Oasis class movement question

We are cruising on the Allure in July and our family is not prone to sea sickness and never have any concerns about movement of the ship. However, we are taking a friend of my daughters and she gets motion sickness very easily. She has never cruised before so we have no idea how she will do. My question is:  How much movement is felt on the Oasis class ships? Yes, I know that is all subjective to weather and sea conditions but I am just curious as to how it is under normal conditions. 

Also, for those who suffer from sea sickness, what is your "go to"  for preventing it or helping with it during your cruise?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!!!

I am prone to motion sickness. I take the generic meclizine from CVS. It is one pill every 24 hours. I take it before bed in case it makes me sleepy. I start taking it a day before the cruise. We did feel motion from time to time on the Allure in February. I never felt sick. I hope this helps!

• Like 2

We have done 8 Oasis class sailings in the Bahamas, Caribbean, and Mediterranean and I can remember very few instances of any movement. I don’t believe we have ever felt major movement on one of the Oasis class. 

I cruised on the Oasis and actually missed sail away because I lost track of time and didn't feel one bit of motion.  By the time we realized what time it was and figured we weren't in port any more, we were several miles away from Port Everglades.  We spent the entire cruise trying to detect motion and it was kind of a running joke of ohhh...I felt something for the entire week! 🙂  Unless you hit a large storm or something similar my guess is you will be fine.

• Like 2

Been on Oasis class 3X, think I felt the boat move once.  I've barely felt the smaller ships move either TBH.

FWIW, my MIL uses those wrist band thingies.

Edited by OCSC Mike

10 hours ago, waykaylincruz said:

Also, for those who suffer from sea sickness, what is your "go to"  for preventing it or helping with it during your cruise?

Book rooms on the lowest level in the center of the ship.

• Like 1

Dramamine is the pinnacle of motion sickness relief. However because of how tired it makes you, their less-effective but also less-drowsy formula is the best solution I have found.

Edited by nanowerx

If she has major issues, it might be a good idea to get a prescription and take scopalomine patches.

You will see many people on board with the round "bandaid" behind their ear.

Different people have different issues with motion.  And different motions can lead to different issues.  Cruise ships have longer, slower motions.  Cars and planes have shorter, faster motions.

Some folks are so sensitive, that they don't need to "feel" the motion at all...and you can't predict what the ship might do....it is but a "cork" floating on the sea...doesn't really matter how large it is, the ocean is larger and the ship merely floats upon it!

Her pediatrician is the one to say what would work best!

I have had motion sickness issues my whole life- haven't been on that ship, but on other smaller ships.  I take Bonine- not sure of your daughter's friend's age, but it is for 12 and over- all non-drowsy meds by mouth are as I have tried to find some for my kids!  It still makes me a little sleepy, but not horrible.  I take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with dinner so I am always covered.  I also take one the morning we are to get on the ship to be sure it is in my system.  Also, if she takes allergy meds, like Zyrtec, the sleepiness can be increased- found that out on my last cruise!  Stopped taking the Zyrtec and all was good!  Good luck!

If you hit rough seas it is possible to feel it on an Oasis class ship.  We had a long stretch on Symphony in March where it was kind of amusing trying to eat dinner as everyone at the table would sway one way then the other. I could feel it well into the night.  Luckily in bed it was more a rocking side to side which wasn’t too bad.  One of our group spent a whole day in her cabin because she is prone to motion sickness. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing but I would suggest bringing several choices to prevent motion sickness so you are prepared if one kind works better.

I get extreme motion sickness on ships, planes and long car rides.  I use the patch and put it on the night before the cruise.  On Oasis and Allure we have felt little to no motion so I think she will be okay but I would take non-drowsy Dramamine at the least. 

Edited by MandyMooToo

Oasis Class is the largest cruise ship in the world . Most do not know,  you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean . 

Fortunately I have never been seasick on the ships . Even on the smallest. But for those affected by the motion in ocean , bless you and hope you do not experience it . 

THANK YOU all so much! Great ideas here and I will make sure I am well stocked with motion sickness meds when we board the ship!! Sounds like most of the time there is little no movement felt. That was what I was hoping for 🙂 

It is a good idea to have some motion sickness med ready if you are prone to motion sickness. While the Oasis class ships are big, they are not immune to motion. When we were on the Harmony in Oct 2018 and the Allure in Apr 2019, there were more than one aqua shows rescheduled due to ocean swells. For the Harmony, we even saw the water splashed out of the aqua theater pool before they rescheduled the show.