travel agents can be the best way to book

We are scheduled to cruise on the Breakaway in Oct and as usually we used our very well informed agent to  book. We are a few days away from final payment date and we got a call from her yesterday. Here is what she suggested for us and saved us over $1000.00. She noticed a special for our sailing. We had never thought about doing NCL air. Well we are now flying from Tulsa on the day of sailing. We also got the  all 4 perks instead of just the two our old booking had, Instead of $550 person round trip, we a paying $100.00. Instead of $150 or more for a hotel in Miami we are paying $107 in Tulsa. Instead of paying for transfers in Mia from airport to ship, we are going through NCL. The only serious drawback in flying the day or sailing. But, as long as NCL is handling it we know we are protected. This a win/win for us which we would never have found on our own. So thanks to NCL for a good promo and thanks to our agent for being on top of what promos are offered. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

We are scheduled to cruise on the Breakaway in Oct and as usually we used our very well informed agent to  book. We are a few days away from final payment date and we got a call from her yesterday. Here is what she suggested for us and saved us over $1000.00. She noticed a special for our sailing. We had never thought about doing NCL air. Well we are now flying from Tulsa on the day of sailing. We also got the  all 4 perks instead of just the two our old booking had, Instead of $550 person round trip, we a paying $100.00. Instead of $150 or more for a hotel in Miami we are paying $107 in Tulsa. Instead of paying for transfers in Mia from airport to ship, we are going through NCL. The only serious drawback in flying the day or sailing. But, as long as NCL is handling it we know we are protected. This a win/win for us which we would never have found on our own. So thanks to NCL for a good promo and thanks to our agent for being on top of what promos are offered. 

WOW....good job with your TA.  

I like mine, too.  But, I mostly do my own planning on their on line site and then only use them for the booking.  Any changes, I do myself and let them know.  In return, they give me a chunk of the agent’s commission as OBC.  

But, that means I have to do all the leg work to sniff out the deals, flight and hotel arrangements.

Congrats!

Only my Disney travel agent does this kind of thing (for Disney vacations). I have never had a cruise travel agent ever do anything for me. I use them only if the deal is better with something like OBC.

I have found that the pricing on one well known big box warehouse store's travel agency is almost always higher that what I get direct. We just booked a cruise through NCL after checking that TA. They didn't even list the sail away rate I found on line. Another large TA we've used didn't offer benefits that overcame their modest booking fee ($25). Every now and then I get a price lower on that TA.

But service after the sale? Never had it happen. Every one of my small independent TAs has been a huge disappointment.

1 minute ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Travel agents should never charge the customer a fee.

The only fee I paid to my TA was for booking the flights, there was no fee for the cruise booking.  The one I used for my recent cruise apparently doesn't book many NCL cruises, there were no "perks" added like OBC or a discounted fare.

We travel a lot and gave up on TA's many years ago.  Mine just couldn't find the deals we found on line.  Friends asked us to go on this cruise and they wanted to use a travel agent, so we did the same and booked all together.  I was letting the TA know about details she had no clue about, like booking meals and shows before hand.  In fact, I sent out an email about an itinerary change to everyone, a week later our travel agent let us know.  LOL  However, she did sent us a nice folder with all the paperwork in it.

Sounds like you have a good one!  Keepers.

17 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Travel agents should never charge the customer a fee.

To be fair if the TA is not paid a commission on the sale or salaried -

that is doing business for free and does not set well for that agent to stay in business.

Charging a fee is fair game.

My TA charges a flat $25 fee for the transaction no matter if it is an Inside or Haven cabin

and I might add complete representation from the point of sale to disembarking.

One other thing to note - the TA has a direct line to NCL to talk to a seasoned representative

who will unlike newbe telephone agents knows what changes additions can be made to the

cruise contract without hassle.

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Our travel agent doesn't do any of this. I think we need a new one!  I find the deals before she does!  Glad you got a great deal.

We do feel very lucky and yes, the problem with TAs can be their lack of knowledge or they just don't care. That being said, it is great to have one that takes their job seriously isn't just an order taker. Our agent does charge a $20 fee but it is worth it to us. She also always gives us a gift like an OBC or a meal. One time she sent us a meal to be delivered to us the day before we were cruising. One time a specialty dining coupon on the ship and sometimes she sends us a "gift box" with all kinds of fun beach stuff like flip flops,, maybe sun screen. sometime min booze bottled to have a drink in the hotel prior to sailing: whatever but it is always something fun. 

