Standards

jaypo63

Hi,I just wanted to ask if any other long time cruisers with P&O feel their standards are dropping.I was always a huge supporter of them but the last two cruises we were on were really below par,food dreadful,lack of service(not waiters fault,just fewer of them) On dress nights,people blatantly getting served wearing track suits or shorts,just,dare I say,Butlins at sea.We cancelled a further three cruises with them & are now going to try Cunard,such a shame as we know the ships and proceedures to a tee but when you pay for a suite,you expect a little more for your money.

Anyone else found this?

• Like 1

Not sure which ship you were on, but we are just back from 19 nights on Aurora and I found the food to be very good.  Waiters were absolutely great.  So no, don't agree.  But I guess if you were on one of the huge ones, then maybe it's different.

Standards of most of the major mass market cruise lines have dropped as well as the prices in recent years. It all depends on how long you have been cruising for, many long serving Cunard cruisers equally moan about the lowering of standards but so has the price and I am afraid you cannot expect the same standards and lower prices one or the other has to give. End of the day comparing to prices of when we first started cruising with Cunard in 1997 and P&O in 2000 it is by far greater value for money now even though standards have dropped.

• Like 1

There has nobody been  more critical of P&O than me but recently returned from Britannia which was booked nearly 2yrs ago and wasnt looking forward to it but the cruise was excellent. Our 3rd time on Britannia, including Maiden, and we found no dropping of standard in food, entertainment or attitude of the staff which was excellent.

24 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Hi,I just wanted to ask if any other long time cruisers with P&O feel their standards are dropping.I was always a huge supporter of them but the last two cruises we were on were really below par,food dreadful,lack of service(not waiters fault,just fewer of them) On dress nights,people blatantly getting served wearing track suits or shorts,just,dare I say,Butlins at sea.We cancelled a further three cruises with them & are now going to try Cunard,such a shame as we know the ships and proceedures to a tee but when you pay for a suite,you expect a little more for your money.

Anyone else found this?

I suspect you'll get a pretty negative reaction to this on this forum.  Let's just wait an see though.

I have to say that whilst I know exactly what you're saying, I found the food on Azura recently to be very good (including the MDRs) and had no problems with the service. No issues with what people were wearing on formal nights either - all pretty much as required.

The problems we had were with the suite itself and the failure to provide advertised services (TV channels) across the ship.

Butlins? It's a common complaint. It depends what you're expecting.

I'd put your tin hat on if I were you...........😉

In short yes the standards have dropped and lots of corners have been gradually cut over the years (along with the prices).

The service on our last cruise (Britannia) was so bad we ended up speaking to the restaurant manager having spoken with section managers first.  Not enough staff and some poorly trained. 

The biggest problem is that the standards vary so widely across the fleet and even on the same ship if the staff change. MajorTom10 above enjoyed Britannia yet we had dreadful service (confirmed by others on this board who were on the same cruise). We have however had some lovely holidays, particularly on the smaller ships and previously on Britannia.

We now find that we always pay extra to upgrade the experience by using the speciality restaurants a lot, they are usually excellent. Unfortunately the entertainment is what it is and other than Limelight you can’t change that. Fellow passengers are just the luck of the draw.

Have you been on Cunard before? They have dropped the ball a bit as well, it seems all the mainstream cruise lines are competing for market space. Grills (suite class) on Cunard does not offer what it once did but Princess and Queens grill is defiantly an improvement on the P&O MRD but at a cost when booking and also once onboard. It offers a bit more elegance overall.

Happy sailing wherever you end up.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am always suspicious when someone has only ever posted 3 times since joining in 2014, and 2 of those posts relate to declining standards; but I accept I am a cynic.

Very observant terriorjohn.

'Times they are a changing' as Dylan said.

'Everything changes but you' as Barlow said...

In an increasingly competitive market, if prices need to drop then so will standards...

We still find P&O standards suit us, service has always been great, food good, some entertainment good but the biscuits are of lesser quality...

