Packing suggestions/ Hacks

Shoppie124

4 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

I've read where athletic sandal and flip flops are not allowed in the dining rooms/ restaurants.  Then I've ready where you need sneakers for the ropes course.  Seems like my no frills idea of one pair of shoes won't work since I live in flip flops during the summer.

No one has ever looked at my feet, or at least hasn't kicked me out. I only eat in specialties (or O'Sheehan's), no MDRs. When my feet swell the only thing I can wear is my pool slides. Basic black, rubber bottom slides. Never an issue. I wear one pair of comfortable black shoes and pack pool slides and one pair of sandals if the weather is warm. I packed for 18 days (12 days cruising plus three land stops of 2 days each) in a 24" bag and a small tote.

Over packing is part of the thrill of getting ready for a cruise...IMO.  Judging from what most people have said, I way over pack...but strangely, I end up wearing or using just about everything.  I think I'd rather over pack than do laundry while on vacation.  My typical packing list looks something like this:

• travel outfit, I wear the same one coming and going so I've got that going for me.
  • bathing suit x2 (or 3)
  • work out attire x3
  • cover up
  • shore excursion/shopping outfit x2
  • casual/sun dress x3
  • casual, flowing pants and matching tops x 3
  • back up outfit x2
  • sandals x2
  • flip flops x2
  • athletic shoes
  • underwear x7
  • socks x3
  • pajamas
  • toiletries
  • cosmetics
  • hair spray
  • headbands
  • sunglasses
  • medicine of all kinds...truth be told, its a full on first aid kit that could stand up to any professional medical black bag.
  • hand bag
  • back pack
  • straws
  • hat
  • phone and affiliated chargers
  • ear plugs
  • pillow
  • passport, money, travel docs
  • costume jewelry
  • curling iron
  • hair dryer (I don't like the ones provided in the cabin)
  • Tide to Go
  • Lysol spray (mini size for an initial sanitation of the cabin upon arrival)
  • reading glasses
  • Sunscreen
  • bug repellent

I haven't packed SPANX before but I like the idea...thanks JamieLogical.

Guess that's about it.  I can't tell you the size of my suitcase, but it's big.  My next cruise is in 34 days.  Maybe I'll take 1 less back up outfit.😉

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

Since I discovered packing cubes, cannot do with out them!   When you learn how to roll/fold and zip your clothes into them you have less wrinkles.   Easy to unpack too.   We keep most items in the cube on a shelf until needed.    Very helpful if there aren't many drawers in your cabin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I love to overpack.  I love to have options.  Nothing worse than on the last day being left with one option to wear.

I hear ya, if I feel like wearing something white and all that's left is black.  If I want to wear jeans and all that's left are dress pants. If the one pair of swim trunks is still a little clammy from the last trip to the pool there's another that's nice and dry.   I over pack.  Guilty.  I don't consider it a badge of honor that I could make one pair of pants last a whole week.  I own too many nice clothes and take great care of them doing laundry.   

My secret is we bring a hockey bag, we call it the "body bag" because it's a duffel large enough to stuff in a... well... a stowaway.  THAT is the "Hamper" for the week. All rolled up it's about maybe 15" x 4". We do not spend time on the last day intricately repacking dirty clothes to fit in the bags that brought them.  Then we can Russian Doll the other bags to go home and not have to check any more bags on the return trip than the outgoing.   

• Like 1

I also love the packing cubes. Roll the clothes also before putting them in the cube. I even tape post its to the outside of them to indicate if it contains day or evening clothes or underwear or swimwear for myself or DH. This comes in handy if you have the cubes on shelves instead of hanging the clothes in the closet. DH always brings a lot of Tommy Bahama shirts for evening and I love the special shirt packing cube for them. I also like to use the snack size zip locks for individual jewelry sets for each day. This has made my travel packing so much easier and enjoyable.

Mary Ann

I'm doing a 14 day Europe itinerary with just an international carry on. Get something like Style App for your phone to plan your outfits so that everything mixes and matches. Use cubes. Decant toiletries (most of the time you don't even use a full travel size--practice at home what you need). There are websites that teach you how to create capsule wardrobes for any itinerary/any trip. I do plan to take advantage of the $20 bag special to have some laundry done at least once on the trip. It REALLY isn't that hard if you plan things with the right materials and build a true travel capsule wardrobe. Google Travel Fashion Girl for lots of tips. Getting down to a carry on or at least significantly changing your packing makes life so much easier!

