Jan 2020 cruise out of Miami—stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

CntPAcruiser

We will be cruising on Explorer out of Miami in January 2020, but flying into Ft. Lauderdale the night before. We are trying to decide whether we should stay the night at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and arrange for transportation to Port of Miami on the day of the cruise, or if we should get transportation from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Miami and spend the night there.

A side question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a shuttle service or other transport from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami?

Your choice - what time s does your flight arrive?  Arriving late I would stay near FLL and head to PIN in the morning. Arriving early you can stAy in either FLL area or Miami.  www.sunny.org has lots of ALL area hotel and tourist info.

Lots of shared shuttles between the FLL area and POM for about $15 per perso n.  Check with SAS, QLS, MJS, and Go Airport Shuttle. Or you can use UberX, good for 2-3 passengers and bags, for about $35+

Funny.....I am doing the same thing.  Coming from Boston our flight arrives in Fort Lauderdale at about 2pm.  Given the fact that we will have had a very long day, the last thing I want to do is to get to Miami.  Going to stay near the airport, utilizing their hotel shuttle to the airport.  Planning on using one of the above modes of transportation from the hotel to Miami.  Better than paying for transportation twice.

22 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

Funny.....I am doing the same thing.  Coming from Boston our flight arrives in Fort Lauderdale at about 2pm.  Given the fact that we will have had a very long day, the last thing I want to do is to get to Miami.  Going to stay near the airport, utilizing their hotel shuttle to the airport.  Planning on using one of the above modes of transportation from the hotel to Miami.  Better than paying for transportation twice.

We haven't booked a flight yet, but I agree that minimizing the separate legs of transport is a good idea. On the other hand, we usually try to stay somewhere near to shopping and dining so we can buy our bottles of wine to take on board and get dinner away from the hotel. We may try to get a shuttle to Miami and stay somewhere there the night before the cruise--will have to check out airport hotels versus near the cruise port, if that is any great distance.

We are sailing in April.  Flights from the Boston area are so very expensive.  It is school vacation week in the Northeast.  Trying to cut some corners here and there....airport hotels are generally less $$.  We can always take a taxi if we wanted to dine out.  Or even have pizza delivery.  We have to be at the airport so early we just may be hitting a wall late in the afternoon.

12 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We haven't booked a flight yet, but I agree that minimizing the separate legs of transport is a good idea. On the other hand, we usually try to stay somewhere near to shopping and dining so we can buy our bottles of wine to take on board and get dinner away from the hotel. We may try to get a shuttle to Miami and stay somewhere there the night before the cruise--will have to check out airport hotels versus near the cruise port, if that is any great distance.

We can't give you the best advice until you know your flight schedule honestly. 

If you arrive in day light I say go to Miami, get the drive over with (30-45mins) stay at a hotel near the Port which means staying in Downtown or Brickell which is the heart of the city. You can walk to endless choices for dinning, drinking, shopping. And then the morning of the cruise have an easy time finding a spot to buy your wine and anything else. 

Downtown/Brickell area is a 10-min drive to the port. 

How many people are you? Ubrer/Lyft is almost always the best choice to get to Miami from FLL area unless you are a large group. 

Arrive late in FLL, then usually makes sense to just get an airport hotel near FLL and Shuttle/Uber-Lyft down to Miami that morning. 

13 hours ago, jonsmom said:

Funny.....I am doing the same thing.  Coming from Boston our flight arrives in Fort Lauderdale at about 2pm.  Given the fact that we will have had a very long day, the last thing I want to do is to get to Miami.

You know its a 35-min drive right? 

10 minutes ago, Flymia said:

And when you factor in the 10 - 15 minutes to get to the FLL hotel, the difference is 20 - 25 minutes.

That said, i'm in the "it doesn't really matter" camp.  It makes no difference if you go to Miami or FLL.  I'd probably look at the hotel I want to stay at, what I want to do, where I want to eat... that type of thing.  If I just want to get off the plane and crash for the night, I'd probably just stay in a hotel near the FLL airport.  The drive to Miami in the morning is easy enough.

I would suggest staying near the port, that’s just one less thing to worry about the day of the cruise.  There are several places to buy wine and other supplies near the hotels at both ports.  I like seeing the ships in the morning 

55 minutes ago, BNBR said:

And when you factor in the 10 - 15 minutes to get to the FLL hotel, the difference is 20 - 25 minutes.

That said, i'm in the "it doesn't really matter" camp.  It makes no difference if you go to Miami or FLL.  I'd probably look at the hotel I want to stay at, what I want to do, where I want to eat... that type of thing.  If I just want to get off the plane and crash for the night, I'd probably just stay in a hotel near the FLL airport.  The drive to Miami in the morning is easy enough.

