New Zealand Passport/Immigration Check

I'm going on a cruise which starts in Bali, goes to a number of ports in Australia, cruises the Milford Sound for a day, and then goes to some New Zealand ports.  Our itinerary calls for us to be in Dunedin from 11 AM to 8 PM.  The port (Port Chalmers - Port Otago) has us down as arriving 9 AM and departing 8 PM.  I started wondering about the difference, and wondered if it was simply a change on the cruise line's part, or mistake, or something to do with New Zealand immigration.  Port Chalmers is our first port, other than cruising Milford Sound the day before. Therefore, can anyone who has cruised New Zealand recently tell me what the passport check might be either in Dunedin, or at any port that was the first NZ port you visited on your cruise?  I'm trying to plan my day in Dunedin and the beautiful Otago area!

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm going on a cruise which starts in Bali, goes to a number of ports in Australia, cruises the Milford Sound for a day, and then goes to some New Zealand ports.  Our itinerary calls for us to be in Dunedin from 11 AM to 8 PM.  The port (Port Chalmers - Port Otago) has us down as arriving 9 AM and departing 8 PM.  I started wondering about the difference, and wondered if it was simply a change on the cruise line's part, or mistake, or something to do with New Zealand immigration.  Port Chalmers is our first port, other than cruising Milford Sound the day before. Therefore, can anyone who has cruised New Zealand recently tell me what the passport check might be either in Dunedin, or at any port that was the first NZ port you visited on your cruise?  I'm trying to plan my day in Dunedin and the beautiful Otago area!

I think it would be for customs and bio security to process the ship.NZ is pretty strict.

Thank you Chiliburn.  After I posted, I was able to email the port of Dunedin and got a reply that they usually get everyone cleared in a half hour - unless, of course, there is a problem.   I didn't really ask if we had to be checked individually in person or not, or if the checking was done by looking at passenger manifests and passports or have everyone clear in person.  However, it doesn't really matter.  If the process takes a half hour or less, that's at least helpful for me to know.   

And GradUT, I did read about the new ETA, but thanks for the information, as we are cruising when it's needed.

Recently the NZ Govt introduced a $NZ35 tourist levy to cover infrastructure in some of our smaller areas which have more tourists than locals. Queenstown is one of many . In order to collect this levy an ETA has been introduced. I think only Australia and Singapore are excused because if bilateral trade pacts

When looking online make sure you find the official NZ immigration site not a third party who are official. The Official ones will clip your ticket. If one has experienced third party sites and official govt sites in Europe they will know what I mean

Edited by Beanb41

I discover this a few months ago.

What I am not happy is their writeup about the photo.

They will not accept one with a white background which is what most companies use who take passport and visa photos.

We had one made while we were on our recent cruise.  It was not easy for the photographer as he didn't have an off white background but we did find a spot in the ship.

We'll see if they take this in July, otherwise we will have to find a professional photographer because I don't think the typical passport/visa places that take photos will have an off white background.

Keith

On 6/1/2019 at 1:01 PM, pjwaz said:

Thanks for this information. We knew we needed one for Australia and will also apply for NZ.

I once heard your shoes are checked in NZ.  True or not?

Never had my shoes checked, came back to NZ last Saturday, only maybe if one mentioned they have been on a farm one might be asked. Now going through security especially America taking off ones shoes is a different story

On 6/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, Keith1010 said:

I discover this a few months ago.

What I am not happy is their writeup about the photo.

They will not accept one with a white background which is what most companies use who take passport and visa photos.

We had one made while we were on our recent cruise.  It was not easy for the photographer as he didn't have an off white background but we did find a spot in the ship.

We'll see if they take this in July, otherwise we will have to find a professional photographer because I don't think the typical passport/visa places that take photos will have an off white background.

Keith

The NZ ETA is  not the same as a full Visa and according to the write up on the ETA Website, they do not require a photo. You will receive your ETA in email and can print it to bring along with your Passport to board the plane and eventually the ship. It all rolls out in July and you will even be able to apply by smart phone which, I read, will be cheaper than applying online or hard paper.

I am keeping in mind the eTA program has not officially deployed in New Zealand yet so things can change but that is what the website says today.

Happy Sailing!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jonibme said:

The NZ ETA is  not the same as a full Visa and according to the write up on the ETA Website, they do not require a photo. You will receive your ETA in email and can print it to bring along with your Passport to board the plane and eventually the ship. It all rolls out in July and you will even be able to apply by smart phone which, I read, will be cheaper than applying online or hard paper.

I am keeping in mind the eTA program has not officially deployed in New Zealand yet so things can change but that is what the website says today.

Happy Sailing!

I am arriving by ship.  I have read the writeup several times and it provides examples of what the photos are to look like.  It looks complicated to me.  We'll see when it rolls out.

Keith

45 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

This document does mention a photo being required.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/documents/communications-toolkit/eta-factsheet-for-travel-sector.pdf

And a few months ago on their web site I found the photo they talked about with the off white background.

Keith

Imagine that! It appears there are some inconsistencies between the different Immigration Department website sections. I guess we will have to wait and see what rolls out in July! Very interesting. Thank you for that link!

• Haha 1

Yes my info was from the same site but a different page of it. US requirements... and it lists the Passport photo as Optional. I signed up for that email notification as well.

We are sailing out of Brisbane so I already have our Australian eTA approval. They only took about 15 minutes to receive by email after I submitted the online form. There was a bunch of info off our Passport required but it was easy and fast! No photo required for that one at all.

I hope the NZ eTA follows the same model. If so it will be a quick effort. Fingers crossed here!

On 6/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, Jonibme said:

Yes my info was from the same site but a different page of it. US requirements... and it lists the Passport photo as Optional. I signed up for that email notification as well.

We are sailing out of Brisbane so I already have our Australian eTA approval. They only took about 15 minutes to receive by email after I submitted the online form. There was a bunch of info off our Passport required but it was easy and fast! No photo required for that one at all.

I hope the NZ eTA follows the same model. If so it will be a quick effort. Fingers crossed here!

Yes getting an Australia ETA is a piece of cake.

I wish New Zealand would do the same.  We'll know soon and hoping they don't want that photo.

Keith