Just back from Perfect Day At Coco Cay

8 minutes ago, tbretthauer1 said:

The level two advisories on the other places you noted are for potential terrorist activity. The warning for the Bahamas is for violent crime. Which do you think is more likely. But tell me more about fear mongering.  

Then don't get off the ship. Quite frankly I've never seen anything in Nassau that I haven't seen in any American city as a tourist. Avoid walking alone at night, be diligent of your surroundings, don't book tours through shady operators, etc. It really isn't that hard. The threat of robbery and violent crime is present literally anywhere you travel. Crime in the Bahamas was down 14 year over year in 2017 and 7 percent YOY in 2018. The main area the State Department mentioned wasn't even a tourist area, and the other part of the message, was again, in regards to shady tour operators.

Nassau is whatever you make of it. I've had a great time on snorkel excursions or going to private islands for the day. The "party" atmosphere certainly doesn't randomly make its way to people who don't seek it out.

Edited by mattb31
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, ChrisTheDBA said:

I think the thrill island cabanas are 6 people. 

So my understanding is thrill island (waterpark) is 6 people. we are a party of 5 going thanksgiving week, and i rented the cabana at thrill island for a decent price. i just hope by then, they have flawless service and quick lines - cause 4 of us will be hitting the waterpark, while DW does not.

44 minutes ago, tbretthauer1 said:

I have been to the Bahamas multiple times. Maybe you should check before making statements you have no clue about. I actually rented a house in Nassau for a week once. During that week there were two shootings at local bars. Several people that live there warned us about fake taxis that rob cruise passengers. I truly hate when people make statements in ignorance. 

Are you sure you weren’t in NY in Nassau County. These things are reported several times a day and yet I’m still alive at 58.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 5/8/2019 at 9:43 AM, JRudy33 said:

Could you please tell me if there is any type of shuttle that takes you down the pier.  Both my husband and I can't walk very long, especially in the heat.  That would help us tremendously because I realize we will have to be doing some walking on the island. 

Yes there were some little outdoor shuttle buses coming and going right in front of the ship. We took one both ways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

Yes there were some little outdoor shuttle buses coming and going right in front of the ship. We took one both ways.

Were there places to sit in the shade while waiting for the shuttle buses?  

On 5/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, Scotty G said:

There were no provisions for assistance last week. I used my rollater and had to leave it at the start of the pier since it was all sand after the bridge. There are large tired wheelchairs available for use at that point but no attendants to push them.

Im kinda sad to read this.  I was hoping with all the new improvements it would be more wheelchair accessible without having use those balloon tire beach wheelchairs.  I like to have my independence and not rely on people having to push me around. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Are you sure you weren’t in NY in Nassau County. These things are reported several times a day and yet I’m still alive at 58.

Been to New York hundreds of times. The main tourist areas are extremely safe. Not so in Nassau. I watched crime on the street you get off the ship on. But excellent use of survivors bias fallacy. I presume you live in NY. That means you know safe and not so safe areas. Tourists in Nassau won’t. And the warning was overall for violent crime. I have never seen an armed guard in a Pizza Hut. I did in Nassau. 

2 hours ago, mattb31 said:

Then don't get off the ship. Quite frankly I've never seen anything in Nassau that I haven't seen in any American city as a tourist. Avoid walking alone at night, be diligent of your surroundings, don't book tours through shady operators, etc. It really isn't that hard. The threat of robbery and violent crime is present literally anywhere you travel. Crime in the Bahamas was down 14 year over year in 2017 and 7 percent YOY in 2018. The main area the State Department mentioned wasn't even a tourist area, and the other part of the message, was again, in regards to shady tour operators.

Nassau is whatever you make of it. I've had a great time on snorkel excursions or going to private islands for the day. The "party" atmosphere certainly doesn't randomly make its way to people who don't seek it out.

Dude!!! Are you kidding?  I have spent significant time there both from a ship and a residence. I know what it’s like. I didn’t say I wouldn’t go. I said that claiming it has natural peaceful beauty is ridiculous. I also said I am going to Coco Cay and excited about. What is wrong with you. 

36 minutes ago, Deseo1578 said:

Found this awesome video that shows most of the different cabanas  

So the Chill Island cabanas aren't the same cabanas that were already there?  The ones in this video are different, without the little deck for the 2 lounge chairs.  They look more like the bungalows.

Edited by panzafit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tbretthauer1 said:

Been to New York hundreds of times. The main tourist areas are extremely safe. Not so in Nassau. I watched crime on the street you get off the ship on. But excellent use of survivors bias fallacy. I presume you live in NY. That means you know safe and not so safe areas. Tourists in Nassau won’t. And the warning was overall for violent crime. I have never seen an armed guard in a Pizza Hut. I did in Nassau. 