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

And they can be the worst way to book as well.  In your case it worked put to use a TA, good for you, you did well indeed.  In many cases it is not worth the hassle.

4 hours ago, fshagan said:

Only my Disney travel agent does this kind of thing (for Disney vacations). I have never had a cruise travel agent ever do anything for me. I use them only if the deal is better with something like OBC.

I have found that the pricing on one well known big box warehouse store's travel agency is almost always higher that what I get direct. We just booked a cruise through NCL after checking that TA. They didn't even list the sail away rate I found on line. Another large TA we've used didn't offer benefits that overcame their modest booking fee ($25). Every now and then I get a price lower on that TA.

But service after the sale? Never had it happen. Every one of my small independent TAs has been a huge disappointment.

Just as an FYI - if it's the warehouse store I'm thinking of their website doesn't always show every fare - usually it's the GTY fares you don't see. Another example is if the cruise is one of their Buyer's Choice - on the website they usually only show the rates/cabins available in their group. But if you call they have access to everything that's available. And honestly if you have a rewards # with the cruiseline you're trying to book I think it's easier over the phone!

You're right that they won't watch for better deals, but in my experience of 2 cruises on 2 different lines they get things sorted with the cruiselines quick if there's a problem or a price/perk change. 

18 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Just as an FYI - if it's the warehouse store I'm thinking of their website doesn't always show every fare - usually it's the GTY fares you don't see. Another example is if the cruise is one of their Buyer's Choice - on the website they usually only show the rates/cabins available in their group. But if you call they have access to everything that's available. And honestly if you have a rewards # with the cruiseline you're trying to book I think it's easier over the phone!

You're right that they won't watch for better deals, but in my experience of 2 cruises on 2 different lines they get things sorted with the cruiselines quick if there's a problem or a price/perk change. 

I am mainly thinking of independent agents that own their own franchise. I do not expect the good service from a big box store or an on line company that are nothing but order takers. Yes, there are many of those out there and rarely do they do a really outstanding job. I might add, I am an experienced traveler, am done bookings both ways, retired from the travel and hospitality industry and know many agents are not worth the phone call, but find a good one and you will be a supporter for life. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I am mainly thinking of independent agents that own their own franchise. I do not expect the good service from a big box store or an on line company that are nothing but order takers. Yes, there are many of those out there and rarely do they do a really outstanding job. I might add, I am an experienced traveler, am done bookings both ways, retired from the travel and hospitality industry and know many agents are not worth the phone call, but find a good one and you will be a supporter for life. 

Yes, I would love to find one to stick with! Especially since I'm flexible with when I can take time off, as a solo traveler I'm much more looking for good solo deals vs specific dates. Alas, I don't know anyone with one to recommend and the one I tried was no better than the big box except I had to wait for her to get back to me whereas I can talk to anyone with the big box. But it mostly works because I'm experienced with cruises - the vast majority of the time I just want the best deal and only talk to the TA after booking if there's a problem. 

None of the big box TAs are good if you need hand holding - whether it's from a warehouse or an OTA. 

Edited by smplybcause

36 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Yes, I would love to find one to stick with! Especially since I'm flexible with when I can take time off, as a solo traveler I'm much more looking for good solo deals vs specific dates. Alas, I don't know anyone with one to recommend and the one I tried was no better than the big box except I had to wait for her to get back to me whereas I can talk to anyone with the big box. But it mostly works because I'm experienced with cruises - the vast majority of the time I just want the best deal and only talk to the TA after booking if there's a problem. 

None of the big box TAs are good if you need hand holding - whether it's from a warehouse or an OTA. 

I would gladly give you my gals name but it isn't allowed on CC and for a very good reason. If you can private message me or email me I would gladly send you her information,

1 hour ago, zanzibargirl said:

There is one online agency that I find consistently offers perks (OBC, Pre-paid grats, etc) that make it worthwhile - even if I am a Canadian buying in USD! I still come out ahead! 

Can you message me what online agency you use?  I am from Canada and am looking at better booking options as I am not overly happy with my current TA.

I am in Canada and I use a big box warehouse store with the red and blue lettering which requires a membership. Prices are generally the same as the NCL website BUT they always offer a rebate in the form of a gift card, which is a net savings, if you were going to spend the money at that store to buy food, or other essentials anyway.

