So called “Service Dogs” on board ships

kura

56 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Straight from the horse's mouth (except that horses are no longer considered eligible to be service animals, but I digress):

Service Animals - ada.gov

Not so!  The minature horse is still a relevant service animal, covered under the ADA, with many exceptions.  Mostly covered by an exceptional handler and the circumstances that the horse will be used in.  As the Service Dog has many options to be accepted, let's say on an airplane......it would be much more difficult to transport a minature horse without inconveniencing many.  For instance,  the dog can be trained to lay on the floor for many hours in a "pill-bug" position, where the dog tucks in his tail and legs and literally rolls into looking like a pill bug wound in a small circle.....seeing a 100 pound dog do this in a small space is absolutely amazing.  My dog stayed in this position for 3 hours, only to stand once and stretch, then return to the pill bug position for 2 more hours.

A minature horse must have an area where he can stand and be tethered to stay.  He may lay down but would take up much more space in a laying position and physically can not stay in a laying position for long periods.  Not a great traveler on an airplane, but it can be done.  Horses don't breathe well when in a laying position. 

I prefer the dog as a working partner, although I absolutely love the minature horse and admire their stamina and ability to live 20 plus years!

13 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Not so!  The minature horse is still a relevant service animal, covered under the ADA, with many exceptions.  Mostly covered by an exceptional handler and the circumstances that the horse will be used in.  As the Service Dog has many options to be accepted, let's say on an airplane......it would be much more difficult to transport a minature horse without inconveniencing many.  For instance,  the dog can be trained to lay on the floor for many hours in a "pill-bug" position, where the dog tucks in his tail and legs and literally rolls into looking like a pill bug wound in a small circle.....seeing a 100 pound dog do this in a small space is absolutely amazing.  My dog stayed in this position for 3 hours, only to stand once and stretch, then return to the pill bug position for 2 more hours.

A minature horse must have an area where he can stand and be tethered to stay.  He may lay down but would take up much more space in a laying position and physically can not stay in a laying position for long periods.  Not a great traveler on an airplane, but it can be done.  Horses don't breathe well when in a laying position. 

I prefer the dog as a working partner, although I absolutely love the minature horse and admire their stamina and ability to live 20 plus years!

I can see a benefit in a mini horse for someone of my size. The thing I am a little surprised about is that monkeys aren’t included, their ability to retrieve things would be en end of assistance, there are some things I can’t imagine even Maxy being able to pick up for me.

I've traveled to Europe with my Service Dogs since 1984, by airplane.  We started cruising with a Service Dog in 2005.  I am on my second dog and in excess of 25 cruises.  My first dog Brenda [the dog in my Avatar], had finished her 15th cruise before passing away at the age of 14.  She was a pure Black English Lab and was a true Alpha dog.  She was sure of herself, easy to train and loved to be spoken to and given commands in sentences...long sentences, where she would discern what I wanted and needed immediately after I spoke.  She was very patient with me and allowed me many errors.  She didn't like other dogs but fell in love with Horton almost immediately, he was such a goofball and entertained all of us from day one.  She never wanted to be around any other dogs, except him. 

My second dog, Horton, is not so forgiving.  He's almost twice as big as Brenda was, he's a Black Lab/Golden Ret. mix.  If I don't complete my command and move on he will go to work without me.  He has little patience for my insecurities and doubts.  He reads my mind and gets things done long before I'm ready to get started.  For instances, he'll pick up my slippers and socks and bring them to my chair, long before I'm ready to put them on; he'll go to the dog dishes, wait beside the kibble bag before I've finished my shower and am ready to feed him.  He'll then go to the potty door and wait for me, as if to say, "what's taking you so long, let's go!"  He'll pace inside the bathroom while I'm brushing my teeth and try to push me to get me to work faster!

I've been very lucky to have been the recipient of these two amazing heroes from Canine Companions for Independence.  Horton is now 10 1/2, I pray that he has a long life like Brenda.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I can see a benefit in a mini horse for someone of my size. The thing I am a little surprised about is that monkeys aren’t included, their ability to retrieve things would be en end of assistance, there are some things I can’t imagine even Maxy being able to pick up for me.

Monkeys, unfortunately are capable of not only catching our diseases but they've been known to cross contaminate us, thereby making us ill.  They're not a safe working partner.  They have huge personality changes and have been known to "attack" others, including the handler, at any given time........not good when you're out in the public and around small children or seniors.