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

I pack outfits for first days in port prior to cruise in carry on ....depending where determines choices 

i try not to open my suitcase at all .so undies, pjs or nightgown, small purse, socks, slacks and tops .small toiletries, slippers , bathing suit and cover hat and sweater in carry on ...roll roll roll squeeze

i pack in cubes for suitcase  ..it fits it comes ...dresses , slacks and tops , comfy shoes ...day wear for visiting night wear for ship .....do plan to do laundry once so you can wear stuff again ....try very light clothes

my biggest problem is limiting myself ....and last year a cold wave not expected in Portugal which forced me to buy gorgeous sweaters 😉😉😉..I wasbitterly cold 

running shoes I wore on plane with sweater , hat and coat i used everywhere ...

its hard for me to limit myself to 50 lbs but i do try ..lol 

17 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

No one has ever looked at my feet, or at least hasn't kicked me out. I only eat in specialties (or O'Sheehan's), no MDRs. When my feet swell the only thing I can wear is my pool slides.

I agree, I've never had anyone stop me from wearing my sandals. I only eat in the MDR, O'Sheehan's, and the buffet. My feet swell terribly too. The sandals I wear are pictured below. They are so comfortable.

spenco.PNG

• Like 1

My wife and I bought quite a few things on our last cruise and actually had room to spare in our suitcases.  We used the linked space saver bags and actually had to be careful with the weight limit in our big suitcase that was only two-thirds full!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07445ZPYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you need sweaters try Merino Wool ones like the JCrew Tippi - reduces a ton of bulk and keeps you warm. Lots of other brands like Uniqlo. Lululemon has a whole line of travel friendly clothes like On the Fly, same with Athleta. Buy things that pull double duty-my bathing suit cover up is my airplane wrap (Scott E Vest Lucille). A lot of being able to pack lightly is making the investment in travel easy clothes. I am NOT saying to buy all "travel clothes"--that would not be fashionable but there are a TON of fashionable things out there that travel/pack really well. Start investing in those when you shop. 

Oh and everyone with the sandals in the MDR if you want an alternative (don't think you need one though) try foldable ballet flats. Tieks are great for not slipping on the ship but if you don't get those definitely scuff up the bottoms with sand paper so you don't go sliding around the deck. 

Another key element is the choice of one's own luggage, whether it is a high-end B&R, popular TravelPro (in black, OMG - dozens of them, it seemed, everywhere ... in the luggage hall) or Rimowa/lookalike spinners (we prefer rollerboards) - buy (invest) in a good, sturdy & proven one in an appropriate size, especially if air travel is involved (unless you only travel by train, ground or buses/motorcoaches, taxi/car service/Uber, etc.) - solid/replaceable wheels are a bonus, if not mandatory ... avoid those AE/Samsonite bundled specials with 3/5/10 "limited" warranty.  

We have our Costco Kirkland Signature 22"+ expandable "carry-on" rollerboard (JetBlue's A320/321 bin-friendly) for about 8 years now, it's heavier than most but sturdy, built solid & use to pack for overseas/int'l air travel - enough for a 10 days to 2 week trip with some laundry done, especially non-winter destinations.  Expanded & densely packed on flying home, it can easily tipped the check-in counter scale at 45 to 50 lbs or 20 kg+ when a few "trophies" are added.  

Two other expandable carry-ons from eBags are 22" sized, when packed full & loaded - will typically not exceed 44 lbs for air-travel ... not everyone can easily lift that into/off those B737 overhead bins, even if you get past the gate dragons with the sizers.  

Packing cubes (med & small are most practical) are used also as compression bags, roll & squeeze to fit, making it easier to cross-pack in case one of the checked bags is mis-routed or delayed.  Packing needs are different for man & woman, learn to take along what works - quick drying, easy-care, minimal wrinkling clothes & sport/casual shirts (SPF+ protection) including underwear (i.e. Under Armour) ... mix/match/layers.

