Nieuw Amsterdam accident

Well, that makes me more thankful for all the completely uneventful docking experiences I have had. Can you imagine being at one of those window tables in the MDR enjoying breakfast when that happened? /gulp 😮

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

An "incident" is an unscheduled event that could lead to loss of, or disruption to, an organization's operations, services or functions and an "accident" is an unintentional act and unplanned event that could have been prevented under certain circumstances. But I do not have a clue why that is germane to the occurrence involving the two dam ships in Vancouver, BC this morning and No, the Germans didn't have anything to do with it

Copper, I would venture to say that when the two dam ships had this little unscheduled get together there were a few more dam's uttered on both ships.  That and maybe a couple of Oh Ships.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

We were onboard NA, on our aft balcony on deck 5 watching as the Oosterdam maneuvered into place. We kept telling each other “there is no way she isn’t going to hit us” - then she hit us. Was quite a jolt - thankfully it doesn’t seem anyone was injured. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Well, that makes me more thankful for all the completely uneventful docking experiences I have had. Can you imagine being at one of those window tables in the MDR enjoying breakfast when that happened? /gulp 😮

Since there were no injuries, I guess nobody was out on one of the damaged balconies. THAT would be very scary!

6 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Copper, I would venture to say that when the two dam ships had this little unscheduled get together there were a few more dam's uttered on both ships.  That and maybe a couple of Oh Ships.

Oh, I bet the language on the bridge was worse than dam or ship... 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NWvacationer said:

We were onboard NA, on our aft balcony on deck 5 watching as the Oosterdam maneuvered into place. We kept telling each other “there is no way she isn’t going to hit us” - then she hit us. Was quite a jolt - thankfully it doesn’t seem anyone was injured. 

Yikes!!!!! 😱

We are on the Oosterdam. We had to disembark for immigration purposes. I took these pictures while we were in line to get back onboard!IMG_7669.thumb.jpeg.842699126316af7f9743a073d15737f9.jpeg

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.365e8746fc9ed40a7a9aabe29810c89c.jpeg

IMG_7667.thumb.jpeg.6ee0601ab8be3754c76474edc00cbd39.jpeg

IMG_7666.thumb.jpeg.7780a67c0b89a4fb5d32e0e538c38d5a.jpeg

Ouch!!!

Edited by Shebba
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, regnig said:

Question please.  If the Oostie was in the process of docking at the time would it still have been under the control of the harbor pilot?  If so, who bears the liability? 

The captain is master of the vessel and has ultimate responsibility. Capt. VanDonselar specifically told us in a discussion that the harbor pilot is an adviser, snd that he, the captain, never relinquishes control of the ship.

I feel sorry for those new passengers who are affected. Let's just hope there are some open spaces where they can be accommodated if repairs can't be made.

We were having breakfast in the Lido Market when it happened, and didn't feel a thing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWvacationer said:

Wow!! Glad you are safe.

3 minutes ago, Shebba said:

We are on the Oosterdam. We had to disembark for immigration purposes. I took these pictures while we were in line to back on!IMG_7669.thumb.jpeg.842699126316af7f9743a073d15737f9.jpeg

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.365e8746fc9ed40a7a9aabe29810c89c.jpegIMG_7667.thumb.jpeg.6ee0601ab8be3754c76474edc00cbd39.jpegIMG_7666.thumb.jpeg.7780a67c0b89a4fb5d32e0e538c38d5a.jpeg

Ouch!!!

Poor NA. Odam needs to be told not to pick on her younger sister. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jhannah said:

I feel sorry for those new passengers who are affected. Let's just hope there are some open spaces where they can be accommodated if repairs can't be made.

We were having breakfast in the Lido Market when it happened, and didn't feel a thing!

I agree. Someone just lost their wrap-around aft deck!

We were still in bed, but awake. Our cabin is mid-ship, Oosterdam,  and we didn't feel anything either! We're were blown away when we saw the damage! Glad no one was hurt. 

11 minutes ago, jhannah said:

The captain is master of the vessel and has ultimate responsibility. Capt. VanDonselar specifically told us in a discussion that the harbor pilot is an adviser, and that he, the captain, never relinquishes control of the ship.

Agrreed, also glad there were no injuries!

We are on Oosterdam in 15 days, I wonder if we will have a new Captain ...

Edited by Ferd Berfle
fixed typo

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Affirmed, she would have been however, her captain maintains ultimate responsibility

So John:  It wouls seem that the Oosterdam hit the NA and the Captain has the ultimate responsibility.  My question is Will the Master of the Oosterdam lose his job over this incident?

about losing jobs...that is not what a modern Safety and Incident investigation is about.

starting to ask if “ the captain will be replaced/fired/ walk the plank...” is at this stage highly inappropriate.

There  no doubt will be an investigation following Just Culture principle, and lessons will be learned, extra training will be given if/where necessary and disciplinary action taken IF gross negligence is determined as a ( contributing) factor to the Incident.

once again, this is not an accident but an incident related to the safety of both vessels. They are not cars.

Just like you say ship and not boat, just like you say cabin and not room, please call this event by the proper name.

and this is all I will say about this as a Safety Auditor for both the Airline and Maritime world.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is some video:

Oh what a horrible sound. The occupants of the deck 4 aft wrap right next to the 4 cabins effected came out to look. Thank the graces no one was on those deck 4 cabins balconies while the railings were mangled.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Himself said:

So John:  It wouls seem that the Oosterdam hit the NA and the Captain has the ultimate responsibility.  My question is Will the Master of the Oosterdam lose his job over this incident?

Afternoon Father; respectfully, none of us here have the facts as to what occurred this morning (and, more importantly, why), so it's way too early to speculate on any potential consequences 

• Like 6

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Afternoon Father; respectfully, none of us here have the facts as to what occurred this morning (and, more importantly, why), so it's way too early to speculate on any potential consequences 

True. Thank you.

• Like 1

Local news is starting to cover the event. There is a short article from CTV here.

The body of the article is as follows: 

"An early-morning collision between two cruise ships in Vancouver's Canada Place left both vessels with minor damage Saturday.

In a statement, Holland America Line the MS Oosterdam and MS Nieuw Amsterdam collided at around 6:50 a.m. while docking stern-to-stern.

No injuries were reported. The Oosterdam received minimal damage, while six rooms with verandas on the Nieuw Amsterdam will require repairs.

According to the cruise line, guests staying in those rooms will be re-accommodated.

The cause of the collision remains unclear.

The Nieuw Amsterdam will set off on a seven-day Alaskan cruise on Saturday.

The Oosterdam is set to sail to Seattle overnight. From there, it will depart on a week-long Alaskan cruise on Sunday.

The collision has not affected either itinerary, Holland Cruise Lines said."

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is some video:

This video should help the investigation, also the stern cameras do they record? this will make for great story telling over a couple of cold ones. Glad it wasn't more serious.

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Poor NA. Odam needs to be told not to pick on her younger sister. 😛

Wouldn't that be her younger cousin (or something else)? Since the NA is not a Vista Class. 😉😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe92038 said:

Ah oh... she has been christened the Oopsterdam by the passengers in one of the news interviews. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Who's the captain? He's the bald headed one, in the middle, Peter Jansen is on the right and the pilot is on the left, It's not Draper..

4 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Wouldn't that be her younger cousin (or something else)? Since the NA is not a Vista Class. 😉😄

True... I think I was even told that by my momma since I was the baby sister. Had to pick on someone!!  "Don't pick on your younger cousin!!" 😛

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1