Menu changes

7 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Would anyone want to venture a guess as to when menu changes might start fleet wide? We have started to get a bit bored with the choices offered and wondered if RCCL was due for a few new offerings.

Nothing announced by the cruise line.

39 minutes ago, little britain said:

Certainly slightly different menus on Explorer now.  

4465F4F8-8DE6-418B-8DF8-DB6EEEBB5AB7.jpeg

5F782E69-AF47-4424-A058-F40B1E409FB0.jpeg

E724DC0B-A14D-4316-871C-D77AB0F95552.jpeg

Really like the look of that Menu, I have been looking at the current Adventure ones as we sail on her in October and the dont look as nice as that.

1 hour ago, mcoler181 said:

Really like the look of that Menu, I have been looking at the current Adventure ones as we sail on her in October and the dont look as nice as that.

We were on Adventure this past February, and I don't recall seeing menus that differed significantly.  These look very similar.

1 hour ago, mcoler181 said:

Also sailing on Adventure this year and I think these ones look better too. The menus I have seen for Adventure are practically a carbon copy of the ones we had on Navigator this past November and they were often less than inspiring, to the extent that on a couple of nights we actually found ourselves struggling to find something we fancied. That had never happened to us before they introduced the new, reduced menus.

20181126_010438.jpg

20181127_000313.jpg

20181128_000900.jpg

20181129_000513.jpg

20181130_000805.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

We were on Adventure this past February, and I don't recall seeing menus that differed significantly.  These look very similar.

Oh well thats promising. Looking at the current ones starters are practically identical every day, nothing like the fried camembert, duck terrine, scallops and chorizo etc, on the mains, Beef Wellington, steak and ale pie, curries.

Maybe because this is a European sailing?

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Also sailing on Adventure this year and I think these ones look better too. The menus I have seen for Adventure are practically a carbon copy of the ones we had on Navigator this past November and they were often less than inspiring, to the extent that on a couple of nights we actually found ourselves struggling to find something we fancied. That had never happened to us before they introduced the new, reduced menus.

20181126_010438.jpg

20181127_000313.jpg

20181128_000900.jpg

20181129_000513.jpg

20181130_000805.jpg

Yes these are like the ones I have been looking at. Starters are all very Salady and soupy,

13 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Oh well thats promising. Looking at the current ones starters are practically identical every day, nothing like the fried camembert, duck terrine, scallops and chorizo etc, on the mains, Beef Wellington, steak and ale pie, curries.

Maybe because this is a European sailing?

I believe (and if I am mistaken, somebody please feel free to correct me) that the pies are curries are pretty much exclusive to cruises sailing from the UK. I wish they were more widespread.

59 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I believe (and if I am mistaken, somebody please feel free to correct me) that the pies are curries are pretty much exclusive to cruises sailing from the UK. I wish they were more widespread.

Correct, they are. Though 20+ yrs ago even US menue's had more those choices. Remember my then 11yr trying Curry and Caviar...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

That’s right. it’s only because Explorer is now sailing out of the UK that they have A daily Pie option and a daily Curry option. 😁

Edited by rattla
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rattla said:

That’s right. it’s only because Explorer is now sailing out of the UK that they have A daily Pie option and a daily Curry option. 😁

Explorer is not in England yet... she is still en route from Australia with 1500+ Australians on board!  

In fact we are sailing from Gibraltar 🇬🇮 as I type.... 

Apparently the Exec Head Chef from a Miami boarded yesterday  to look at the menu choices. Not sure what that will mean. Friends who have been on for the earlier legs say the food was even better  and they got 🦞 too on 2nd formal night!!

Edited by little britain

31 minutes ago, little britain said:

Explorer is not in England yet... she is still en route from Australia with 1500+ Australians on board!  

In fact we are sailing from Gibraltar 🇬🇮 as I type.... 

Gibraltar as good as England 😁

I honestly have noticed a decline in food quality between 2014 and 2019, in just that short timeframe. I think it's because they know that if the food is only just as good as necessary, and no better, people will be more likely to spend money on specialty restaurants.

Also, I tend to believe that on ships with less specialty restaurants, the food is better in the MDR. The best food I've had in the MDR was on Empress (which only has Chops) and Grandeur (which has Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi). MDR food on Indepedence, Navigator and Symphony was not as good.

However, the specialty restaurants on Symphony were ALL absolutely amazing. So next time I go on an Oasis class, I'm just going to book a dining package.

2 minutes ago, jsausley said:

I honestly have noticed a decline in food quality between 2014 and 2019, in just that short timeframe.

I have to agree. And not just quality; variety too. As I mentioned earlier, on our 9-night Navigator cruise last November we were very hard pushed on several nights to find something we liked in the MDR because the choices were so limited.

As it happened, that was also the cruise where we tried the speciality dining for the very first time.

The combination of both these factors led us to book a dining package for our next cruise, on Adventure.

Also, having found the MDR experience to be declining in appeal, partly due to the menu issue and partly due to the fact that there are always so many empty seats, I rather suspect our Adventure cruise will see another first for us: dinner in the WJ, which DH would actually prefer.

Sure RCCl is saving here and there but overall the Main dining room menus over the past 10 years have the same choices with minor changes, not always to the good. The quality of these items vary from cruise to cruise or better said from Chef to Chef. To be honest, when you have a US Executive Chef on board the quality of the food on board is always worse compared to a European for instance.  Over the past years the food in the Main dining Room ranged randomly from ok to very good talking aout specific menu items. When it comes to the meats, especially beef you feel that quality has gone down over the years. You also get the hint on the Menu every night, do you want a good steak, order the Chops Filet Mignion $😉$

Talking about a current experience, the whole main dining room experience including food on the current Ovation cruise to Vancouver has been the best since a long while, both from service and food. Not to forget though, since the ship is about to enter a new market and has a lot of attention including various senior managers of the various divisions on board doing quality controls this of course also has a impact.

Edited by LXA350

We were on a 16 day Panama Canal Cruise on Jewel last month and they had different menus every night.  There were a couple of entrees that were repeated but overall, they kept it fresh.  We found the food to be very good; not superior but far from bad.   There was only one night when I didn’t find anything I liked so I ordered the chops filet and the Head Waiter waived the fee. On a side note, our table mates mentioned how much they missed the cold soups and our waiter arranged for them to be available every night.  They will go out of the way to ensure you’re happy.