This is one of my favorite travel/cabin-sized backpack (from eBag, discontinued model - newer, similar ones sold online) - everything needed for up to 2 overnights, maybe 3 if necessary as a "Go Bag".   It fits a medium packing cube, a travel laptop/notebook plus a tablet/iPad mini, backup smartphone, accessories slim cube, 2 Tumi (airline) pouches for meds & toiletries, spare pair of eyeglasses, noise-isolating earbuds for music, plus room for a flat sleeve to fit a dress shirt & pair of slacks (slipped into the laptop compartment) & a small insulated thermo to keep beverage hot/cold.  

IMGOF0809_1542.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely on the luggage! The right pieces are everything!! 

My fave carryon is Genius Pack G4. It's not great for international though as it is 1 3/4" over in depth for Icelandair but it does still fit in the slider so try at your own risk. You can get it at Container Store with a coupon so don't pay online pricing. For packing cubes I have everything from eBags to Eagle Creek, Amazon Basics and Compass Rose. Depends on what I am trying to fit and how. Toiletry bags you can try the ebags pack it flat or the Emme (I love this one). 

The Ebags Motherlodes are all also great for checking. We have biggest and the next size down for combining and checking as a family. You do have to be extremely careful with weight on those. Those big bags can carry way more than 50 pounds. 

Oh gosh, you all just THINK you have a detailed packing list, LOL.  Here's mine:  What to bring on a 7-day cruise

Mind you, this is with a few days in the port town to vacation there as well, and the toilletries and medicines really don't take up that much space when you're using travel bottles and only taking a selection of meds.  My toilletries fit in a 6x6x2 hanging bag and the meds easily fit in a quart size ziplock.

Obviously we don't pack only in carry on sized bags (snorkel gear takes up a LOT of room).  Also - this is tailored to 4 people, and obviously cruising to where snorkeling is appropriate.

• Like 1

One other big space saver on prescriptions and OTC meds. Use pill bags (EZY Dose Disposable Pill Pouches). Look on Amazon for them or any drugstore. 

NOW-there are places/people/reports that you must have all meds in original packaging. I have been using pill bags for decades and have never encountered this. Some people take a picture of the original bottles with them that use these. 

Another solution if you are worried about original packaging...switch to a pharmacy that offers "Pill Pack"--Amazon and CVS do. I am sure there are others. This way all your pills (OTC and prescription that you take daily) come in little pouches that are pharmacy labeled. Then you can choose how you want to pack all the extras like imodium and cough meds. 

1 hour ago, LeesaB said:

Oh gosh, you all just THINK you have a detailed packing list, LOL.  Here's mine:  What to bring on a 7-day cruise

You've got me beat on the detail.  I just go with "shave kit" and sort of hope I was bright enough to remember after the last trip to replace or top-off every bath item I depleted.  My responsibility for anything not electronics-related ends when I hand off the items to DW as she physically does the packing.

Though my lists (hand-written, but saved going back a while)  do specify exactly which shirts were brought. I know I'm not going to run into these people again and if I do they won't remember; but don't want photos from THIS cruise to have me wearing the same clothes as the LAST one. 

I concentrate on things I wouldn't be able to easily find if I break/run out. I always bring an extra pair of

sneakers, toiletries, medication,a little food (for airport layovers), cash, passport, documents, spare glasses.

Then I pack clothing in the same two colors to mix and match. I wash in the sink in the room (small items)

and send out some others mid-trip.

I just got back from a 5 day trip and got by with two black skirts, two white shirts, two black tops,

two sweaters and one nightgown plus socks and the extra pair of shoes/sneakers.

Put it all in a carry on.

18 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

My secret is we bring a hockey bag, we call it the "body bag" because it's a duffel large enough to stuff in a... well... a stowaway.  THAT is the "Hamper" for the week. All rolled up it's about maybe 15" x 4". We do not spend time on the last day intricately repacking dirty clothes to fit in the bags that brought them.  Then we can Russian Doll the other bags to go home and not have to check any more bags on the return trip than the outgoing.   

I love this Michael! 

For us it depends on the airline as to which bags we take. If we get a free checked bag we each take one of those plus a personal item (backpack) each. If no free checked bag then we each take a personal item and carry on. 

