Another dress code question

marcc

5 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Totally agree. We're so close (99% convinced) to getting some friends to join us on the same P&O sailing as us, but the 1 issue preventing them from committing is the dress code. However, as I have reviewed the current P&O dress code for Britannia, it no longer appears as restrictive in terms of venues after 6pm where formal attire is mandatory. 

RCI did try introducing a 'formal' only restaurant on one of their Oasis class ships as part of a 'rotational' dining concept. However, the rotational dining concept didn't work and was abandoned and so was the 'formal only' venue unfortunately. 

Have things changed recently from the list below regarding venues that require formal attire after 6pm on Britannia.

Britannia
The Crow’s Nest, The Epicurean, Meridian, Peninsular, Oriental, Sindhu and The Glass House restaurants.

Edited by P-L-B

On 5/19/2019 at 4:31 PM, Denarius said:

When I first sailed with P&O in the 1990s pool games were a regular feature on sea days, culminating in a crew versus passengers event which included, yes, a greasy pole across the pool. Sometime between then and  now these were discontinued, along with other "favourites" like the ice carving demonstration and champagne pyramid. Elf and safety?

I was on Ventura last year and we had an ice carving demonstration! I must say I’ve never had one on a cruise before and it was only a 7 day cruise as well.

Back to the dress code, I saw one man in a blue checked suit, he looked very dapper but I think you’d have to be very confident to wear it (which he was!)

9 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Have things changed recently from the list below regarding venues that require formal attire after 6pm on Britannia.

Britannia
The Crow’s Nest, The Epicurean, Meridian, Peninsular, Oriental, Sindhu and The Glass House restaurants.

No they are still the same.

17 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

Perhaps I should have said, minimum attire then. Still true though. 

Personally, I’m completely against the compulsory nature of the formal dress code on P&O - being banished to the buffet. Surely one side of the MDR could be casual on a formal night. I don’t care what anyone else wears, so I think those who like formal dress should be encouraged to wear it every night. You’re on your holiday, you should be able to wear what you’re comfortable in whether it’s jeans and t-shirt or full formal attire. 

Before you book you know formal nights are a feature of a P&O cruise. If it's not for you then go elsewhere where your chosen attire is acceptable. Frankly the majority of P&O passengers enjoy the formality of dressing up, you sir are with the small minority. 

2 hours ago, Balaena said:

Before you book you know formal nights are a feature of a P&O cruise. If it's not for you then go elsewhere where your chosen attire is acceptable. Frankly the majority of P&O passengers enjoy the formality of dressing up, you sir are with the small minority. 

No. I didn’t have any idea that there was a dress code at all. I just assumed it was a floating hotel. 

I do now. 

Edited by Highpeaklad

3 hours ago, Balaena said:

Frankly, that's just your viewpoint, and my suspicion is that things have moved on, leaving you as one of the minority. We none of us know, though, do we, and this forum is hardly a representative sample of views.

P&O will have a better idea, and as soon as it becomes clear that the rules of formal dining are costing customers, rather than gaining them, it will go, and I suspect that will be fairly soon. The signs are already there in that those rules are no longer being enforced, much to the chagrin of the old school.

Those who don't like dressing up would be far less likely to complain (and go elsewhere) if they weren't banished to the buffet if they want to eat without charge. I really can't see why there should be any problem at all with an area of serviced dining set aside for smart casuals, as against formals - how would that hurt anybody?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Frankly, that's just your viewpoint, and my suspicion is that things have moved on, leaving you as one of the minority. We none of us know, though, do we, and this forum is hardly a representative sample of views.

P&O will have a better idea, and as soon as it becomes clear that the rules of formal dining are costing customers, rather than gaining them, it will go, and I suspect that will be fairly soon. The signs are already there in that those rules are no longer being enforced, much to the chagrin of the old school.

Those who don't like dressing up would be far less likely to complain (and go elsewhere) if they weren't banished to the buffet if they want to eat without charge. I really can't see why there should be any problem at all with an area of serviced dining set aside for smart casuals, as against formals - how would that hurt anybody?