As often said, if you don't like it, pay the extra and go to a more exclusive line.

In general, as with anything in life you get what you pay for.

Andy

Standards, however you define that, have fallen on almost all cruise lines along with prices - it's an economic inevitability.

Bu then standards in hotels have fallen too - again along with prices. I used to like the old Trust Houses Forte hotels before the Forte group was acquired and wrecked by Granada, but purists would have argued, I'm sure, that Trust Houses were never the same after Forte took over.

Premier Inn and Holiday Inn suit me fine now - not the same standards at all, but much cheaper and entirely acceptable.  P&O's much the same thing. You get what you pay for.

If any long term cruisers have the time and inclination I think it would be interesting if they could put the cost of a cruise from the "golden age" into here

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

And compare to what we pay now. I suspect the results will be hair-raising!

I was reading on the Cunard board that a bottle of wine that was £25 on Brittania was $62 on Cunard (both prices before Peninsula discount and Cunard "service charge"). You get what you pay for indeed...

Food varies from ship to ship as the crews and executive chefs change. On our Britannia cruise (maiden Caribbean season) we expected to be blown away by the food and were disappointed overall. On our last cruise, on Aurora, the food was generally very good and some meals were outstanding. We weren't impressed by the service on Britannia - whilst our steward was very chatty and sociable, his cleaning left a lot to be desired and our waiters were very aloof, even though we tried to be friendly. This was why on our last cruise we went for Freedom dining. Our steward was very quiet, we hardly saw him, but he kept the cabin immaculate. On our first P&O cruise on Aurora the entertainment was very poor, on our Britannia cruise it was great. We just accept that nothing is ever going to be perfect and go with the flow. We're lucky we can cruise at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

If any long term cruisers have the time and inclination I think it would be interesting if they could put the cost of a cruise from the "golden age" into here

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

And compare to what we pay now. I suspect the results will be hair-raising!

I was reading on the Cunard board that a bottle of wine that was £25 on Brittania was $62 on Cunard (both prices before Peninsula discount and Cunard "service charge"). You get what you pay for indeed...

I actually have receipts for some of our older cruises and we did a cruise on the same ship, same itinerary, same time of year, same cabin grade and it was (give or take a few pounds) the same price as it had been many years earlier. So yes we know for a fact that prices on P&O have not risen with inflation.

Consequently we can’t (and don’t) expect to find all the touches included that used  to be there and expect to pay more once onboard to add some of them back in to our cruise experience.

Do not think it is fair to compare cruises taken recently as those taken many years ago because cruising in general has changed in price and standards so much. You will always get newcomers saying there first cruise was fantastic whether it be recently or years ago. If the recent cruisers were told the changes of P&O, and many cruise lines, in the last 20 yrs they would then see the difference but also taking into account the value for money cruises are today. Me personally even though P&O cruises were in comparison taking into account inflation and cost increases a lot dearer 20yrs ago I would prefer to pay extra than what they are now and go back to those standards. But like everything things change and there are many cruisers who are recent cruisers happy with what they get now food and price wise because they dont know any difference. Equally I am sure if you looked far enough and with your intention of "bulling up" the cruise line or not you can find first time cruisers who have differing views and very disappointed with the whole experience and expected better and say they will never cruise again.

Edited by majortom10

I would say straight out that we prefer Celebrity to P&O but it comes at a price now with exchange rates etc, especially for fly cruises. On board spend seems to be a lot more on Celebrity but I think that Celebrity are just a notch above P&O for most aspects of the cruise, especially service.

So we now cruise P&O (our next 4 cruises are with P&O) as it enables us to cruise twice a year and we are more than happy with the quality that we get. I would also say that Britannia is our favourite ship in the fleet, mainly because it has a lot more options in the evenings for dining and entertainment. We have sailed twice before on Britannia and have enjoyed both, the food and entertainment have both been good. The only negative with P&O seems to come if you get a problem, as their Customer Service is not best, but that apart I am sure you will enjoy Britannia. Incidentally, we are going the 22 day Caribbean TA on Britannia his year. 

