Not Another "O" Air Question?!?

Traveling Fools

2 hours ago, Mura said:

It's not that I'm afraid to be there.  We've spent a fair amount of time there in the past and were never afraid.  It's more that I don't want to support their current government by giving them my money.  I realize that hurts the people ...  It's a difficult decision.

I agree that knowing people in a place where you are visiting as a tourist always adds to the experience.

Gotcha...hadn't factored that into the equation.

Thanks traveling fools, I will do a comparison for our fall trip to Europe.  I never though of Savanna but it would certainly be quicker and better than ATL if the flights are right.  I still think Turkish through Istanbul is a good choice especially if you have local contacts but maybe not for Europe.  Enjoy your O cruise!

Thanks traveling fools, I will do a comparison for our fall trip to Europe.  I never though of Savanna but it would certainly be quicker and better than ATL if the flights are right.  I still think Turkish through Istanbul is a good choice especially if you have local contacts but maybe not for Europe.  Enjoy your O cruise!

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I should qualify my statement by saying that I am comparing business class experiences in these airlines. May or may not be true for economy comparisons.

The service in Turkish business was more like first class service in those other airlines and the seats in TK business are better than seats in business of the other 2 airlines.

Hi Paul,

David and I are taking Oceania next Feb. Capetown to Singapore. Have you and Marsha done that cruise? We are also trying to figure out business class air ( that’s how I stumbled upon you ). Any ideas?

Thanks, Laurie B

In the past I have been able to go online to airline website and pick/upgrade to comfort seats. We just received our reservation for July cruise. According to airline website the reservation is made but not paid for. Once they pay I should be able to upgrade. Does anyone know when they pay for the airline tickets? I thought it was 45 days out?

2 minutes ago, Ivy Blake said:

In the past I have been able to go online to airline website and pick/upgrade to comfort seats. We just received our reservation for July cruise. According to airline website the reservation is made but not paid for. Once they pay I should be able to upgrade. Does anyone know when they pay for the airline tickets? I thought it was 45 days out?

They pay once the cruise is paid in full

13 minutes ago, kihei228 said:

Hi Paul,

David and I are taking Oceania next Feb. Capetown to Singapore. Have you and Marsha done that cruise? We are also trying to figure out business class air ( that’s how I stumbled upon you ). Any ideas?

Thanks, Laurie B

Hi Laurie - long time no see - we should do something about it and catch up 🙂

In the mean time we can talk on the phone about air options - do you have the number?

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Hi Laurie - long time no see - we should do something about it and catch up 🙂

In the mean time we can talk on the phone about air options - do you have the number?

Yes, Paul we have the number. Are you home this weekend? Call tomorrow afternoon?

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

2 hours ago, Ivy Blake said:

It has been paid since April!

Paid in full is the minimum requirement.  It's been reported that tickets may be issued at that point, or at 30 days before the cruise and at any time in between.

2 hours ago, Ivy Blake said:

I think they ticketed ours  about 45 days out

ask your TA to have it done now

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

but they do not ticket  them  until closer to the sailing date

you can ask to be ticketed  once  you are paid in full

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Paid in full is the minimum requirement.  It's been reported that tickets may be issued at that point, or at 30 days before the cruise and at any time in between.

Thanks!  I was thinking 45 days. Have done this on all of my O cruises but it's been 2 years. Planning to phone them in am. Don't want to pay air deviation fee but really want at least comfort seat for 12 hour flight!

1 hour ago, Ivy Blake said:

Thanks!  I was thinking 45 days. Have done this on all of my O cruises but it's been 2 years. Planning to phone them in am. Don't want to pay air deviation fee but really want at least comfort seat for 12 hour flight!

If you are not deviating, you are at the mercy of what the cruiseline gives you.  And when.

Wanna have the ability to guarantee seating?  That'll cost you.

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are not deviating, you are at the mercy of what the cruiseline gives you.  And when.

Wanna have the ability to guarantee seating?  That'll cost you.

True words.... there are no industry standards for seating.  The airlines all have different seats and even for different aircraft too.    For a 12+ hour flight the silly "Premimum Economy" seat is laughable.   Just a name they choose since  they eliminated First Class on many carriers and wanted a 3 class of service.     

As  pointed out... you are at the mercy of the cruise line....    Unless you do a lot of research  you can pay extra for  second or third rate  products.         To reiterate, when you go through O or any 3 rd party you loose a lot of control  and pay extra for a lot of nothing...... with special sounding names.     

AS a matter of health both physical and mental if your over 65, and facing a 12 HOUR FLIGHT across 7 to10 time zones  you need a business lie flat.... not an angle  or recline  but a full on bed.      

• Like 1

Dan:

Not everyone has the budget to fly business lie flat seats.  And not everyone who has the budget decides to spend their money for those lie flat seats. So, I wouldn't call Premium Economy "laughable".  Maybe to you, but perhaps not so for other people. 

Many people also fly economy overseas. To each their own!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

Dan:

Not everyone has the budget to fly business lie flat seats.  And not everyone who has the budget decides to spend their money for those lie flat seats. So, I wouldn't call Premium Economy "laughable".  Maybe to you, but perhaps not so for other people. 

Many people also fly economy overseas. To each their own!

Well  having seen first hand what they are calling "Premium Economy" they are just  on most carriers I have seen in the past months, glorified coach seats  with  better meals and free booze.   For a thousand+ more it is laughable, sorry        You live in Florida  thats 4 hours less flying than people flying from the West coast..  Your looking at 6 to8 hour flights    not 11-13 hours.  For me it is not an option on flights that length.

As far as budget people can choose what they pay. Business class is not that much more than coach if carefully  shopped..    I'd rather take a cruise in an inside cabin and spend on the air than the other way around.

It is, however, a choice one makes....   

It's all about choice for sure!  Flying from SWF it's actually slim pickings for non stop flights for my cruise.  I will be flying American in Premium Economy from MIA to BCN next Spring.  I've researched the plane, seats, etc.   I'll let you know what I think! 

We'd rather put the business class air $$$ towards booze, excursions, cabin etc.  We've done economy to Tahiti and it wasn"t too bad for us.  Maybe as we near 60 I'll put the booze package money towards Business air.  LOL

PS  No inside cabins for us!  That's where we draw the line.  LOL

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

It's all about choice for sure!  Flying from SWF it's actually slim pickings for non stop flights for my cruise.  I will be flying American in Premium Economy from MIA to BCN next Spring.  I've researched the plane, seats, etc.   I'll let you know what I think! 

We'd rather put the business class air $$$ towards booze, excursions, cabin etc.  We've done economy to Tahiti and it wasn"t too bad for us.  Maybe as we near 60 I'll put the booze package money towards Business air.  LOL

PS  No inside cabins for us!  That's where we draw the line.  LOL

Yes  age works  magic on fine wines...it does not work as well with people   I am in my 70's... and you have many more surprises that nature holds for you....    NOT  all of them good.

Good luck on your flights    I just took a 12.5 hour one way from Europe... to LAX    Your lucky being  on the east.

Coach from LAX  is running around $2000 rt     You can get Business  from ual  for $2400-2800 RT !!  if you pick the right flights... yes 2 connections  but they are out there...  It is not that expensive  AA and  DL  are the highest fares I have found.    Ever look at Condor?

Edited by Hawaiidan

Yes, not sure what the future holds as we get older.  That's why we retired young and hope to get our traveling in before Mother Nature gets us.  LOL

Looked at Condor.  Never heard of it.  They don't fly on the days I need and there's also 2 connections.  Thanks for the advice!  You never know what you'll learn here.

• Like 1