Scooters in Hallway

I remember on previous cruises that I would see scooters left in the hallway outside of peoples cabins. Do people still do this?

My mom fell ill last month and is at a rehab center. They have have not been able to get out of bed yet, the goal is to get her out of bed this weekend. Told my mom she has to be able to stand up and be able to walk 10 to 20 steps to go on cruise. We sail in 3 weeks on Symphony of the seas so we will be cutting it close.......

• Like 1

Not supposed leave then in Hall, seen some at end of hall. But also when some left in hall have seen people in walkers not be able get by the scooter. Maybe get her a transfer chair/walker?

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 minutes ago, tradercj said:

I remember on previous cruises that I would see scooters left in the hallway outside of peoples cabins. Do people still do this?

My mom fell ill last month and is at a rehab center. They have have not been able to get out of bed yet, the goal is to get her out of bed this weekend. Told my mom she has to be able to stand up and be able to walk 10 to 20 steps to go on cruise. We sail in 3 weeks on Symphony of the seas so we will be cutting it close.......

There were lots of scooters on Harmony last week and we never saw any left in our hallway overnight.  There were definitely some on our corridor because we saw them using them, but were never left in hallway.  We did see a double wide jogging stroller left in the hallway most nights and during the day.  Sometimes it was folded and other times it was open, blocking almost the whole hallway.

Scooters, walkers, wheelchairs, strollers etc are NEVER to be left in the cabin hallways as they are a FIRE hazard. The staff should be notified (if they don't see them first) and they will take this up with the owner of the mobility device.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tradercj said:

What I do is once I get to my cabin I call housekeeping they come and get it to charge overnight. The next morning I call and they bring it when I’m ready to leave. But you are right she will need to walk a little bit if she’s just going to her cabin for a little bit of time. Can u try and get accessible cabin?  Try calling and explain sometimes they give out those cabins and people don’t really need them

• Like 1

There were 2 adjacent cabins on my cruise on the Harmony last week that often had 3-4 scooters parked in the hall periodically during the day and always overnight. Although I doubt it's allowed per the ships's rules, this part of the hall was wide enough where it didn't create an issue for other scooters or strollers to pass.

45 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Scooters, walkers, wheelchairs, strollers etc are NEVER to be left in the cabin hallways as they are a FIRE hazard. The staff should be notified (if they don't see them first) and they will take this up with the owner of the mobility device.

My parents had a scooter on Liberty this past March.  Always parked inside the room.  About mid-week, their cabin attendant suggested they park outside their door in the hallway.  She said be sure to take the key out during the daytime or kids might take it for a joyride.  At night she would happily take it somewhere to store overnight and return in the morning.  They still parked inside unless it was only a few minutes.  We had an umbrella stroller and our cabin attendant(same one) said the same.  But I didn't feel comfortable with that and it folds up anyway so didn't see the point.  We did notice scooters and strollers parked in hallways throughout the ship.  Didn't seem like they took up any more space than a room attendant's cart.  

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Agree. Been there done that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shawn742 said:

There were 2 adjacent cabins on my cruise on the Harmony last week that often had 3-4 scooters parked in the hall periodically during the day and always overnight. Although I doubt it's allowed per the ships's rules, this part of the hall was wide enough where it didn't create an issue for other scooters or strollers to pass.

I will have a scooter on Harmony in November.  If a cabin on my deck had a scooter parked in the hallway how would I drive by?

It has been posted on CC that it is a fire violation as well as being rude to others.  On Enchantment I parked scooter in cabin day and night as the rules require.

To OP, hope your mother recovers enough to enjoy a cruise.  You can rent a transporter wheelchair which folds up and is easy to push around. 

• Like 2

On my February Anthem cruise, I was surrounded with full size scooters always parked in the passageway when not in use. SIX were parked within 40 feet overnight. It looked like the start of the Mobility 500. No enforcement at all.

46 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I will have a scooter on Harmony in November.  If a cabin on my deck had a scooter parked in the hallway how would I drive by?