Sometimes they also offer better free at sea offers than NCL too, like once on the Escape I got:

- Ultimate Beverage

- 10 free photos

- Some internet minutes

- Some free stateroom to shore minutes

- On board credit

For the same price as NCL, plus their rebate cash card on top of that. It was a good deal! There may be better deals out there, but it was no-hassle and easy to book and you can do it by phone if you're not an internet person.

1 hour ago, dmbcanada said:

Can you message me what online agency you use?  I am from Canada and am looking at better booking options as I am not overly happy with my current TA.

I can't seem to send messages! Can we name the agency? It has 6 letters, and begins with C...:) 

Such an interesting topic...! 🙂 

Although I book our hotel and airline reservations myself, I've always used a TA for our cruise bookings.  (I think we started cruising before there was the ability to book directly with NCL online.)  My TA works at a small, independent agency (she is not the owner) and is very good.  If she doesn't know an answer, indeed, she's on the phone with NCL almost before I finish asking my questions.  She doesn't charge me a commission on the cruise booking (though her agency does ask her to charge for hotel/air reservations--which she says she hates doing for her long time customers.)  She knows that I understand that they used to get a commission from the hotels/airlines, but that no longer happens.  She'll check into such things for me...but then I do my own booking.

I've been with her for about 10 years and the biggest thing I've found is that she's very responsive to every inquiry I have--regardless of whether I go through with the trip.  And once a trip is booked, although she's not great at letting me know about a price drop, if there is one--I just let her know and she makes the change for me with no questions asked.

The one area where she is stellar is when there is a problem--like "a dog with a bone."  She won't let go of the issue until it's resolved.  Luckily, I only had one time where they was a major problem--and she triumphed...a cruise was cancelled and although we got the full cruise deposit refunded, the insurance company didn't want to refund the insurance money.  She went to bat for us and got the refund.

I really like working with my TA...and have made referrals to her and to the agency.  I don't know how much they've made on commissions with my trips and those that my referrals brought to them, but the actual bookings have given them well over $75k of business over the years.

Reading through all of the comments here, though, I'm starting to wonder if we're missing out on perks.  We typically book the Haven level suites (and always have), so we get all of the specific NCL perks associated with that...but we've never actually gotten anything from our TA or the agency.  No, I don't need another tote bag, pen, luggage tag, etc....but wow, reading through all of the comments here, I realize that it sure would be nice to get a bottle of wine, some sort of onboard credit, or something--particularly when our next cruise booking is well over $10k.  

I don't plan to leave my TA...and I don't wanna be rude...but does anyone have any suggestions of how to politely "suggest" such ideas to them...? 

I agree that a good TA can be very valuable.  Just bear in mind that it is not unusual to find a post complaining loudly that NCL will not talk to them to resolve some matter because a TA owns their reservation 

15 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

The only serious drawback in flying the day or sailing. But, as long as NCL is handling it we know we are protected. 

Are you really protected? I was under the impression that if you don’t have insurance you’re out of luck if you’re flight doesn’t get there on time.

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Are you really protected? I was under the impression that if you don’t have insurance you’re out of luck if you’re flight doesn’t get there on time.

My understanding is we are protected. If, for some reason like weather related I am not sure, but we do have insurance anyway. We never travel without it. Of course if we miss the plane because of our own doing it would be different. 

I've never had a good experience with a TA, ever. If you've traveled enough and enjoy scouring the internet to compare prices and deals and lay out all the different options in a spreadsheet yourself, you don't need one. Yes, they can save you time or help the less informed or less tech savvy travelers, but I'm still not convinced I will ever use one again.

Our family was planning a Disney vacation a few years back (8 adults total, 2 kids). TA gave my mom a quote of over 10K for 3 nights. I ended up booking it myself for all of us for half that. Same thing when she went to a TA to get a quote for our next family trip 2 year ago to the Bahamas. TA quoted her almost 15K - I booked all of us into the Tower rooms at Atlantis for half that. (She's since stopped using a TA and just tells me where she wants to go...)

Hubby and I went to the UK a few years back, so we used a TA to assist with all the flights between Ireland, Scotland and London. I did most of the work for them. She kept putting us on crappy flights where we would have spent hours waiting to fly into Heathrow for almost $300, I got us flights for $100 flying into Luton that had us sitting in our hotel drinking wine before noon. And don't even get me started on the hotels she kept trying to push us to use.... Or the blatant lies regarding the cost of our car rental....

So yeah.... I'll stick with being a nerdy wannabe part-time TA myself with my spreadsheets and tables and do the grunt work myself, since I end up doing it anyway.

• Like 2