mid ship.  

As far as which side to pick, you can't determine ahead of time which way the ship will dock.  At Nassau we have backed in and headed straight in.  Just depends on what the Captain decides.  At Half Moon Cay,  the ship anchors out to sea so it could be either side.

• Like 2

Personally I think the best balconies on the ship are the aft balconies. They are larger than the side balconies, you have a panoramic view and there is nothing as soothing as the sound of the wake. The down side is that they can get warm as there is very little breeze. I look for a floor that has cabins below and above us.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses!  The Panorama deck balconies are sold out, at least the ones for 4 people, as are all the afts.  Just ordinary balconies are left.  I appreciate all the advice though!

We did spa balcony on floor 12 and at some point during the cruise they sped the ship up to avoid a storm and the rocking got really bad, and I ended up seasick.

We did a walk through of our room

Edited by JQTravels

19 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I would choose cabin 5344

I don't think the OP said what ship they were on.

We love the Spa Balconies. The convenient location is steps from the Spa and Serenity (Magic and Dream). You walk out of the glass elevators and smell the minty spa. You are close to the main lobby and best few to no kids on that deck, very quiet.

11 minutes ago, coevan said:

I don't think the OP said what ship they were on.

20 hours ago, 2011mom said:

I'm about to book a short cruise on the Sunrise for this fall for my family of 4.

Think again, coevan

So I haven't booked yet, and a Panorama deck spa balcony just opened up (spa but with a covered balcony because it's one floor down from the spa deck).  I'm thinking of grabbing it - but that one poster above wrote that since you're so high up it rocks more.  How great are the spa amenities, and has anyone else experienced move ship movement from being on a high deck?

Just my opinion here....

If you are not prone to seasickness, I would not base your cabin choice on avoiding seasickness.  Pick the cabin location that makes sense for what you do on the ship or the location that makes you most excited to be in. In all of my cruises (about 20)  I have only been seasick twice and in both instances it was because of unusually rough seas....not my cabin location.  And even when I felt seasick- taking some medication solved the problem. I always pack the meds just in case.  So I suggest you choose the cabin that you want the most.  Have fun! 

1 hour ago, 2011mom said:

So I haven't booked yet, and a Panorama deck spa balcony just opened up (spa but with a covered balcony because it's one floor down from the spa deck).  I'm thinking of grabbing it - but that one poster above wrote that since you're so high up it rocks more.  How great are the spa amenities, and has anyone else experienced move ship movement from being on a high deck?

We always book on  Panorama.  I can honestly say we don't notice any more movement up there than anywhere else on the ship.

If you are on a ship with a Cloud  9 Spa, the thermal suites and T-pool are fabulous.  You get upgraded towels and toiletries, robes and slippers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

We always book on  Panorama.  I can honestly say we don't notice any more movement up there than anywhere else on the ship.

If you are on a ship with a Cloud  9 Spa, the thermal suites and T-pool are fabulous.  You get upgraded towels and toiletries, robes and slippers.

I upgraded to Magic Cloud 9 Spa balcony but only deck 12 was available. Are the uncovered balconies unbearably hot?  We are on the balcony in the evening more often than during the day. I thought the uncovered balcony might give us a better view of the stars at night. Hoping I didn’t make a bad choice.  Any tips?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:17 AM, cloudninecat said:

Personally I think the best balconies on the ship are the aft balconies. They are larger than the side balconies, you have a panoramic view and there is nothing as soothing as the sound of the wake. The down side is that they can get warm as there is very little breeze. I look for a floor that has cabins below and above us.  

Can you feel the vibration on the aft balconies.  I really want to try one, but my husband can't stand the vibrations that we felt in the dinning room on our first cruise on the magic.

54 minutes ago, TG6 said:

Can you feel the vibration on the aft balconies.  I really want to try one, but my husband can't stand the vibrations that we felt in the dinning room on our first cruise on the magic.

I didn't feel a bit of vibration. I have heard one or two others say they had. That may be just a fluke or it may be related to location. So far I've always been on deck 7 when I have been in an aft balcony. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

I didn't feel a bit of vibration. I have heard one or two others say they had. That may be just a fluke or it may be related to location. So far I've always been on deck 7 when I have been in an aft balcony. 

Thanks! I would choose a balcony on one of the upper decks.  I'm going to try a short cruise with an overnight in Nassau just to test the waters first I think. 😉

Before you book a cabin, check the deck plan for the deck below the cabin.  One time we had a balcony on deck 6, right above the piano bar on deck 5.  It wasn't bad until the last night.  At about 1 am DH went down to the piano bar and gave everyone the stink eye because they were still going strong!  On the last night!  They seemed to break up after that.  Just make sure if there aren't cabins on the deck below that you find out what is below the cabin.

5 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

I upgraded to Magic Cloud 9 Spa balcony but only deck 12 was available. Are the uncovered balconies unbearably hot?  We are on the balcony in the evening more often than during the day. I thought the uncovered balcony might give us a better view of the stars at night. Hoping I didn’t make a bad choice.  Any tips?

It honestly depends on the position of the ship as to how much sun you'll get. They are good for star gazing.