Today's dress code challenge

Windsurfboy

Given the the number of replies that were underwhelmed by Cunard's pictorial suggestions for smart evening attire. (Click on experience,  then what to pack to find these)

The challenge is to post pictures of what you think is smart evening attire for non gala nights,  a range  that will appeal to the young and the young at heart.

They don't have to follow current rules, however I  hope they are such that they indicate that   , time effort and thought has been put into choosing clothes for a special occasion that all nights on one of the Queens should be.

Get posting

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Given the the number of replies that were underwhelmed by Cunard's pictorial suggestions for smart evening attire. (Click on experience,  then what to pack to find these)

The challenge is to post pictures of what you think is smart evening attire for non gala nights,  a range  that will appeal to the young and the young at heart.

They don't have to follow current rules, however I  hope they are such that they indicate that   , time effort and thought has been put into choosing clothes for a special occasion that all nights on one of the Queens should be.

Get posting

Why just the young and young at heart. Don't the rest of us matter?

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The young at heart includes the rest of us of all ages. 

Not me. I was born 72, though I haven't yet reached it chronologically. And I resent the implication that youthfulness, rather than the wisdom of age, is a desirable quality.

• Like 1

Thank you. I have several dresses like this that I am bringing for the non formal nights. A nice pair of shoes and you can be dressed in 10 minutes. Add a shrug and you are all set. Aside from hair and makeup of course.

So, the (so very well titled by BellBoy) Safari Park Ranger Dress- the one on the Cunard site is a wrap dress- but it is very plain in color and in (my opinion) lack of style...

The fact is, I love wrap dresses... just not that one... so I tried to find an example of another longish sleeved wrap dress- but one that I would personally wear on a smart night. This one has a more interesting neckline and a fun fabric choice.

(I don’t always choose prints, but when I do, I want them to be interesting.)

The long sleeves would keep my arms warm, but I would feel I was ready for a lovely night after a day exploring a port city!

5399999C-B096-4337-B065-E74BD8259E22.jpeg

• Like 4

Now that's what I'd call stylish and  smart elegant.  Complemented with  a nice small clutch bag and a tiny bit of bling ..... and you are all set . 

By the way,  just incase anyone is wondering why a male should be commenting on these ladies fashions. It has been men who have dressed some of the 'Worlds most Famous women' over the years. 

Many of the Couture houses in previous years, throughout Europe, were founded by a male , even today there are still  many gentlemen at the top in ladies fashion industry .

Want to find out more ? Consider booking a  QM2 crossing, during Transatlantic Fashion week 😉

• Like 1

being  young at heart doesn't preclude you being old and wise. That's the best combination wisdom and enthusiasm 

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Not me. I was born 72, though I haven't yet reached it chronologically. And I resent the implication that youthfulness, rather than the wisdom of age, is a desirable quality.

3 hours ago, Se1lad said:

In that case I am sure the Old and Wise can participate too!

Come on men don't let the ladies do all the posting

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Very nice! They certainly look better than Cunard' s experts choice.

Challenge now is to find pictures with models nearer the average age of Cunard customers. 

Meh - the we’d get into finding models who are the SIZE of average Cunard customers. Clothing manufacturers seem to think every woman is 5’9” (1.75m) no matter how wide they are.

I suppose the next step in this ridiculousness would be to insist on having the average Cunard passenger's weight, waistline, chest size, bustline, shoe size, amount of hair, color of hair,  and have the average of attractiveness (can't be too pretty or too handsome).   

18 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I am going on a Cunard cruise soon. Before I saw this thread I was worried about being under dressed. Now I think I might be ott for the smart attire nights.

I wouldn’t worry about being over the top... lots of people love to dress up... so enjoy!

Personally I love vintage sparkly jewelry... and I will have on my vintage sparkles even on the smart nights

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I am going on a Cunard cruise soon. Before I saw this thread I was worried about being under dressed. Now I think I might be ott for the smart attire nights.

Don’t worry. Many women wore pantsuits or simple skirt/blouse combos for our smart attire nights. The pics here are just counters to the pictures on the Cunard website. They picked some ....unbecoming?...choices. Or, as in the original post on this thread, even pics that *appear* to violate the written suggestions. You will be fine. Please post pics when you return from your voyage. 

31 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I’m planning a dark blue suit with a different mix of ties/vests/pocket squares for each of the smart evenings, and ordering a fresh boutonnière for a navy tuxedo for each of the gala evenings. It’s all totally out of character for me. I never dress up, and despise wearing ties. But I couldn’t be more excited to dive into this and have a blast. The point is, do your thing and enjoy yourself. And please do tell us about it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

Of course I would be remiss not to include a classic... always works... a beautiful black dress... 

Add accessories you love

D43E3D7D-2E4D-40B8-BE67-CBF848D1A790.jpeg

Oh! Good one! I took a very simple LBD. Great with a silky pashmina, too.

• Like 2