Agreed, its all about personal preference. But sometimes I see people making such a big deal about "getting down to Miami" the same day they fly in as if its some sort of excursion. Unless its 7am-10am its a very easy drive. A lot of people don't know that it seems. 

19 minutes ago, Flymia said:

Agreed, its all about personal preference. But sometimes I see people making such a big deal about "getting down to Miami" the same day they fly in as if its some sort of excursion. Unless its 7am-10am its a very easy drive. A lot of people don't know that it seems. 

Yup.  It think it has to do with some posters here making it seem like a trek in the past.  Lately the advice seems to be more in line with reality.  We use the airports interchangeably, whichever has the better flight.  Kind of like O'Hare vs Midway in Chicago or Newark vs JFK in NYC.  It doesn't make much off a difference.

6 hours ago, Flymia said:

If you arrive in day light I say go to Miami, get the drive over with (30-45mins) stay at a hotel near the Port which means staying in Downtown or Brickell which is the heart of the city. You can walk to endless choices for dinning, drinking, shopping. And then the morning of the cruise have an easy time finding a spot to buy your wine and anything else. 

How many people are you? Ubrer/Lyft is almost always the best choice to get to Miami from FLL area unless you are a large group. 

Arrive late in FLL, then usually makes sense to just get an airport hotel near FLL and Shuttle/Uber-Lyft down to Miami that morning. 

19 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Lots of hotels on/near 17th street in FLL with restaurants and a Publix (wine) within walking distance.

12 hours ago, Flymia said:

We should be arriving early afternoon, and the more I read of the helpful information posted by several folks above, the more I'm inclined to get to Miami and stay there. For what I'm looking for, I'm finding more attractive hotel choices in Miami.

We had looked at some airport shuttles that seemed cheaper than Uber/Lyft might be, but I think they were airport to airport, so we'd still need to get transportation to the hotel. We'll have look into whether Uber/Lyft would be more cost-effective and easier in the long run. It is just the two of us with normal luggage.

Thanks to all who responded!

10 hours ago, JohninDC said:

For 2 plus bags you cannot beat UberX or standard Lyft who will take you from FLL to your Miami hotel for about $35+

But if you stay at a hotel near FLL, which will be cheaper than downtown MIA near the port, you also save on the second Lyft/Uber needed in the morning since you got a free airport shuttle.

Stay near FLL....probable free shuttle, limited food options for dinner, one Uber needed to cruise port.

Stay near Miami...probable more expensive hotel, better food options for dinner, two Ubers needed.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

But if you stay at a hotel near FLL, which will be cheaper than downtown MIA near the port, you also save on the second Lyft/Uber needed in the morning since you got a free airport shuttle.

Stay near FLL....probable free shuttle, limited food options for dinner, one Uber needed to cruise port.

Stay near Miami...probable more expensive hotel, better food options for dinner, two Ubers needed.

My point exactly

On 6/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

We should be arriving early afternoon. 

We had looked at some airport shuttles that seemed cheaper than Uber/Lyft might be, but I think they were airport to airport, so we'd still need to get transportation to the hotel. We'll have look into whether Uber/Lyft would be more cost-effective and easier in the long run. It is just the two of us with normal luggage.

Thanks to all who responded!

Easy choice, go to Miami from FLL. Uber/Lyft is the way to go, period. Don't overthink this. $35-$45 in an Uber/Lyft standard car. Easy drive down right to your hotel. Shuttles are usually $15/pp and there is no way it will be cheaper if you go airport-airport. Shuttles also deal with stops on the way. 

Enjoy your vacation from the start. Lots of good hotel options in Downtown Miami and Brickell. Great places to enjoy the evening. 

The next morning you can get a nice breakfast and again Uber/Lyft to the port, $6-$12 depending on where your hotel is. 

22 hours ago, Flymia said:

Easy choice, go to Miami from FLL. Uber/Lyft is the way to go, period. Don't overthink this. $35-$45 in an Uber/Lyft standard car. Easy drive down right to your hotel. Shuttles are usually $15/pp and there is no way it will be cheaper if you go airport-airport. Shuttles also deal with stops on the way. 

Enjoy your vacation from the start. Lots of good hotel options in Downtown Miami and Brickell. Great places to enjoy the evening. 

The next morning you can get a nice breakfast and again Uber/Lyft to the port, $6-$12 depending on where your hotel is. 

This sounds to me like the way to go. Good point about the shuttle pricing and (lack of) convenience versus Uber/Lyft.

Thanks again to all who responded for your input.