First time cruisers choosing cabins- input appreciated

Hello. We are booking our first ever cruise on the Oasis for a 2020 sailing. 

We are looking to get two balcony rooms side by side (no connecting rooms available apparently). Our choices are 6578 & 6570 and 9578 & 9570, near the forward starboard elevators. 

I'd appreciate any insight into these cabins. I am prone to seasickness, so we were thinking Deck 6 might be better, but not sure if three decks higher would make that much of a difference. 

Thank you for any input. 

2 hours ago, Murex said:

We are looking to get two balcony rooms side by side (no connecting rooms available apparently). Our choices are 6578 & 6570 and 9578 & 9570, near the forward starboard elevators. 

I'd appreciate any insight into these cabins. I am prone to seasickness, so we were thinking Deck 6 might be better, but not sure if three decks higher would make that much of a difference. 

Thank you for any input. 

are those cabins a typo?

or did you mean 6578 & 6580 and the same on deck 9?  they're 5 cabins apart if not according to the deckplans

4 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

are those cabins a typo?

or did you mean 6578 & 6580 and the same on deck 9?  they're 5 cabins apart if not according to the deckplans

Yes, a typo! Thank you. 🙂   

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

I would go with deck 6, that is our preferred deck on that class of ship.

Curious why you prefer Deck 6, if you don't mind my asking. We are still learning! 

I am not sure the setup of the ship you are going on, but DH and I also prefer the 6th floor. On the ships we have been on its 1 floor up from Promenade deck for coffee, snacks, bars/activities. We get a room that is close to the elevators/stairs towards the back of the ship.  Easy down to 5th where we spend alot of our time and easy up to Windjammer/pool area. Its an ideal spot for us to be centrally located but isolated from noise and commotion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bballmomma said:

I am not sure the setup of the ship you are going on, but DH and I also prefer the 6th floor. On the ships we have been on its 1 floor up from Promenade deck for coffee, snacks, bars/activities. We get a room that is close to the elevators/stairs towards the back of the ship.  Easy down to 5th where we spend alot of our time and easy up to Windjammer/pool area. Its an ideal spot for us to be centrally located but isolated from noise and commotion.

Thank you. I appreciate the insight. I am finding that actually booking the cruise and choosing cabins is a little overwhelming.  So much to learn!

19 minutes ago, Murex said:

Thank you. I appreciate the insight. I am finding that actually booking the cruise and choosing cabins is a little overwhelming.  So much to learn!

That is the easy part.  Wait until you try to figure out your schedule to book your shows.  Oasis class is one where you need to book shows.  We always get the comedy show booked booked first, and work the other shows around it. 

We we have been on deck 6 and 12 on these ships, and didn’t notice much motion.  Of course, we were midship, and had calm seas. 

Enjoy your planning. 

I have vertigo issues on land lol so cruising can be enjoyable if the weather and the seas cooperate.  I always book Decks 6-8 and midship only!  Midship by the AFT elevators works best for me.  My next cruise, first on Oasis, is Deck 8 on the hump in Junior Suite (first one) by the SFT elevators.  Decks 6&8 have access to open areas that also help with seasickness.  We also always get a balcony so I can see the horizon and get fresh air.  I always take Bonine (start the day before) and I also get an RX for nausea just in case.  I use to do the patches, but Bonine worked the best on my last cruise.  I also drink Ginger Ale and have a couple green apples in my cabin just in case.  The biggest thing is midship and decks 6-8 and Bonine.  If you can get cabins closer to Midship or AFT elevators that would be better than too far forward.  Forward you will feel more motion.

18 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is the easy part.  Wait until you try to figure out your schedule to book your shows.  Oasis class is one where you need to book shows.  We always get the comedy show booked booked first, and work the other shows around it. 

We we have been on deck 6 and 12 on these ships, and didn’t notice much motion.  Of course, we were midship, and had calm seas. 

Enjoy your planning. 