So I'm going to New York next week prior to my cruise out of New Jersey....should I not go because I don't know the safe and not safe areas??? EVERYWHERE has crime, I live just outside of Chicago. I would feel much safer in Nassau then certain parts of my home city! Even when vacationing in Aruba there were armed guards and it's considered a low crime area....different places do things differently. You can't live your life in fear of what may or may not happen-that's a guaranteed way to miss out on some great things. Just be aware of your surroundings as much as possible. Nassau is hardly my favorite port but you better believe I'm getting off the ship that day-plan on checking out the craft brew place near the pier.

Edited by KG1924
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The Thrill Water Park admission includes (from the Royal website):

Take a 135-foot plunge down the tallest waterslide in North America, Daredevil’s Peak℠— just one of 7 slides on Daredevil’s Tower. Buddy-up for the multi-rider raft slides and side-by-side mat racers at Family Tower. Make a splash in the Caribbean’s largest wave pool ever. Bounce, climb and swing your way through floating lily pads, rope swings and a rock climbing wall at the kid-friendly Adventure Pool.

This always amuses me :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Our plan is to be first out the door to the pier and first to snag a free lounger right next to the swim up bar in the lagoon and stay there all day!  Hope the have some periods of more chill music.  I can't afford the Club out at South Beach which I expect to be more chill.  My bag is smooth jazz!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KG1924 said:

So I'm going to New York next week prior to my cruise out of New Jersey....should I not go because I don't know the safe and not safe areas??? EVERYWHERE has crime, I live just outside of Chicago. I would feel much safer in Nassau then certain parts of my home city! Even when vacationing in Aruba there were armed guards and it's considered a low crime area....different places do things differently. You can't live your life in fear of what may or may not happen-that's a guaranteed way to miss out on some great things. Just be aware of your surroundings as much as possible. Nassau is hardly my favorite port but you better believe I'm getting off the ship that day-plan on checking out the craft brew place near the pier.

Omg is this national stupid people respond to me day?  I never said don’t go!  I said that it isn’t low key and beautiful.  That is it!  And FYI, New York is a thousand times safer than Nassau.  I never said I wouldn’t go.  Never said I was afraid to go.  I freaking went there on a cruise AFTER I stayed on the island for a week.  Never said I didn’t enjoy myself there. The horrific logical fallacies being used here are unbelievable.  Despite your straw man argument you have failed to address what I actually said.  Try reading it and then come back to me.

Edited by tbretthauer1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, itsanita said:

I just spoke to the rep at RC and she said that we could still get the cabana, and the children could use it but they would not get any of the other benefits... free water, access to the complimentary food, drinks and beverages from the nearby Snack Shack.  So we would have to buy them the all day pass.   We all have the beverage package, so that's not an issue anyway.   

It would cost us an additional $140.00 to have the cabana.  

I am confused on a point. I thought the Snack Shack was available for everyone? This would mean it's reserved exclusively for cabana guests?

15 hours ago, panzafit said:

So the Chill Island cabanas aren't the same cabanas that were already there?  The ones in this video are different, without the little deck for the 2 lounge chairs.  They look more like the bungalows.

I agree they look different than the cabanas over by the jetskis but maybe in a promo video they wanted to display the cabanas they are building for newer areas.  

8 hours ago, JoeFan said:

I am confused on a point. I thought the Snack Shack was available for everyone? This would mean it's reserved exclusively for cabana guests?

I'd like to know as well.

14 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I agree they look different than the cabanas over by the jetskis but maybe in a promo video they wanted to display the cabanas they are building for newer areas.  

I'd like to know as well.

This is what I found.  I am guessing that by buying a 'pass' or cabana (that includes 6 passes} you get all the below:

Thrill Waterpark ($ charge)
Includes 13 waterslides, Wave Pool, Adventure Pool, complimentary dining at Snack Shack, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tbretthauer1 said:

We have also been to Nassau numerous times and even ridden the Jitney buses along with the natives, never had any problems.  I agree with the majority here, crime occurs everywhere, you just gotta be vigilant.  I was more scared my trip to NYC than Nassau.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, itsanita said:

This is what I found.  I am guessing that by buying a 'pass' or cabana (that includes 6 passes} you get all the below:

Thrill Waterpark ($ charge)
Includes 13 waterslides, Wave Pool, Adventure Pool, complimentary dining at Snack Shack, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels

Snack Shack is complimentary for ALL guests, not just cabana.

They might as well list the tram & fresh water showers there too.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-much-does-perfect-day-at-cococay-cost

image.thumb.png.6e6888e9704d36d9b2ec285843fc2321.png

Edited by JoeFan

19 hours ago, tbretthauer1 said:

I have been to the Bahamas multiple times. Maybe you should check before making statements you have no clue about. I actually rented a house in Nassau for a week once. During that week there were two shootings at local bars. Several people that live there warned us about fake taxis that rob cruise passengers. I truly hate when people make statements in ignorance. 

That's the problem, we CAN'T check anything you say.  How do we know you rented a house?  And as for "natural Beauty" it's all in the eye of the beholder dude.  Take a chill pill.

18 minutes ago, sportmorgan said:

Anyone have a picture of the menu at the Snack Shack (that are complimentary for the cabanas)?

The Snack Shack is complementary to anyone in the Thrill Water Park.