really bad entertainment

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Rhapsody is loosely equivalent to Sky.  On ships equivalent to Epic they have higher caliber entertainers, just like Epic vs. Sky. 

I'm not a fan of entertainment on older and small ships across many cruise lines. 

Oh, ok. I have no idea what class ship Rhapsody is, and thought the comment I replied to was about understudies on Royal cruises in general - not just on smaller ships. If there are understudies on Allure, Harmony, etc, then great! I've still learned something new today! As for me, I'm a fan of most entertainment on ships - including the older, smaller ones. Takes all kinds, I guess. 

Not all entertainment is great , rccl has by far best in general, we perfer voyager class and larger since they have more entertainment options, I sure even on posters cruise there was a piano bar and possibly a entertainer in pub , if you do not like one move to another . 

I have seen many different casts on Anthem on my 28 sailings. All of them have been excellent.  Some have even performed in the original West End production of WWRY.  The part of Spectra was made for Terry LaBelle.  Same goes for the cast in Mama Mia that was on Quantum when she was is the US - excellent cast.

This thread reminds me of when Simon Cowell was on American Idol and he would insult the bad singers by saying they gave a cruise ship performance.  :classic_biggrin: 

My husband and I have heard some pretty weak singing on ships.  We usually don't go to the production shows anymore.  The singers playing around the rest of the ship are much, much better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

This thread reminds me of when Simon Cowell was on American Idol and he would insult the bad singers by saying they gave a cruise ship performance.  :classic_biggrin: 

My husband and I have heard some pretty weak singing on ships.  We usually don't go to the production shows anymore.  The singers playing around the rest of the ship are much, much better.

Pretty good. Or would say people enjoyed more watching what Simon said then the bad performers. On here it's more about the discussion then the Performers or topic

I give credit to ALL the performers.  They work so very hard and as all of us. We have good and bad days. 

We have seen awesome shows and average shows. never bad. Some we did not car for because of the type of show it was like the lone guitar player doing acid rock with the volume ear splitting. Hated that, others went nuts over it. Some ships have very professional performers, others mix those that  have not performed for many years but were good enough to be picked. Day after day they perform and sing and dance there hearts out the best they possibly can. Guest performers can be excellent and also very bad. That of course can easily be our likes and dislikes also.

On many ships now we miss the live orchestra. remember, they are dancing and singing sometimes on a ship that is moving back and forth a lot. Please give them a lot of credit and think if it was you.

• Like 1

Casts on Royal do contain understudies, and they are paid a weekly stipend for that duty on top of their regular roles.  

Perhaps the original poster would be better severed if he wrote his thoughts to Royal Caribbean Productions, rather than post it on a message board, where it could be interpreted as sour grapes.  Just saying. 

42 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure I'd call them understudies,  but the CATS cast on Oasis can and does cover for each other if some are out. But the cast is massive.

Cats was really a excellent production with a great cast.

The OP brought up a valid point. The entertainment on Cruise ships can be pretty bad sometimes. It has been getting better, as couple of posters have pointed out, and the bigger ships are generally better than the smaller ones.

If you have loved the signing in each and every show you have seen on every cruise, good for you. I haven't .

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 5/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, CruisinCrow said:

Hmm, on many ships those are the same singers.

We sail on Grandeur, and the same singers in the shows and around other venues, like the 70s night.

Only not so great singer I have seen was the Schooner Bar piano person on our Aug 2018 cruise.  It was painful to even walk THROUGH the Schooner Bar when he was performing.

Singer on our recent April 2019 cruise was great.

Edited by SRF

I think entertainment is very important on any cruise line. I have cruised  on CCL many times although and I think the entertainment is improving the night club atmosphere is not. There are no venues for dancing which I like. I will be on the Harmony of the seas in October 19  hopefully that will change.

Gary   

We're on vacation - so probably we are less judgemental than if we had paid to see a show. 

We have a look at who the headliner is, or what the production show is. Sometimes we give it a miss, but more often than not  we'll go.

Some of the production shows are great, some are just ok, but we never doubt that the performers are working very hard.