Drinks in Advance or On-Board

Hi Folks,

we cruised for the first time 5 years ago with RC.

After boarding on that cruise, it became apparent I was going to spend less money if I bought a drink package. All good.

My wife does not drink alcohol and we bought her (onboard) the refreshment package. All good.

We have now booked our second cruise - Explorer of the Seas (again) this time from Miami in November. Our son is cruising with us in the same cabin.

Looking at drinks packages to buy now, if we go for the deluxe drinks package, we have no choice but to buy 3. Every adult in the state room has to buy it.

This is a complete waste of money for my wife.

Are we going to be better to wait until we are on-board and myself and son can purchase the drinks package with alcohol and my wife can separately buy a refreshment package?

Why do RC insist everyone in the state room takes the package if booked in advance? Its a bit discriminatory to those in the suite who don't take alcohol is it not?

Any advice gratefully received.

6 minutes ago, McHaggis69 said:

Hi Folks,

we cruised for the first time 5 years ago with RC.

After boarding on that cruise, it became apparent I was going to spend less money if I bought a drink package. All good.

My wife does not drink alcohol and we bought her (onboard) the refreshment package. All good.

We have now booked our second cruise - Explorer of the Seas (again) this time from Miami in November. Our son is cruising with us in the same cabin.

Looking at drinks packages to buy now, if we go for the deluxe drinks package, we have no choice but to buy 3. Every adult in the state room has to buy it.

This is a complete waste of money for my wife.

Are we going to be better to wait until we are on-board and myself and son can purchase the drinks package with alcohol and my wife can separately buy a refreshment package?

Why do RC insist everyone in the state room takes the package if booked in advance? Its a bit discriminatory to those in the suite who don't take alcohol is it not?

Any advice gratefully received.

You can get a refreshment package for her, but you have to call and purchase your packages over the phone.

On board you may also have to buy 3 drink packages.  Some ships enforce it some don't.  Too many peoople abusing the system has led to this.

If you call they will allow you to buy the deluxe package and your wife can get the refreshment package.

If you call RC, they will normally let you purchase Refreshment packages for those that don't want the alcohol package.

Purchasing pre-cruise will likely get you the least expensive pricing

So many people thinking it was perfectly fine to purchase one package and then sharing is why they changed the rules (oh, yeah, then coming on these boards and bragging about it). 

Adding to this post...

On our last RC cruise (2014) we were able to buy a "wine" package of a certain number of bottles that we could have with dinner each night...it looks like that is gone.  So my question is: if we buy the Deluxe Package, which includes wine by the glass - and 40% off bottles - are we allowed to order by the glass in the main dining room?  Or would that be a required bottle purchase?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, reeb4 said:

Adding to this post...

On our last RC cruise (2014) we were able to buy a "wine" package of a certain number of bottles that we could have with dinner each night...it looks like that is gone.  So my question is: if we buy the Deluxe Package, which includes wine by the glass - and 40% off bottles - are we allowed to order by the glass in the main dining room?  Or would that be a required bottle purchase?

Thanks!

by the glass is fine.

ah - ok now I understand... there's always a few people looking for a loophole to cheat their way to benefits sadly.

OK - I will give them a call and book the 3 packages on the phone. Many thanks for the advice and so quick responses!

• Like 1