Crash in Alaska

Greenpea2

Quite a tragedy indeed. No word if the ship is leaving port on time. Both planes had passengers from the Royal Princess one on a Princess tour and one independent.

Thoughts and prayers to all onboard the Royal Princess. 

7 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

Quite a tragedy indeed. No word if the ship is leaving port on time. Both planes had passengers from the Royal Princess one on a Princess tour and one independent.

Thoughts and prayers to all onboard the Royal Princess. 

According to the Princess boards the ship has left port. They have left some staff behind to assist the passengers that are still in hospital. They are also offering counselling to the passengers on board. Understanderbly the mood is quiet somber. They will arrive in Juneau around 10am. From what I have read they haven't released details of the second airline involved. It was the independent tour on which the passengers and pilot perished. May they rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

The bodies of the two missing passengers have been found which brings the death toll to six.  This is so sad and I pray those recovering in the hospital have a full recovery.

Edited by Oakman58

I am glad they have recovered the two victims.

Several of the most serious have been airlifted to Harborview Hospital in Seattle.

What disturbs me the most, is that this was this company's THIRD float plane accident in 4 years and the second with loss of life.  In 2015 8 cruise ship passengers lost their lives.  Last June again 9 cruise ship passengers were in the accident but all including the pilot survived. 

33 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I am glad they have recovered the two victims.

Several of the most serious have been airlifted to Harborview Hospital in Seattle.

What disturbs me the most, is that this was this company's THIRD float plane accident in 4 years and the second with loss of life.  In 2015 8 cruise ship passengers lost their lives.  Last June again 9 cruise ship passengers were in the accident but all including the pilot survived. 

Sure, that company. But there are loads of float plane accidents, regardless of the company. It's ridiculously dangerous. Never in a billion years would I do that in that area due to the sheer congestion. Here is an article that was written in 2015, ironically, about the pilot who was killed in this crash. It talks about the dangers and the frequency of accidents.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-c1-alaska-float-pilot-20150102-story.html

Float planes are dangerous for several reason. They often tip over when making an emergency landing in water. Also, most of them are missing key safety features, particularly  when it comes to collision warning devices.