Not Another "O" Air Question?!?

Traveling Fools

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, StanandJim said:

For those who are wondering about how all of this works:

A) When a Passenger (or their Agent) contacts Oceania about using their Airline arrangements, step one is establishing an Airline Route and/or  preferred Dates of Travel.

B) Based on those prefrerences, Oceania Air will respond by "suggesting" Air Routing  and pricing until a meeting of the minds occurs.  

C) At the point where the route and the money are agreed to, the non-refundable Deviation Fee comes into play.  

D) Paying the Air Deviation Fee grants Oceania permission to make Airline Reservations for your Cruise, but the Airline Tickets are typically not purchased until Final Payment on the Cruise is made.  Some Airlines will allow Seating to be chosen based on "reserved" tickets, other Airlines only allow seat selection for purchased tickets.  

Hello Crewmates,

DW and I are new to Oceanian and are trying to wrap our heads around OAir practices and procedures.  I would ask that his thread remain focused on the mechanics of OAir and not drift to reasons for booking on your own.  There are gaps in my understanding of how Oair works that I’m sure you “O” veterans can answer.

OK,
  1. When you book with O you have the option of selecting the OLife fare or the Cruise only fare
  2. Selection of the OLife fare includes economy class airfare from designated portal cities.
  3. The basic “O” airfare will have you arrive at the port of departure on the day of embarkation and return you to your portal city on the day of disembarkation.
  4. You must work through your TA when scheduling your flights.
  5. “O” charges additional fees for deviations you want to make and for any upgrade in travel class.
  6. “O” charges a fee of $175 per passenger round trip for any changes you want to make that deviates from the travel dates they schedule; i.e. arriving a day or more early and/or departing a day or more later.
  7. In addition to the $175 per person deviation fee “O” charges, they will also charge other fees associated with the change in flight schedule.

My question is what constitutes those associated fees?

Olife is separate from air. They are packaged in the marketing literature but are actually independent of each other. You may take Olife with air, without air, or partial air, using for just one segment.

Rather than relying on this forum I strongly suggest contacting Oceania and getting your specific questions answered, preferably in writing.

Oceania’s terms regarding air:

Air Transportation 
Oceania Cruises, as an added service to our Guests, offers arrangements for air travel in conjunction with a cruise. Air arrangements, including routings, are at Oceania Cruises' (or its agents') discretion, and are based on flight availability and agreements with airlines. Special requests, including class of service upgrades, specific carriers and routing, are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises. Occasionally, due to scheduling conflicts, an enroute overnight might be necessary. Costs associated with an overnight stay are at the Guest's expense. Upgrades apply to intercontinental flights only. Air allowance is subject to prevailing rates at time of change. In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent on the Guest's behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and is not responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules. Air tickets are refundable to Oceania Cruises only and considered a part of the total cruise tour fare. Any airline-imposed fees that result from changes to or cancellation of air arrangements are the sole responsibility of the Guest. Due to government regulations, if you are delayed or unable to board at embarkation, you may not be able to board at a later time. In such event, Carrier shall have no liability to refund any cruise or cruise tour fares.

Seat Assignments and Pre-Flight Arrangements 
Any pre-flight arrangements, such as seat assignments, frequent flyer programs, wheelchair requests, oxygen or special meal requests, must be made by the guest directly with the airlines based on their policies and procedures. Oceania Cruises cannot confirm any special airline requests unless otherwise specified. Due to special fares used, frequent flyer or past traveler discounts may not apply to air tickets issued by Oceania Cruises. These special requests and services should be arranged by your Travel Agent directly with the airlines. 

Independent Travel Arrangements 
Oceania Cruises has no responsibility with regard to air or land travel arrangements made by non-refundable, restricted travel or frequent flyer tickets. This exclusion of liability includes consequences to independently arranged air or land travel that may result from last minute changes in the embarkation or debarkation ports, and delays in arrival at any airport or port location. Please refer to the Guest Ticket/Contract for full Terms and Conditions of these exclusions.

1. The use of an airline that O may not have contracts with.

2. Airlines typically limit the number of bulk rate tickets available on any given flight. The availability of bulk rate tickets on a flight may be exhausted. However, O Air may still be able to get you onto a requested flight, but at a higher cost. You will pay that difference.

3. Some airlines such as British Airlines charge for seat assignments made prior to 24 hours departure. If you request a seat you will pay O for it.

Edited by pinotlover

2 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:
  1. In addition to the $175 per person deviation fee “O” charges, they will also charge other fees associated with the change in flight schedule.

My question is what constitutes those associated fees?

Those additional fees represent any additional costs for the fight(s) which the passenger has selected as opposed to the baseline flights which Oceania would otherwise use.  

Edited by StanandJim

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Those additional fees represent any additional costs for the fight(s) which the passenger has selected as opposed to the baseline flights which Oceania would otherwise use.  

Just to add to above - sometimes (usually) the flights you choose may cost more and you would be responsible for the extra cost. That said, it is theoretically possible that your chosen flights may not cost any more than O’s flights - no additional cost to you.