It has been posted on CC that it is a fire violation as well as being rude to others.  On Enchantment I parked scooter in cabin day and night as the rules require.

To OP, hope your mother recovers enough to enjoy a cruise.  You can rent a transporter wheelchair which folds up and is easy to push around. 

Please see my last statement. I’m not condoning it, but there was plenty of room to pass in this particular section of the hallway.

Daughter-in-law was with her mom and she would call guest services at night, they would send  to get scooter, charge it and in the morning would deliver back to cabin when she notified them. She liked it because she did not have to worry about keeping it charged in the cabin.

For those that have stated that a ship employee can take the scooter somewhere at night and return it in the morning, I'm curious...what happens if there's a ship emergency during the night?  I presume someone would know to bring the scooter to you?

41 minutes ago, John Reid said:

On my February Anthem cruise, I was surrounded with full size scooters always parked in the passageway when not in use. SIX were parked within 40 feet overnight. It looked like the start of the Mobility 500. No enforcement at all.

See something....Say something.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, shawn742 said:

Please see my last statement. I’m not condoning it, but there was plenty of room to pass in this particular section of the hallway.

Perhaps there was...but that's no excuse.

• Like 2

Bottom line is that scooters don't belong parked in the hallway. If they are, another scooter or wheelchair cannot pass by. Just tell the room attendant during the day, or guest services at night. They will take care of it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tradercj said:

Hope your mum does get to go on the cruise with you and she enjoys it.

To answer your question it will depend on the type of cruise you are on.  You are not suppose to leave the scooter in the hallway but on some cruises they are. Some passengers will report any scooters they see in the hallway and others will not. 

I know this answer is probably not what you are after but please remember leaving a scooter in the hallway may cause problems for other scooter uses. I know this from personal experience as I have struggled pushing my son's wheelchair pass scooters parked in hallways.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

Bottom line is that scooters don't belong parked in the hallway. If they are, another scooter or wheelchair cannot pass by. Just tell the room attendant during the day, or guest services at night. They will take care of it.

Did have passenger next to me have our Attendant park scooter away from our rooms every nite

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

I get what you're saying and agree because it's common sense but there were 2 OP that said the cabin attendant told them to leave them in the hallway; so now there's conflicting information out there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tradercj said:

If you think you might need one I would go ahead and book it, I. was told they need to be reserved 3 weeks ahead.

Thank you everyone for the responses and well wishes. We have 3 outside balcony staterooms, my Mom will not agree to looking for a different stateroom, she wants us all together. I do have 2 fold-able wheel chairs that I use for my Mom and Dad for cruises, I have done 4 cruises (Royal and Celebrity) in the past with the wheel chairs and not once did the cabin steward offer to house them elsewhere for us. I was just thinking, how can I have a scooter in the room at night and still have them get around, it is great that all I have to do is ask for it to be taken at night. 

Last year my mother in law had a scooter. The problem is that she was unable to get the scooter in the room if she was alone.  No way to hold the door open and drive it in.  In the evenings she could get it in the room because her room mate would be there. But periodically during the day if she was just heading to lunch and back, she wouldn't be able to.  So there may be an issue with that you may come across.  

10 hours ago, tradercj said:

Thank you everyone for the responses and well wishes. We have 3 outside balcony staterooms, my Mom will not agree to looking for a different stateroom, she wants us all together. I do have 2 fold-able wheel chairs that I use for my Mom and Dad for cruises, I have done 4 cruises (Royal and Celebrity) in the past with the wheel chairs and not once did the cabin steward offer to house them elsewhere for us. I was just thinking, how can I have a scooter in the room at night and still have them get around, it is great that all I have to do is ask for it to be taken at night. 

I hope she is able to make the cruise.  Not sure if you typically order a shower stool for their cabin, but I would call the special needs department and order one for the cabin if you haven't already.  We have done that in the past after my DH had surgery, much safer in a slippery environment.  🙂 

• Thanks 1