Interesting! Having completed over 2000 nights on a P&O cruise I think I'm in a fairly strong position to rebuke your claim that formal attire is costing the company 'customers'. Indeed far from it.  In my experience over the past 10 years or so and, perhaps more importantly, conversations with shoreside directors, it is clear that P&O do not want to go down-market with just casual attire as clearly this would disenfranchise them from the majority of their guests who enjoy dressing up during a cruise. Perhaps an easy example of this is on say 2 night party cruises, yes it's a 'party' cruise, yet one night is formal.  Why you might be saying! the reason is most people actually take delight in dressing up and really enjoy the ambiance of such a gathering. Casual has a place of course when formal is the de rigueur but, they don't want folk being in the same arena as those who are dressed down.

As for complaining I am surprised to read your comment as in my experience it matters not whether you are a 'casual' cruiser or a 'formal' cruiser, it there is legitimacy in your complaint then that's that. It's not about the dress code.

Bal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balaena said:

Interesting! Having completed over 2000 nights on a P&O cruise I think I'm in a fairly strong position to rebuke your claim that formal attire is costing the company 'customers'. Indeed far from it.  In my experience over the past 10 years or so and, perhaps more importantly, conversations with shoreside directors, it is clear that P&O do not want to go down-market with just casual attire as clearly this would disenfranchise them from the majority of their guests who enjoy dressing up during a cruise. Perhaps an easy example of this is on say 2 night party cruises, yes it's a 'party' cruise, yet one night is formal.  Why you might be saying! the reason is most people actually take delight in dressing up and really enjoy the ambiance of such a gathering. Casual has a place of course when formal is the de rigueur but, they don't want folk being in the same arena as those who are dressed down.

As for complaining I am surprised to read your comment as in my experience it matters not whether you are a 'casual' cruiser or a 'formal' cruiser, it there is legitimacy in your complaint then that's that. It's not about the dress code.

Bal

As I said, neither of us has any solid information on this. Just gut feelings, and we must agree to differ.

The fact is though that those who prefer not to dress up are relegated to the buffet unless they’re prepared to pay extra, and that’s unacceptable when there are perfectly good alternatives.

You might say if you don’t like it don’t choose P&O but we’re back again to the question of P&O not being able to afford the luxury of turning away paying customers.

As for going downmarket, it’s already done that, and formal dining’s just an attempt to paper over the obvious cracks.

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

As I said, neither of us has any solid information on this. Just gut feelings, and we must agree to differ.

The fact is though that those who prefer not to dress up are relegated to the buffet unless they’re prepared to pay extra, and that’s unacceptable when there are perfectly good alternatives.

You might say if you don’t like it don’t choose P&O but we’re back again to the question of P&O not being able to afford the luxury of turning away paying customers.

As for going downmarket, it’s already done that, and formal dining’s just an attempt to paper over the obvious cracks.

P&O on the basis of your argument should already be losing customers but they are not because there still appears to be enough people wanting to cruise P&O to fill the ships. So are you talking about new phenomena, one which is about to strike or one which has been there for a number of years. It is quite clear from the way prices are rising from the opening price that they are filling the ships well in line with expectations. 

If you know when this is to start start I am sure the company would welcome your input. 

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You do have a valid point that passengers who don't want to do formal would probably prefer to have part of the MDR given over to casual wear on formal nights.  However equally P&O management must be aware of this but as yet are showing no desire to go down this route, so they must believe that such a move would cost them customers rather than gain some.  But do feel free to continue trying to change their minds if you definitely want to cruise with them.

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If I was you I would see a doctor about your guts We are back to the same arguments,those who don’t like formal dining so wish for it to stop and those who like formal dining,my view is either chose another cruise line or accept p&o does formal dining.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You do have a valid point that passengers who don't want to do formal would probably prefer to have part of the MDR given over to casual wear on formal nights.  However equally P&O management must be aware of this but as yet are showing no desire to go down this route, so they must believe that such a move would cost them customers rather than gain some.  But do feel free to continue trying to change their minds if you definitely want to cruise with them.

