Loyalty Benefits question

SoBaycruiser

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks Bonnie, very helpful and explains why we retained our OBC when we got a price reduction on our November cruise.

The  change is far more recent- the ship only learned about it today. Had it been when you benefited we too would have as well which we didn’t and overpaid for the cruise we just finished. 

9 hours ago, uktog said:

The  change is far more recent- the ship only learned about it today. Had it been when you benefited we too would have as well which we didn’t and overpaid for the cruise we just finished. 

It was there in the booking conditions on 20 May when I posted about them.

I believe that was a different document.  I can assure you all the ships received written clarification from the Office last week that benefits could NOT be retained.  They became aware of the amendment yesterday allowing retention.  I know you have a different view of events but my view is not in theory it is reality as it involved two bookings we have in place and which we were trying to have repriced.  We were in the process of cancelling and rebooking when the news came through.

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I believe that was a different document.  I can assure you all the ships received written clarification from the Office last week that benefits could NOT be retained.  They became aware of the amendment yesterday allowing retention.  I know you have a different view of events but my view is not in theory it is reality as it involved two bookings we have in place and which we were trying to have repriced.  We were in the process of cancelling and rebooking when the news came through.

I hope that means you will be able to retain your benefits on the repriced cruises.

It’s good that UK cruisers now have the same terms & conditions as US & other cruisers.

• Like 1

Bonnie are those terms and conditions you list in your post also the same for the U.S.? Specifically I am looking for clarification about not retaining the best price guarantee if I rebook a new cruise from an existing booking in order to retain onboard benefits and not have to pay the cancellation fee.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Hi uktog, LottieA, and all our UK guests,

Here's a clarification directly from our UK office...(CBO note re bullet 3, the allowance to retain the onboard booking benefits is relatively new. Even I wasn't aware this is now permitted, thus the underline by me. bb)

Hi Bonnie

Please can you clarify for Australian guests?

We were given a letter onboard from the Future Cruise Team last week specifically detailing the Best Price Guarantee for UK guests for onboard bookings

1 Free price change up to 91 days prior to sailing on a confirmed booking create onboard

Excludes Guarantee Rates and special travel agent rates You will forfeit all promotions currently sitting on the booking however you will retain your onboard booking benefits

Not Applicable to bookings from Open Passages

standard booking conditions within 90 days prior to sailing

Savings of 3% to !0% based on loyalty level

50% reduced deposit

$300 OBC if booking created within first 5 days of this voyage

Not sure how this actually differs fro the CRUISE AGAIN "ONBOARD BOOKING OFFER" that I had printed from the website which was applicable for new bookings made after January 15th 2018 and was applicable to the cruise I have just completed.

I have  booked onboard before but not this time.  Prices have fallen so much nearer to sale dates that this current offer is not attractive to me.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:27 AM, AllisonJames said:

Bonnie are those terms and conditions you list in your post also the same for the U.S.? Specifically I am looking for clarification about not retaining the best price guarantee if I rebook a new cruise from an existing booking in order to retain onboard benefits and not have to pay the cancellation fee.

I’m not 100% clear on what you’re asking.

But I do know that you only have one BPG per original booking...so once you have used a BPG on an existing booking, to take advantage of a lower fare, you do not have another should the fare fluctuate again.

Is that what you’re referring to?

Bonnie, sorry if I was confusing.  I have an existing onboard booking for May 2020 and was told if I needed to cancel, if I rebooked a new cruise at the same time I could keep onboard benefits and not have to pay the cancellation fee, so I am going to do a rebooking onboard next month for a new cruise for June 2021.   Obviously, this wouldn't be a rebooking of the same cruise using the "best price guarantee."  However, what I am wondering, is if I do that and the new cruise I book later drops in price, whether I can still utilize the "best price guarantee" to rebook for the lower price.  it sounds like if there is one BPG per booking, I would be able to.  But the language you cited earlier in this post from AZ's website seemed a bit vague so I was just trying to get absolute clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be missing something but I do not see the disadvantage of booking a future cruise during the first half of your cruise to get the OBC and LCV discount and 50% reduced deposit to get the cruise itinerary and the cabin you want. On three of the last four cruises with AZ we were able to get lower prices just prior to final payment and keep the OBC and cabin. In one case the new promotion lowered our price and increased the OBC. We are in the U.S. and have gotten great service dealing direct with AZ customer service. The cancellation charges are so low compared to other cruise lines that if you have to cancel or change dates not a big deal compared to the peace of mind of getting the itinerary and cabin you want early.