Another thing that could add an extra cost is if the airport you originate from is not an included "free" gateway. I'm in that position and we usually pay 99 per person per way to get to a gateway. For me that's a good deal as we can't get flights to a gateway for $200 pp round trip. 

Perhaps they add on additional fees to your requested deviation because they can. 

The bottom line is do the math. I know you didn't ask about doing it on your own but what we always do is see what the air credit is, then see if we can do it cheaper on our own. Being in the middle of the country originating from a Regional airport 9 times out of 10 O is cheaper for us. But then again we've cruised enough with them that we get the deviation fees waived. Those is major metropolitan areas with a major air hub will usually have a different experience. 

17 hours ago, pinotlover said:

1. The use of an airline that O may not have contracts with.

2. Airlines typically limit the number of bulk rate tickets available on any given flight. The availability of bulk rate tickets on a flight may be exhausted. However, O Air may still be able to get you onto a requested flight, but at a higher cost. You will pay that difference.

3. Some airlines such as British Airlines charge for seat assignments made prior to 24 hours departure. If you request a seat you will pay O for it.

And  the list can go on...fuel surcharges, different tax, baggage,    When you give O control  you loose control. You have to pay for just letting them pick,  , come in earily,  choose a better class of service, pick an airline...a schedule( non stop most expensive  then 1 stop, less the 2 stop lower.  Business class, better seats... all add up fast. 

Then if any changes...O owns the ticket and is the one who needs to make changes.        No thanks  I am happy booking direct with the airline and have total control  even en route if there is an equipment problem, which happens more than you think

Thank you all for your replies.  Between the information and insight you each provided and information contained in O's FAQ dropdown, I pretty sure I've got a handle on the issue.  I am pretty much a book it yourself person and live between 3 and 5 hours away from 2-major gateway airports (Orlando & Miami), my local airport being Jacksonville.  Just doing basic stubby pencil work it wasn't hard to figure out it is, in most instances, more economical financially and in time to fly. regardless of class of travel, out of Jacksonville rather than thru the gateway airports.  But DW want me to ask the experts to make sure I wasn't getting off track.

Again, thank you all!

Depending on when and where you fly, you should consider whether to fly out of JAX or MCO, there are more direct flights out of MCO.  Example in Winter flying to EU or thru EU or to Asia, I would chose MCO as there are direct flights to EU or to LAX/SFO rather than going through ATL, EWR, IAD or any winter prone airport.

Edited by PaulMCO

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Depending on when and where you fly, you should consider whether to fly out of JAX or MCO, there are more direct flights out of MCO.  Example in Winter flying to EU or thru EU or to Asia, I would chose MCO as there are direct flights to EU or to LAX/SFO rather than going through ATL, EWR, IAD or any winter prone airport.

This can be true, but when I plug in my Oct & Nov travel dates into ITA Matrix for travel to BCN and back from VCE there is nothing direct from & to MCO.  Further, arrival times on the return from VCE to MCO are very late at night.  I can book flights out of JAX with more agreeable departure and return times for less on E, PE, or J fares than booking through MCO.  And I only live 30 minutes away from JAX.  If I book thru JAX, I can be home before I would even land at MCO.

Here are fare comparisons I extracted from ITA  yesterday:

FARE          JAX                                       MCO                                                        MIA

E               $1,335>                              $1,300>                                                     $1,000<

PE               2,174 - 3,500                      1,754 - 3,000                                            2,000>

J                  3,960>                                 4,320>                                                      Too High

There was one J fare out of Miami that caught my eye.  Turkish Air for $2,800....includes a 3 day layover in Istanbul on the way back (hotel on me).  I've spent time in the interior of Turkey on business and have flown thru, into and out of Istanbul many times, but have never spent any time there.  The routing makes it tempting. 

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

There was one J fare out of Miami that caught my eye.  Turkish Air for $2,800....includes a 3 day layover in Istanbul on the way back (hotel on me).  I've spent time in the interior of Turkey on business and have flown thru, into and out of Istanbul many times, but have never spent any time there.  The routing makes it tempting.

FWIW, Turkish airline is outstanding. Aside from being ranked as the best European airline for the last 10 years or so (for what that is worth as all polls go) they are better than Lufthansa and BA in my personal opinion and experience.

In addition, spending 3 days in Istanbul should be incentive enough.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

FWIW, Turkish airline is outstanding. Aside from being ranked as the best European airline for the last 10 years or so (for what that is worth as all polls go) they are better than Lufthansa and BA in my personal opinion and experience.

In addition, spending 3 days in Istanbul should be incentive enough.

Thanks for the feedback Paul.  I'm thinking hard about doing it.  I just need to convince DW.

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks for the recommend.

16 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for the recommend.

I should qualify my statement by saying that I am comparing business class experiences in these airlines. May or may not be true for economy comparisons.

