GO PRO or a Point and Shoot camera ?

I was looking into a Go Pro for underwater video in the Caribbean while snorkeling.. and general videos & pictures taken from our balcony heading into and out of ports ..   Then we are going on a Danube river cruise during Oktoberfest .. and I need a camera that will take good long distance photos and clean videos .. But I am not sure if the Go Pro will handle pictures of mountain top castles ?  I am not that photo smart. so need something easy to carry and shoot fast ( Like a gunslinger ) !!   Any ideas I can look into ?   

We went on a Danube cruise last summer.  I took both a Go Pro and a DLSR.  They both have different purposes.  The Go Pro is a essentially a wide angle camera.  It is not what you want to use for pictures of something in the distance.  Here is some of my Go Pro video from that cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Can I ask you if the still pictures at the beginning of your video,  were also taken with the Go Pro?   And which model did you use ? 

Those stills were taken with my Canon 60D

Keep in mind there is a lot of difference between the sensor in an entry level go-pro and the top of the line model.  Likewise you have tons of point and shoots to choose from with all different price points and capabilities. 

I think most people would argue there is room for both (personally I used a GoPro clone, my phone, and a full frame DSLR on my last cruise).  Of course, how much you want to invest (and carry with you, for that matter) is a personal decision.  If you decide to explore a point and shoot (or even a bridge camera or entry level DSLR, for that matter) there are lots of knowledgeable folks on here who can look at your goals and help you maximize bang for your buck.

If you are looking for a waterproof camera that takes very good stills, what about an Olympus GT-4 or GT-5?  These little cameras will fit in your pocket and are a good option for a point and shoot when you don't want to lug around your DSLR.   Videos are good also.

By the way have you ever been to Oktoberfest in Munich before?  ....be prepared, it's not what you think 🙂  😄

I have a Go Pro Hero Black.  Can't seem to get an answer on approximately how many short videos I can take on a 256 SD card. Does anyone have an idea?

I'm worried about downloading these to the Go Pro Plus app if we don't have good wifi.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I have a Go Pro Hero Black.  Can't seem to get an answer on approximately how many short videos I can take on a 256 SD card. Does anyone have an idea?

I'm worried about downloading these to the Go Pro Plus app if we don't have good wifi.

Thanks.

"Short" is how long? What frame rate? What resolution? Which compression codec? Which GoPro Hero Black? 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6 or 7? 

This is why people have trouble answering . There are just too many variables. The easiest way is to load the empty card with the camera set to how you intend to record and look at how much recording time is available. If it says 1HR:50 or something like that, figure how many minutes that is and divide by the expected number of minutes in a "short" clip. If you expect 2 minutes per clip, this example would give you 55 clips on the card. Keep in mind that compression varies due to video content, so 55-ish clips would be a better estimate. Divide the size of the card by the number of expected clips to get an idea of how big the files might be. Again, compression varies a bit.

Dave

Edited by pierces

On 5/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, tbmrt said:

Thanks.

Hero4/5 Black: https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-black-recording-time-in-each-video-setting

Hero6 & 7 Black: https://www.kainphoto.com/memory-card-size-recording-time-gopro/

If you need any more help on the GoPro, don't hesitate to hit me up. I'm also a senior member on r/GoPro on Reddit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, thunter1224 said:

WOW Great pictures..   I am still trying to decide on a go pro or not.. I need to see how stills look with the Go Pro. before I decide on what to get 🙂  Thanks 

Shot from a flight from Seattle to Anchorage May 16th with GP7Black.