9 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I may be missing something but I do not see the disadvantage of booking a future cruise during the first half of your cruise to get the OBC and LCV discount and 50% reduced deposit to get the cruise itinerary and the cabin you want. On three of the last four cruises with AZ we were able to get lower prices just prior to final payment and keep the OBC and cabin. In one case the new promotion lowered our price and increased the OBC. We are in the U.S. and have gotten great service dealing direct with AZ customer service. The cancellation charges are so low compared to other cruise lines that if you have to cancel or change dates not a big deal compared to the peace of mind of getting the itinerary and cabin you want early.

The problem is the US terms do not apply globally. If they did I am sure many more would share your view. 

On 6/11/2019 at 7:11 AM, AllisonJames said:

Bonnie, sorry if I was confusing.  I have an existing onboard booking for May 2020 and was told if I needed to cancel, if I rebooked a new cruise at the same time I could keep onboard benefits and not have to pay the cancellation fee, so I am going to do a rebooking onboard next month for a new cruise for June 2021.   Obviously, this wouldn't be a rebooking of the same cruise using the "best price guarantee."  However, what I am wondering, is if I do that and the new cruise I book later drops in price, whether I can still utilize the "best price guarantee" to rebook for the lower price.  it sounds like if there is one BPG per booking, I would be able to.  But the language you cited earlier in this post from AZ's website seemed a bit vague so I was just trying to get absolute clarity.

Hi Allison, if you create a new onboard booking during your May 2020 voyage, and later the rate drops for that new 2021 booking, yes the Best Price Guarantee will apply. 

Thanks Bonnie but that's not exactly what I was asking.  I'm not talking about a completely "new" onboard booking made on my May 2020 voyage.  I'm talking about rebooking a different voyage from my existing May 2020 booking so I don't incur cancellation fees and doing this on my cruise next month.  And so I will not have used the "best price" guarantee yet on that booking and want to make sure I can use it if the price drops on that rebooked cruise.

33 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

Thanks Bonnie but that's not exactly what I was asking.  I'm not talking about a completely "new" onboard booking made on my May 2020 voyage.  I'm talking about rebooking a different voyage from my existing May 2020 booking so I don't incur cancellation fees and doing this on my cruise next month.  And so I will not have used the "best price" guarantee yet on that booking and want to make sure I can use it if the price drops on that rebooked cruise.

Hi Allison, I'm not sure this is 'do-able'. I will check with our CS department. Most likely you'll have to ask your TA and/or call our Customer Service to get specific information, since I don't / can't get involved with individual bookings. But let me ask now for a generic ruling, and get back to you.

3 hours ago, AllisonJames said:

If I understand what you have said, you are cancelling your existing booking and not rebooking the same cruise at a lower price or indeed not rebooking that cruise at all. In my experience that incurs a cancellation fee.

You are making a new booking on board, so I believe the best price guarantee would apply to the new booking. Best price guarantee can only be used once on any booking without penalty.

It will be interesting to see whether the generic ruling is the same as my thoughts.

4 hours ago, AllisonJames said:

Allison, if you look at the paragraph I posted from the AZ website in post #21 (HERE )it seems to apply to your situation.  It says if you aren’t cancelling but only changing the date or ship there is no cancellation fee and you retain the benefits.  However, the part that is confusing is “the booking will retain the payment and penalty schedule of the original sailing” .  Does that mean if your rebooked trip is 6 mo later, your final payment is still due when the original trip’s was due? And it also doesn’t address the best price guarantee.