The service in Turkish business was more like first class service in those other airlines and the seats in TK business are better than seats in business of the other 2 airlines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Just flying economy so going by Skytrax which says nice things. One of my kids just flew Turkish business and has raved as well. Giving them a whirl and thanks to you both.

You are welcome - hope you get to experience them and hope you enjoy them as well.

We flew Turkish business earlier this year (to India, they also have a lot of Africa connections) and it was great.  A few years ago we flew Turkish Economy and it was also very good.  On that trip we did an Istanbul stopover on our way to Africa and it was a good way to get over jet lag.  Turkish is really good about stopovers.  But they also have a wonderful lounge in Istanbul.  I do not know if it is only for business etc.  Traveling Fools, we were going from the island both times but went from MCO and this year Atlanta.  We seldom go from JAX if we can get a direct flight from MCO or MIA but I am going to check that out after reading your entries.  And Europe is different from going further away.

I'm in SWF.  When looking at air to BCN for our Spring cruise next year, the only nonstop to BCN that I could find is on American MIA to BCN.  Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in since you live near JAX.

11 hours ago, Mura said:

We do love Istanbul but I don't know that I'd want to go there these days ...

Mura

I understand your reservations about visiting Istanbul, but having lived, worked, and traveled throughout in the middle east DW's and my radars are tuned in to remaining aware of our surroundings.  The only place we have traveled to where we felt the slightest bit uncomfortable was Syria in March 2000 and only then because we knew we were under constant watch by government agents, our "tour" guide being one of them.

One of my brothers has Turkish friends living in Istanbul.  We will take advantage of that relationship should we decide to fly Turkish Air.

It's not that I'm afraid to be there.  We've spent a fair amount of time there in the past and were never afraid.  It's more that I don't want to support their current government by giving them my money.  I realize that hurts the people ...  It's a difficult decision.

I agree that knowing people in a place where you are visiting as a tourist always adds to the experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Just flying economy so going by Skytrax which says nice things. One of my kids just flew Turkish business and has raved as well. Giving them a whirl and thanks to you both.

My suggestion...take the Skytrax ratings with a huge grain of salt.  Like a two ton block.

They are primarily an airline consultancy company that earns the bulk of their revenue from the very airlines that they are rating.  There have been some ratings that are controversial, with what appear to be differing standards for different carriers.

And, to add to the discussion about Turkish, Skytrax has downgraded them to only 3 stars.  Guess they are no longer a consultancy client.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

My suggestion...take the Skytrax ratings with a huge grain of salt.  Like a two ton block.

They are primarily an airline consultancy company that earns the bulk of their revenue from the very airlines that they are rating.  There have been some ratings that are controversial, with what appear to be differing standards for different carriers.

And, to add to the discussion about Turkish, Skytrax has downgraded them to only 3 stars.  Guess they are no longer a consultancy client.

You're probably right. At the minimum recent Tripadvisor reports don't take too kindly of them in economy. It's for a TA and I have some time, but their price is by far the best. Mura's reasons affect mine too.

47 minutes ago, Mura said:

It's not that I'm afraid to be there.  We've spent a fair amount of time there in the past and were never afraid.  It's more that I don't want to support their current government by giving them my money.  I realize that hurts the people ...  It's a difficult decision.

I agree that knowing people in a place where you are visiting as a tourist always adds to the experience.

Mura, my sentiments lie with you too. Know some lovely people there, yet Erdogan and his miscreants are repulsive and make their lives miserable. It's a drop in the bucket but still a drop.

Not using O air but wonder if they'd use them.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tvmovielover said:

We flew Turkish business earlier this year (to India, they also have a lot of Africa connections) and it was great.  A few years ago we flew Turkish Economy and it was also very good.  On that trip we did an Istanbul stopover on our way to Africa and it was a good way to get over jet lag.  Turkish is really good about stopovers.  But they also have a wonderful lounge in Istanbul.  I do not know if it is only for business etc.  Traveling Fools, we were going from the island both times but went from MCO and this year Atlanta.  We seldom go from JAX if we can get a direct flight from MCO or MIA but I am going to check that out after reading your entries.  And Europe is different from going further away.

tvmovielover….in the past we have also used MCO.  This is the first time we have had to deal with deviation and assorted other fees just to add a day or two onto the trip going and coming back.  Normally we rent a car to get there and back, and if the it is a early morning departure we stay in the Airport's Hyatt. 

Just for grins and giggles this trip I decided to compare fares from O's four gateway airports in this region against fares from JAX. (MIA, MCO, &, SAV).  I did not include ATL because it is a longer, more congested drive from here.  I started off assuming that fares from the two major gateways, MIA and MCO, would be substantially lower than SAV & JAX; and that because SAV was an "O" gateway it too would have lower fares.  I discovered 1) after paying O's fees that pricewise JAX was as competitive as MIA, MCO, & SAV for economy and, except for Turkish Air, beat all 3 for business class fares. And 2) Departure and arrival times from/to JAX were much better than the 3-gateway airports.