Where to buy cruise evening dress near Southampton?

Balticdream

I was wondering if any of you could share where you find your evening dresses.  I am booked on Cunard (some time away so no rush but I'd like to know where to start looking), and although I have a number of dresses suitable for ordinary evenings, I only have one I think would do for the gala evenings.  So I need to shop.

I'm looking within about an hour's drive of Southampton, and I guess looking at not more than £200-250 and less would be helpful.  Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

52 minutes ago, Balticdream said:

I was wondering if any of you could share where you find your evening dresses.  I am booked on Cunard (some time away so no rush but I'd like to know where to start looking), and although I have a number of dresses suitable for ordinary evenings, I only have one I think would do for the gala evenings.  So I need to shop.

I'm looking within about an hour's drive of Southampton, and I guess looking at not more than £200-250 and less would be helpful.  Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

I know nothing about Southampton, but I’ve found some lovely dresses on Amazon. Around my city, appropriate formal dresses are also known as “mother of the bride” dresses, so a bridal shop (on clearance!) might be an option.  

• Like 1

Thanks.

I was having a look in John Lewis today (in Reading) but they didn't seem to have many in store (they do have some nice ones online so I was a bit disappointed).  Do you know if some branches (Southampton, Portsmouth?) have better selections than others?  I was wondering if their personal shopper service would be helpful, but I would want to be sure the branch had a reasonable choice. 

Recs of specific stores would be exceptionally helpful 😉 anywhere on the south coast from Bournemouth to Portsmouth, or north to Salisbury and Winchester.  I don't want to have to go into London.

I know you don't want to buy online, but if you buy from a local brand (John Lewis) online you should be able to return it to the store if you don't like it.  I usually like to try on in person as well, but sometimes it does pay to shop online.  I also shop Ebay for brands that I know fit me well, some excellent bargains to be had.

Well I live in S.W.Wales so our local independents would be of little use to you. Autumn is the best time to buy from JL as the Christmas party dresses are in.

i would think a shopping trip to Salisbury would bear fruit.

Edited by cruiseluvva

M&S get their evening & party wear ranges in store in the autumn, in readiness for the Christmas season. Not sure when your cruise is, but if you can wait until then, you might find something you like. (I am familiar with M&S Reading and they seem to have a reasonable selection once the lines come in.)

It is also worth mentioning that if you order online from John Lewis, you can collect from & return to any Waitrose store. I do this a lot - Waitrose is 10 minutes from my house but M&S is 30. And there is free parking at Waitrose. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balticdream said:

Cruisers have mentioned Dress2party in Southampton.

But they contacted the store prior to visit to discuss/exchange etc, then visited for fittings etc.  They can do alterations 

You can order online from John Lewis and get the dresses delivered to the shop. You can then try things on there and if they are not suitable they will refund, no need for postal returns. Their personal shoppers are really helpful too. I didn't book a session with one but happened to catch one on the shop floor. She was incredibly helpful and recommended the procedure above (I was looking for sizes they don't stock in the shops but have online). She was also very helpful with advise and suggestions of other shops to try as well.

Is there an OxFam shop or other type of charity shop where you buy second hand?? You might be able to find something nice and save a lot of money, even if you need alterations it will come out far less than buying something new.  I know several of our thrift shops have a wedding section, where you can get bridesmaid and mother of the bride dresses for almost nothing (usually around $30).

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 2

In West Quay in Southampton there is John Lewis, Coast, Phase Eight & Monsoon. There is a Debenhams a few minutes walk away that sells Quiz. Labels in Bishops Waltham is a dress agency that often has nice evening wear. Dress to Go in Botley( appointment only). Tiffany's in Stubbington.

Charity shops in Winchester might be worth a look. Facebook market place. Also I found googling Prom Dress brought more results and shops will be getting some in around now

• Like 1

As mentioned by the previous poster. West Quay shopping centre which is walkable from the dock area is huge and full of high street names and big brands. 

Debenhams, M&S etc. 

We had to run in there last October as my friend realised she’d forgotten her swimmers before boarding! 

• Like 2

Although Westquay ( new spelling, after enlargement 🤔) has lots of stores, Debenhams is not one of them. Debenhams is in the Queens Building, Queensway. Another shopping area of Southampton. 🙂

https://mystore.debenhams.com/store/221-southampton

Don’t want anyone getting lost.😳

Edited by turnip eater

I‘s usually not our kind of shop, but wife has been lucky twice to score gorgeous designer cocktail dresses at TJ Maxx in Southampton. 

And those are worn on formal nights on QM2 and she‘s getting compliments for them.

It may be worth a shot, though hit and miss.

Edited by Yoshikitty

17 hours ago, cymru cruiser said:

As mentioned by the previous poster. West Quay shopping centre which is walkable from the dock area is huge and full of high street names and big brands. 

Debenhams, M&S etc. 

We had to run in there last October as my friend realised she’d forgotten her swimmers before boarding! 

17 hours ago, turnip eater said:

Although Westquay ( new spelling, after enlargement 🤔) has lots of stores, Debenhams is not one of them. Debenhams is in the Queens Building, Queensway. Another shopping area of Southampton. 🙂

https://mystore.debenhams.com/store/221-southampton

Don’t want anyone getting lost.😳

Correct Turnip Eater:

On my next visit to Southampton I must check out Debenhams gala swimwear range. 😀

Edited by Solent Richard

On 5/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, Balticdream said:

Hi there Baltic Dream.

My wife has a firm favourite in Tiffanys and regularly uses their branch at Stubbington.

I guess it depends on which side of Southampton your hour's drive is.

Overlooked the obvious

For those seeking a  "second hand bargain" should consider the QM Charity Fete held on the final leg of the WC.  The fete has a section called "Second Hand Rose" to which my DW always donates a number of formal dresses, shoes, bags etc..

For interest, the last WC fete generated about $11,000.00 (from memory), which is amazing when you consider formal dresses at the fete were sold at about $20/30.00 each.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi there Baltic Dream.

My wife has a firm favourite in Tiffanys and regularly uses their branch at Stubbington.

I guess it depends on which side of Southampton your hour's drive is.

DW always finds at least one dress at the House of Sparkle just down the road in Bournemouth.  Alterations can be done, even bespoke details.

15 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

DW always finds at least one dress at the House of Sparkle just down the road in Bournemouth.  Alterations can be done, even bespoke details.

House of Sparkle has either moved or closed: I'm not sure which. Anyway, unless there is more than one of them, it is not where it was.