They work well in an environment where they are supervised on a daily basis.  And, to keep them safe, strangers need to wear hospital masks at all times, so as not to give them our germs.

15 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Monkeys, unfortunately are capable of not only catching our diseases but they've been known to cross contaminate us, thereby making us ill.  They're not a safe working partner.  They have huge personality changes and have been known to "attack" others, including the handler, at any given time........not good when you're out in the public and around small children or seniors.

They work well in an environment where they are supervised on a daily basis.  And, to keep them safe, strangers need to wear hospital masks at all times, so as not to give them our germs.

Thanks Roz, monkeys are not common here so I wasn’t aware of those issues.

6 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Not so! 

After some more reading, allow me to clarify

While the law recognizes that miniature horses can be valuable as a service animal, there's a distinction in the law between dogs and horses in whether the animal must be accommodated (in the case of a dog) or reasonable modifications must be made to accommodate the animal (in the case of the horse).

The law shortcuts the distinction by stating (yes, it says this), ""Service animal" means any dog..." (28 CFR § 35.104) and then later stating how horses are to be reasonably treated the same as a service animal in places of public accommodation (28 CFR § 35.136).

9 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We have been on twenty cruises but only seen dogs on our last one. Are other people seeing this as a new thing? The husband of one of the dog owners advised us to never do it. Too much hassle. Alaska/Canada cruise in September 

The man who advised against it must not have been taking a service dog. When you NEED your dog (as opposed to wanting it), you'll go through the hassles. 

Here's a hassle nobody has mentioned. Food. Cruise lines don't provide dog food (I know that Cunard doesn't). Several posters here have large dogs. They eat a lot, and that has to be brought on. Does the dog sleep in its own dog bed? Another thing to bring along. So the service dog will have luggage, too. It isn't easy. Worth it if you need the dog, but there's a lot more to it than just strolling or rolling onto the ship holding a leash.

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The man who advised against it must not have been taking a service dog. When you NEED your dog (as opposed to wanting it), you'll go through the hassles. 

Here's a hassle nobody has mentioned. Food. Cruise lines don't provide dog food (I know that Cunard doesn't). Several posters here have large dogs. They eat a lot, and that has to be brought on. Does the dog sleep in its own dog bed? Another thing to bring along. So the service dog will have luggage, too. It isn't easy. Worth it if you need the dog, but there's a lot more to it than just strolling or rolling onto the ship holding a leash.

Yup, food is huge - pun intended - and just the tip of the iceberg.

We carried 12 days worth of kibble with us on our recent Alaska cruise.  For our 27 night Panama Canal Cruise from Southampton, I’ve looked into having Amazon deliver a shipment to a Fort Lauderdale mail drop company that specializes in cruise ship deliveries.

We also carry

1) roll up dog bed

2) canned pumpkin

3) canned prescription dodgy tummy food for just-in-case

4) dog toothbrush and toothpaste

5) artificial grass for potty area

6) medication/flea treatment/heart worm

7) travel water and food bowls

8) extra service dog vest/backpack 

9) Nylabones

10), 11) and 12) things I can’t think of off hand!

It takes a great deal of preparation and energy to travel with a service dog.  When you add disability specific equipment it’s quite the undertaking!  We travel with two extra suitcases, one for the dog stuff, one for the medical equipment.  And while it isn’t counted as part of our luggage allowance, someone (DH!) has to move it from Point A to Point B.

Edited by Miki_moto
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

Yup, food is huge - pun intended - and just the tip of the iceberg.

We carried 12 days worth of kibble with us on our recent Alaska cruise.  For our 27 night Panama Canal Cruise from Southampton, I’ve looked into having Amazon deliver a shipment to a Fort Lauderdale mail drop company that specializes in cruise ship deliveries.

We also carry

1) roll up dog bed

2) canned pumpkin

3) canned prescription dodgy tummy food for just-in-case

4) dog toothbrush and toothpaste

5) artificial grass for potty area

6) medication/flea treatment/heart worm

7) travel water and food bowls

8) extra service dog vest/backpack 

9) Nylabones

10), 11) and 12) things I can’t think of off hand!

It takes a great deal of preparation and energy to travel with a service dog.  When you add disability specific equipment it’s quite the undertaking!  We travel with two extra suitcases, one for the dog stuff, one for the medical equipment.  And while it isn’t counted as part of our luggage allowance, someone (DH!) has to move it from Point A to Point B.

I travel with a lot of luggage, but I think your dog has me beat! 

