Horse racing on the pool deck

11 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It was fun, but even on small ships the betting process took forever.   Can't imagine thousands on Oasis class ship lined up along pool deck waiting to bet.

Keep in mind, not everyone will gamble.  Also, no money need to be exchanged, simply swipe/charge the sea pass card for any bets.  Pax will surround the pool, just as they do for the belly flop competition.:classic_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, JamesEM said:

Horse racing sadly has gone the way of hitting golf balls off the fan tail, skeet shooting , and the midnight buffet.  

I would have liked to have tried the skeet shooting.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I would have liked to have tried the skeet shooting.

Fond memories!  My late husband was a former Vietnam era Marine.  Took our high-school aged son on the Serenade and Majesty.  They tried skeet shooting - Dad truly left a lasting impression!  

I never missed it!  My daughter and I were once picked to move the horses and it was so much fun.  I was hoping they’d have it on my last transatlantic and a Panama Canal Cruise with 6 sea days but they didn’t.  

Love the horse racing - we bought a horse on 1 cruise(Bermuda 2003 - Empress of the seas).  The kids had so much fun "dressing" the horse in theme.  Since one of the adults had a fractured leg, the horse was appropriately named, "Break a Leg".  I say, bring back the races!!!!

We had the pleasure of owning a horse on the Grandeur of the Seas back in the late 1990's.  The trip was shortly after we enjoyed a week in New Orleans just after Marti Gras so we appropriately named it Boudreaux's Bust or something like that (as I recall), dressed it up in New Orleans regalia and had a blast for the week.  Also as I recall, the horse was appropriately named, as it came in toward the end of the pack but was dressed the wonderfully, LOL.  It would be great to see it come back. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, Ron Don said:

We had the pleasure of owning a horse on the Grandeur of the Seas back in the late 1990's.  The trip was shortly after we enjoyed a week in New Orleans just after Marti Gras so we appropriately named it Boudreaux's Bust or something like that (as I recall), dressed it up in New Orleans regalia and had a blast for the week.  Also as I recall, the horse was appropriately named, as it came in toward the end of the pack but was dressed the wonderfully, LOL.  It would be great to see it come back. 

Ken Rush are you reading these?

20 hours ago, Mawelch said:

Ken Rush are you reading these?

Speaking of Ken Rush - he was the cruise director on our very 1st RCCL cruise!  He set the bar for all of our Cruise directors. And he hosted the horse races!

1 minute ago, cruise wizard said:

Since we are going down memory lane...............I'd like to see the Cruise Director and their staff perform "If I Were Not Upon the Sea" routine at the farewell show. That was timeless and I would laugh so much that I would cry.

Mike S ... does that.

21 hours ago, SailingSal said:

Speaking of Ken Rush - he was the cruise director on our very 1st RCCL cruise!  He set the bar for all of our Cruise directors. And he hosted the horse races!

Ken is usually the sail out cruise director for most new RC ships. He is OK but sometimes he seems to full of himself to be a fun cruise director IMHO.