Edited by bee-ess

On 6/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Very observant terriorjohn.

Why  are you suspicious? I was only looking for opinions,I’ve done many many reviews,just don’t come on the forum very often but ,busy lady is all,we’re sad to say goodbye to P&O but it’s gone downhill,so trying Cunard from now on.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, terrierjohn said:

I am always suspicious when someone has only ever posted 3 times since joining in 2014, and 2 of those posts relate to declining standards; but I accept I am a cynic.

26 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Why  are you suspicious? I was only looking for opinions,I’ve done many many reviews,just don’t come on the forum very often but ,busy lady is all,we’re sad to say goodbye to P&O but it’s gone downhill,so trying Cunard from now on.

Personally I’m not - I am just  not as observant as Terriorjohn which is all I commented.on. 

I will say however that as you don’t come on the boards often you will not be aware that there have been occasions of posters coming on only once or twice to absolutely slate P&O or generally cause disruption and then they disappear again.

You however asked a reasonable question and you will note that I gave you an answer to it above at #7

37 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Best of luck with Cunard, it would not be my first choice as an alternative to P&O, and we would need to reduce our cruising if we had to pay Cunard fares and on board prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I’m not - I am just  not as observant as Terriorjohn which is all I commented.on. 

I will say however that as you don’t come on the boards often you will not be aware that there have been occasions of posters coming on only once or twice to absolutely slate P&O or generally cause disruption and then they disappear again.

You however asked a reasonable question and you will note that I gave you an answer to it above at #7

Thank you much appreciated xx

being lucky enough to go into suites,we used to get free room service etc but this is no more,it’s just things disappearing & P& O thinking people won’t notice but we have. I love the staff no issues there but on Cunard being in a suite you can have Queens restaurant menu in your room if you wish,unlike P&O where we got some burnt pizza and a soggy veggie burger.Anyway thank you so much for your reply,will try Cunard,May not be to my liking but fingers crossed,happy cruising everyone 

21 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

being lucky enough to go into suites,we used to get free room service etc but this is no more,it’s just things disappearing & P& O thinking people won’t notice but we have. I love the staff no issues there but on Cunard being in a suite you can have Queens restaurant menu in your room if you wish,unlike P&O where we got some burnt pizza and a soggy veggie burger.Anyway thank you so much for your reply,will try Cunard,May not be to my liking but fingers crossed,happy cruising everyone 

Yes, that why we don’t book suites on P&O s the perks are so minimal compared to other lines. A balcony does us there on pando.

On Cunard you get a private bar / seating area for drinks and afternoon tea which is really nice. After the first night in Queens there is also much extended al la carte menu you can discuss with the Maitre D at lunchtime.

In the cabin there are some nice little extras eg a complimentary bar set with spirits and mixers of your choice, priority tender tickets, personalised headed paper etc etc

Before you book Cunard perhaps also take a look at the Celebrity suite class, it might be another alternative for you. 

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes, that why we don’t book suites on P&O s the perks are so minimal compared to other lines. A balcony does us there on pando.

On Cunard you get a private bar / seating area for drinks and afternoon tea which is really nice. After the first night in Queens there is also much extended al la carte menu you can discuss with the Maitre D at lunchtime.

In the cabin there are some nice little extras eg a complimentary bar set with spirits and mixers of your choice, priority tender tickets, personalised headed paper etc etc

Before you book Cunard perhaps also take a look at the Celebrity suite class, it might be another alternative for you. 

Thank you,very kind of you for the information,we’ve only ever cruised with P&O on azura,Ventura & oceana,we have heard good things about celebrity but we are very specific about our dates,we go over Xmas & new year,so we’re quite limited,maybe the smaller P&O  ships are better?

39 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Sorry you are wrong, you talk about being in a suite on P&O. You can have the full breakfast/Lunch /Dinner menus from the MDR in your suite for free. Ask you butler.