If the Amazon thing doesn't work out, there's a large supermarket (Publix) a short taxi/Uber away from the port. You could send DH with a shopping list. (There's a good wine store nearby, too)

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If the Amazon thing doesn't work out, there's a large supermarket (Publix) a short taxi/Uber away from the port. You could send DH with a shopping list. (There's a good wine store nearby, too)

Great advice!  I’ll make a note of it.  🙂

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Not a problem for the abusers with so-called emotional support animals (I always thought all pets were emotional support).  Those folks simply take their dogs into the Lido and feed them regular food at the table!  

Hank

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not a problem for the abusers with so-called emotional support animals (I always thought all pets were emotional support).  Those folks simply take their dogs into the Lido and feed them regular food at the table!  

Hank

I have seen this first hand.  People feeding their "comfort" dogs from the table food.   Unless a dog is accustomed to eating people food on a regular basis, a few servings of people food will generate a very loose, and sometimes uncontrollable BM.   That would be a disaster on any kind of carpet.   Sorry to be so graphic, but that is what happens when you abruptly change a dog's diet to rich, salty, people food.   The dog's digestive system just can't handle the change.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Actually my 115 pound Bernese only eats 3.5 cups of food per day (high quality dog food 😉 so they need less).

But, seriously.  You are SO right.  When we take our dogs to their “home away from home” (kennel) when we travel, the SUV looks like we have packed for moving.

2 huge bags of dog food, Treats, two beds, toys, bones, Nexguard dose (for ticks and Lyme disease), pumpkin, probiotic (in case it’s needed), towels for the bed and they like to lay on them, etc.  The back of the SUV is full of two big dogs and the front seat and seat behind is packed with beds, food, etc.  I squeeze in there someplace 😉 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, terrydtx said:

I agree about comfort dogs which I think are just a bunch of BS so people can have their dogs with them anywhere they go. Recently one of these so called "Comfort" dogs pooped in my grocery store right in front of the meat counter. Many customers including myself complained to the manager but we were told they couldn't deny people from having them in the store. If a comfort dog is a real comfort dog and properly trained it would not have pooped in the store. I also called my city health department about non service dogs in a grocery store and was told nothing they could do about them. I am too a skeptic.

Skeptic here too.  I have a feeling the controversy will worsen until such time that the cruise lines begin to see lawsuits arise from those with dog allergies or a ruined vacation in general.  If I witnessed some of what people have brought up in this thread such as dogs eating in the Lido, climbing onto passengers and crew, you can bet I'd be photographing it and presenting it to HAL for compensation post-cruise.  A short little obedience demo during port check-in would be all they need to do to see if the dog is truly trained.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for true service animals, but comfort pets or people that feel the need to take their dogs everywhere gross me out and I'm getting tired of traversing a pack of animals every time I come out of Starbucks or Whole Foods, two places that have lost a lot of my business now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midwest 852 said:

Its high in fiber will help a dog that has runny stool.

It’s also good for constipation!

If your dog has diarrhea, the soluble fiber in canned pumpkin will help absorb the excess water, resulting in firmer stool. For a pet that is constipated, the high water and fiber content in the pumpkin will help add bulk and soften the stool, acting as a natural laxative and making the stool easier to pass. - 1800petmeds.com

Feeding your dog a little bit of pumpkin with his food is a great way to prevent and cure constipationPumpkin is high in water content and a great source of fiber. You can either puree fresh pumpkinor use canned pureed pumpkin.  - dogtime.com

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

It’s also good for constipation!

If your dog has diarrhea, the soluble fiber in canned pumpkin will help absorb the excess water, resulting in firmer stool. For a pet that is constipated, the high water and fiber content in the pumpkin will help add bulk and soften the stool, acting as a natural laxative and making the stool easier to pass. - 1800petmeds.com

Feeding your dog a little bit of pumpkin with his food is a great way to prevent and cure constipationPumpkin is high in water content and a great source of fiber. You can either puree fresh pumpkinor use canned pureed pumpkin.  - dogtime.com

Does this work for people too, or just dogs?

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, rpclmc said:

From experience, I have a fully trained service dog.  It costs more than $25 for them to get on a cruise.  All the vaccinations, some ports require extra testing (getting into Hawaii, Grand Turk, a couple others may cost upwards of $500), all the supplies needed it can get VERY expensive. 

I would think the dogs would be charged a full fare like passengers.  But I guess they could get in under the kids cruise free promotions.  But then they're not kids . . .