You are quite correct John the number of customers they stand to lose far outweighs they might gain going down this road.

When this is mentioned on other forum those who are happy the way things are overwhelm those who want to change. 

In this respect P&O  are quite clear what their customers want.

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We are back to the same arguments,those who don’t like formal dining so wish for it to stop......

Not at all.  Happy for it to continue. Provided that those choosing not to wear a DJ or a dark suit are given somewhere they can eat free of charge besides the buffet. Not too much to ask, surely?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not at all.  Happy for it to continue. Provided that those choosing not to wear a DJ or a dark suit are given somewhere they can eat free of charge besides the buffet. Not too much to ask, surely?

So you wish p&o to rearrange the ships layout for those for whatever reason do not wish to follow the formal dining arrangements.

Can we clarify one point. Formal nights are two on a 7 day cruise and  four on a 14. You should be aware of this when you book, if not, you have not researched your prospective holiday enough.  So for just a small portion of your cruise, you are asked to respect the designated dress code for these nights. Having been on many cruises with P & O I am always elated when we go down to dinner and see the vast number of passengers, young and old dressed in all their beautiful and elegant formal attire. What gives me the most pleasure is seeing the young people, men and women, who look so gorgeous and obviously are having a great time. How can that not be something to respect? Long may it last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Can we clarify one point. Formal nights are two on a 7 day cruise and  four on a 14. You should be aware of this when you book, if not, you have not researched your prospective holiday enough.  So for just a small portion of your cruise, you are asked to respect the designated dress code for these nights. Having been on many cruises with P & O I am always elated when we go down to dinner and see the vast number of passengers, young and old dressed in all their beautiful and elegant formal attire. What gives me the most pleasure is seeing the young people, men and women, who look so gorgeous and obviously are having a great time. How can that not be something to respect? Long may it last.

The number of formal nights are not unique to P&O, they are similar on other lines. It may last less time time than you think unfortunately. 

Edited by peteukmcr

I have severe issues with my legs and feet, never had an issue on any cruise when I explain it to the door greeter, and to be frank one glance at my feet and they can see I have issues.

Edited by GUT2407

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nicely put.  And the point you make about Cunard's a good one.  Like you, I'm sure P&O's formal days are seriously numbered because of the number of potential customers it puts off. As you say, if you want formal you can always go Cunard, and Carnival doesn't really need two companies doing that, although to be fair Cunard hasn't gone down the Butlins route.

Not a view that's going to go down well with some of the die-hards here, though even that's changing! 

"Like you, I'm sure P&O's formal days are seriously numbered because of the number of potential customers it puts off"

Perhaps you could let us all know how you know this "fact", and let us know the actual number of potential customers . 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

"Like you, I'm sure P&O's formal days are seriously numbered because of the number of potential customers it puts off"

Perhaps you could let us all know how you know this "fact", and let us know the actual number of potential customers . 

I think you're the only one using the word 'fact'. Nobody knows how many people are put off P&O by its old-fashioned image and the formal dining - this is all opinions. P&O will have some idea - we can only guess.

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you're the only one using the word 'fact'. Nobody knows how many people are put off P&O by its old-fashioned image and the formal dining - this is all opinions. P&O will have some idea - we can only guess.

Well, if it is not a fact, then the number of potential customers could range from 2 to 20,000. It's pointless trying to make a point, when you have absolutely no actual evidence as proof.

Interesting that a number of years ago P&O created a separate brand called Ocean Village with two ships to cater for 'casual dressers' with no formal evenings.  After around two years the the concept collapsed and the ships were diverted elsewhere in fleet. I don't think they will want to get their finger burned again.

Formal is here to stay, if you don't want to join the vast majority, stop moaning and find another party.

Bal

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, if it is not a fact, then the number of potential customers could range from 2 to 20,000. It's pointless trying to make a point, when you have absolutely no actual evidence as proof.

Maybe because this is a discussion forum?  😉