NCL Carnival

jcool

9 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Only if "you" allow it!

You can be nickel and dimed on all cruise lines!

The " nickel and dimed"  is an easy card to play, if you choose.

This is true but it can also be overdone if the marketing is too aggressive or if one line charges for something another line doesn't (such as the popcorn that Royal charges for that Carnival doesn't). Personally if I didn't budget for it then I'm not likely to pay for it, but I don't like high pressure sales.

I love NCL, probably my favorite line.  I'm not sure why people say they nickel  and dime you.  I haven't had to pay for anything on NCL that I didn't have to pay on any other line I've went on.  The entertainment was great,  Food the same as any other line.  Service like all ships I have been on was great.  You will love it, enjoy!

The thing about NCL is that anything not included is expensive.  For comparison, on Carnival you can purchase a 12 pack of water (16.9 fluid ounces each) for only $4.50.  Water is much more expensive on NCL.  Same with the internet plans.  Carnival's internet plans are from $6.80 to $14.45 per day.  NCL's are $12.50 to $29.50 per day or $105.00 for 250 minutes.  I found everything extra on NCL was more expensive.  That's just good to know going into a cruise that if you want something not included in your cruise package, it will cost you more on some lines.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

The thing about NCL is that anything not included is expensive.  For comparison, on Carnival you can purchase a 12 pack of water (16.9 fluid ounces each) for only $4.50.  Water is much more expensive on NCL. 

Norwegian is selling you 1 liter bottles, not the half liters like Carnival.  Agreed that the price is higher, but then again the bottles are bigger.

3 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Norwegian is selling you 1 liter bottles, not the half liters like Carnival.  Agreed that the price is higher, but then again the bottles are bigger.

I believe the price per ounce is cheaper on Carnival. So yes, they are bigger bottles (1 liter), but they are more than twice as expensive.  A six pack of one liter bottles is $14.95 on NCL. A 12 pack of 16.9 fluid ounces on Carnival is $4.50. Anyway, Norwegian's prices are higher for everything.  Their adult drink package is much higher.  I do like the perks with Norwegian, it's just that when I purchased things that weren't included in my package, I spent more money than on other lines.

Edited by TNcruising02

Whether you feel "nickel and dimed" is very subjective; personally I focus on overall best value.  We've sailed Carnival and NCL about equally (see signature block) and find things we like with both lines.  To arrive at "best value" I factor in ALL of the cost for equivalent cruises, i.e., cruise fare, included extras (drinks, specialty dining, Wi-Fi, etc.), cabin type, required gratuities, on-board credits, port costs (including parking), insurance, etc. - literally everything.  It is easy then to calculate a daily cost of cruising.  Not only does that provide a comparable metric between cruises/lines, but it better educates you on what extras you may have to pay on-board (the nickles & dimes).  Then there are the subjective factors, i.e., mood of the ship where Carnival is more party-like, size of the ship (we've only cruised Fantasy-class on Carnival), port selections and timing of the cruise, etc.  There are truly so many variables, it's nearly impossible to assess one over another.  Over time you will find your cruise niche, but the common thread is that any day cruising is better (period).