Oh boy. I've been wondering about getting everything scheduled! I guess one step at a time. 🙂   

Here's my advice for first time cruisers, be it you're entirely a new to cruises or just your first time booking with a particular line, DON"T book on your own. Go to or call either a CLIA certified travel professional or the cruise line themselves for a Personal Vacation Planner (PVP), more or less anyone that you can talk real time with that has been specially trained about cruising. There's no additional fees or commissions you would be required to pay and many times these real people have access to cabins or pricing specials not shown at online booking engines (including the one at the cruise line's website). 

As for your seasickness on any ocean going vessel the closer you are to the water and the more towards the center of the midship you can be will be the area with less perceived motion. Think of a ship as a multistoried teeter-totter, the closer you are to the bar that provides the see-saw and pivot action the less you move on the apparatus. Passenger decks on a cruise liner are never below the waterline, which sort of act as your "bar" since that is what provides the up/down and pitch/roll action. So in actuality a interior cabin centermost on the lowest deck is where those with a true inner-ear imbalance derived seasickness should start their search for a cabin. For those with seasickness caused by the visual disconnection of the eyes not seeing movement but the body feeling the passage, a balcony at the lowest deck they are offer and midship should be where they look, as gazing at the slowly moving horizon often helps relieve the more mild symptoms.

Secondly until you cruised one of these ships you will not know at what point (deck or section) on board will trigger your seasickness as almost all modern ships that support a passenger capacity of over 2,600 passengers tend to have stabilizers that help prevent sudden movement of the ship caused by waves (usually under 8 feet) or wind (30 knots or less), that would be experienced on regular passenger or sport boats or ferries. 

1 hour ago, Murex said:

Curious why you prefer Deck 6, if you don't mind my asking. We are still learning! 

48 minutes ago, Murex said:

We get a cabin on deck 6 for the reason bballmomma lists.  We also prefer to be by the aft elevators but would pick deck 6 either way.  It is one deck down to Royal Promenade, same deck as the Boardwalk where we enjoy free breakfast at Johnny Rockets (it is a fee otherwise), two decks down to theater and dining room or two up to Central Park.  We find we use the elevators less if we are on deck 6 as we can easily go up and down a couple of decks on the stairs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murex said:

Thank you for any input. 

We have over 40 nights on Oasis Class ships, always deck 12 on or near the forward hump, I can not ever remember feeling any movement.  Most of those nights were open seas on a transatlantic.  We pick deck 12 as it has about 100 fewer cabins in the front. I have slight motion sickness on rollercoasters but have never felt anything on a Oasis Class ship. I do get slight sea sickness taking the Catalina flyer to Catalina.  happy cruising

5 minutes ago, maryred said:

So in actuality a interior cabin centermost on the lowest deck is where those with a true inner-ear imbalance derived seasickness should start their search for a cabin. 

So true and for over forty years has been my preferred cabin choice and location.  We are not prone to seasickness, but when a ship is pitching, rolling,  and experiencing yaw, there will be an amazing difference in motion  felt in that location versus higher decks or forward or aft.

FYI: Stabilizers only can do so much for the rolling (side to side motion). They can't totally compensate for roll  in all conditions and they do nothing for pitching or yaw.

Only 35 cruises to date but have always been advised to boom MID SHIP if you may have motion issues.  Friend who spent 30 plus years in Canadian Navy was first to advise.  Has always worked for me.  I too prefer deck 10 or higher on Oasis class ships.

Actually booked deck 9 on Harmony for November cruise.

5 hours ago, Murex said:

Curious why you prefer Deck 6, if you don't mind sharing. We are still learning! 

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We get a cabin on deck 6 for the reason bballmomma lists.  We also prefer to be by the aft elevators but would pick deck 6 either way.  It is one deck down to Royal Promenade, same deck as the Boardwalk where we enjoy free breakfast at Johnny Rockets (it is a fee otherwise), two decks down to theater and dining room or two up to Central Park.  We find we use the elevators less if we are on deck 6 as we can easily go up and down a couple of decks on the stairs.

Ditto this.  Great location.

• Like 1