Trump Administration Bans Recreational Travel to Cuba

hellofromme

It looks like the Armonia won't be traveling to Cuba from the US. any longer. I wonder when MSC will notify all of us that are booked for this cruise. We will just sit and wait for the official news and then make alternate cruise plans. We are scheduled to sail October 28,2019. We were fortunate to get  to Cuba last  month on the Armonia and loved it so much booked another cruise there.

There is an exemption if you have already paid for the trip.  I suspect that the cruise lines will still travel to Cuba for a short while.  How long is the big question for those who have already booked.

There is more than one visa type and this impacts People to People--- 

When we went to Cuba with NCL--we didn't use a ship tour...and there was another choice

under education etc.

Here are the options--It lost its formatting but you can see the various categories and the website link 

I understand that the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury ("OFAC") administers and enforces the Cuban Assets Control Regulations ("CACR"). I further understand that the CACR prohibits U.S. persons from engaging in travel transactions and from traveling to Cuba, unless they qualify for a general license. I have reviewed the CACR and/or OFAC's guidance on the travel restrictions. I, the undersigned, declare and certify that (a) I am subject to U.S. jurisdiction and (b) I qualify for a general license, as marked below. I further confirm that as a licensed traveler, I am obligated to retain all records relating to my travel to Cuba for a period of five years. I SELECT THE GENERAL LICENSE THAT AUTHORIZES MY TRAVEL: 515.561 Family Visit 515.562 Official business of U.S. or foreign Government, or intergovernmental organization 515.563 Journalistic activities 515.564 Professional research or meetings 515.565(a) Educational activities - for credit or in connection with degree 515.565(b) Educational exchanges - individual people-to-people 515.565(b) Educational exchanges – group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization 515.566 Religious activities 515.567(a) Amateur or semi-professional international sports federation competitions 515.567(b) Public performance, clinics, workshops, other competitions, and/or exhibitions 515.574 Support for the Cuban people 515.575 Humanitarian projects 515.576 Activities of private foundations or research/educational institutes 515.545(b)(1) Activities related to the exportation or importation of informational materials 515.565(b)(2) Activities in connection with the temporary sojourn of aircraft/vessels 515.533(d)(1) Activities related to Department of Commerce licensed or authorized exports 515.533(d)(2) Activities related to professional media & artistic productions 515.559(d) Activities related to the exportation of DOC-authorized medicines & medical supplies 515.570 Returning Cuban nationals OR I will not disembark the vessel while in Cuba to participate in any of the above referenced activities during this sailing I solemnly affirm under penalty of perjury that to the best of my knowledge, the foregoing is true and accurate. Please note that pursuant to changes in U.S. law certain direct financial transactions (i.e., credit card or cash) with restricted entities designated by the U.S. Government appearing on the Cuba Restricted List found at https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm are prohibited. We recommend that you review this website to familiarize yourself with these restrictions. 

Edited by Fogfog

13 minutes ago, mnocket said:

There is an exemption if you have already paid for the trip.  I suspect that the cruise lines will still travel to Cuba for a short while.  How long is the big question for those who have already booked.

My guess is until it is no longer profitable based on the number of paid bookings per sailing as of 6/4/19.  They will not be allowed to add any new bookings for US citizens, however, I wonder how it will work for foreign citizens booking to sail from the US.

2 hours ago, hellofromme said:

Yes.

Maybe cruise lines will replace Cuba with Haiti or Dominican Republic.     

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I know if the cruise is paid for in full people are grandfathered in. My question is since we are only under deposit for our October 28th sailing and can still cancel without penalty. When will we here from MSC on what Itinerary changes they will make so I can make an informed decision and possibly move over to the Seaside?

Posted on Carnival as well. Please use this thread to discuss today's news and limit posts to CRUISING.

**** No political posts please****

I'm sure there are forums out there to discuss politics.....

Thank you.

• Like 2

Group people-to-people educational travel — the broad category under which cruises from the US were also allowed to operate — is ending, too. However, this travel would be 'grandfathered' for consumers who have already made a transaction, such as buying a flight or reserving accommodation, by June 5.

It wasn't clear if that applies to cruise reservations. It may not matter.

Vessels ineligible for permits

The Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, in coordination with the Office of Foreign Assets Control, is amending Export Administration Regulations to make passenger and recreational vessels and private and corporate aircraft ineligible for a license exception and to establish a general policy of denial for license applications involving those vessels and aircraft.

This indicates cruise ships are 'effectively ineligible for the necessary permits from Treasury and OFAC to leave the US for Cuba,' according to Collin Laverty, president of Cuba Educational Travel.

'There is no language about an exception for cruise ships or a delay, meaning these go into effect tomorrow, June 5th, 2019, and immediately halt cruise travel,' Laverty told Seatrade Cruise News. 'I believe the cruise industry is scrambling to determine what do with cruise passengers in the coming day and if there’s a way to get permission for the ships to proceed as planned.'

From link above....I don't think so for cruise ships

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Group people-to-people educational travel — the broad category under which cruises from the US were also allowed to operate — is ending, too. However, this travel would be 'grandfathered' for consumers who have already made a transaction, such as buying a flight or reserving accommodation, by June 5.

It wasn't clear if that applies to cruise reservations. It may not matter.

Vessels ineligible for permits

The Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, in coordination with the Office of Foreign Assets Control, is amending Export Administration Regulations to make passenger and recreational vessels and private and corporate aircraft ineligible for a license exception and to establish a general policy of denial for license applications involving those vessels and aircraft.

This indicates cruise ships are 'effectively ineligible for the necessary permits from Treasury and OFAC to leave the US for Cuba,' according to Collin Laverty, president of Cuba Educational Travel.

'There is no language about an exception for cruise ships or a delay, meaning these go into effect tomorrow, June 5th, 2019, and immediately halt cruise travel,' Laverty told Seatrade Cruise News. 'I believe the cruise industry is scrambling to determine what do with cruise passengers in the coming day and if there’s a way to get permission for the ships to proceed as planned.'

From link above....I don't think so for cruise ships

Thanks. I hope they keep us updated. I don't see anything on MSC website even acknowledging it as of yet. I hate their website ....

Not to argue, but seems to me, no cruises may depart from a US port with the intent of stopping at a Cuban port.

Air is grandfathered, but cruise ships will be not allowed after today.

Edited by EngIceDave
Mistake
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sidari said:

One person in the UK on the cancelled Opera sailing in April 2020 has been offered the 14 night Preziosa sailing from Barbados including WiFi and Easy drink package.

Good trade. I'll take this deal over Cuba any day.

“Cruise ships as well as recreational and pleasure vessels are prohibited from departing the U.S. on temporary sojourn to Cuba effective tomorrow,” the Commerce Department said in a statement to The Associated Press.