Then it will depend on where we're going. I pack much differently for Greek Isles than I do the Caribbean. I must admit though, we are over packers. I've been in both camps - where I've had too much and not enough - and I much prefer to have too much stuff. 

3 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

I love this Michael! 

For us it depends on the airline as to which bags we take. If we get a free checked bag we each take one of those plus a personal item (backpack) each. If no free checked bag then we each take a personal item and carry on. 

...and for the record, the Body Bag has never topped the 50lb surcharge threshold.  

5 hours ago, LeesaB said:

Mind you, this is with a few days in the port town to vacation there as well, and the toilletries and medicines really don't take up that much space when you're using travel bottles and only taking a selection of meds.  My toilletries fit in a 6x6x2 hanging bag and the meds easily fit in a quart size ziplock.

Obviously we don't pack only in carry on sized bags (snorkel gear takes up a LOT of room).  Also - this is tailored to 4 people, and obviously cruising to where snorkeling is appropriate.

I love the detail of this list!!!!

A topic I love! I'm a big fan of planning and list-making so packing is just another layer of the fun of being organized. 😄

For my Canada-NE cruise in two weeks I haven't started packing yet but I'm in the stage of making the list and getting things I need. I'm trying to be prepared for all kinds of weather which means a lot of layers. For a Caribbean cruise I could get away with my carry-on-size rollaway easily but for 7 days of unpredictable cold-warm-rainy-whatever my list is much longer! I was thinking about buying a larger bag to check, but instead I've decided to try investing in packing cubes for a lower cost. I just ordered a sample pack of EBags cubes that were a deal on Amazon and I'm hoping I can use them to fit everything in my carry-on...we'll see how it goes!

I'm a list freak.  Extremely organized. Borderline anal about it.  But it works!  Anyway, I create a spreadsheet and specify (1) what I'll wear during the day (swim suit or shorts & tank top at sea VS a casual cotton maxi dress for excursion days (I only do bus tours as I can't do a lot of walking) and (2) what I'll wear in the evening (dressy maxi dresses).  I make sure that I will wear everything twice. I send out my laundry to be done half-way through..  Enough workout sports bras, shorts, shirts, socks for half the cruise.  See attached.

clothes.GIF

Edited by michelle224

45 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

If you create a spreadsheet for clothes on vacation you are BEYOND "borderline" anal.    🙂

I am a spreadsheet junkie too! Have at least three spreadsheets that I update daily to manage my real life (including one tracking inventory on my upcoming sailing), but even *I* don't make a spreadsheet planning out what I am wearing on my cruise! Besides, if I did it would just be "jeans and t-shirt" every day, so it would be quite unnecessary.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Over packing is part of the thrill of getting ready for a cruise...IMO.  Judging from what most people have said, I way over pack...but strangely, I end up wearing or using just about everything.  I think I'd rather over pack than do laundry while on vacation.  My typical packing list looks something like this:

• travel outfit, I wear the same one coming and going so I've got that going for me.
  • bathing suit x2 (or 3)
  • work out attire x3
  • cover up
  • shore excursion/shopping outfit x2
  • casual/sun dress x3
  • casual, flowing pants and matching tops x 3
  • back up outfit x2
  • sandals x2
  • flip flops x2
  • athletic shoes
  • underwear x7
  • socks x3
  • pajamas
  • toiletries
  • cosmetics
  • hair spray
  • headbands
  • sunglasses
  • medicine of all kinds...truth be told, its a full on first aid kit that could stand up to any professional medical black bag.
  • hand bag
  • back pack
  • straws
  • hat
  • phone and affiliated chargers
  • ear plugs
  • pillow
  • passport, money, travel docs
  • costume jewelry
  • curling iron
  • hair dryer (I don't like the ones provided in the cabin)
  • Tide to Go
  • Lysol spray (mini size for an initial sanitation of the cabin upon arrival)
  • reading glasses
  • Sunscreen
  • bug repellent

I haven't packed SPANX before but I like the idea...thanks JamieLogical.

Guess that's about it.  I can't tell you the size of my suitcase, but it's big.  My next cruise is in 34 days.  Maybe I'll take 1 less back up outfit.😉

This is for like a 90 day cruise right?

• Haha 1