Best ship for activities

Lbicklel

Hi all. I’m new to this board but not new to cruising. I’ve taken several Disney cruises and one Norwegian with another Norwegian on the books. However I have a unique situation and I need to figure out what ship might offer the most. I don’t have any real care about destination or cruise line.

I have a young adult son who has Down Syndrome. He is begging me to take him on another cruise. However his memories are from a Disney cruise when he was young enough to go into the kids clubs and had an absolute blast. Of course now that he’s in his 20s the kids clubs will not be available to him. 

So what ship has the most activities that a child/teenager would like that aren’t part of the kids clubs? I know every ship has one or two cool things but what ship has the most to offer to keep somebody busy who has no interest in sitting on the Lido deck with an alcoholic beverage and a book? (My preferred way to spend a day!). He also doesn’t do crowds well so probably wouldn’t be a lot of pool time. He won’t be interested in comedy clubs and things like that. He does enjoy the main shows but still need to find activities for all day long. I can keep myself busy with various seminars, tours, spa, etc., etc. But none of those things interest him. I basically need to entertain somebody with the interests of an average 12 to 15-year-old without use of kids clubs or pools.

Thanks!

Royal Caribbean's Oasis class and newer, and AMPED older ships like Navigator and Independence. Depending on the ship: Rock climbing, ice skating, boogie boarding (surf simulator), carousel, fun shows (not comedy). We had a blast on both Independence when DS was 3 and on the Allure this year (he is now 8)*.

NCL's Getaway/Breakaway have a nice ropes course, water slides and rock climbing wall, which would be great for your son, but your kid already outgrew the trampoline and spider net by height and weight. Other new NCL ships also have fun things to do, like go karting, rock climbing...

New Carnival ships will have fun activities like water slides as well, but we've never been on Carnival.

*Our kid doesn't do kid's club either, even though he is 8. Don't go on Princess, Celebrity and HAL. They usually have no activities.

I would definitely look at Royal first and only then other ships. If you go outside of school breaks, you will find fares to be more reasonable, and fewer kids (who take up all of the water slides...). Like before the kid was in school, we went during the first 2 weeks of December.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

Hi all. I’m new to this board but not new to cruising. I’ve taken several Disney cruises and one Norwegian with another Norwegian on the books. However I have a unique situation and I need to figure out what ship might offer the most. I don’t have any real care about destination or cruise line.

I have a young adult son who has Down Syndrome. He is begging me to take him on another cruise. However his memories are from a Disney cruise when he was young enough to go into the kids clubs and had an absolute blast. Of course now that he’s in his 20s the kids clubs will not be available to him. 

So what ship has the most activities that a child/teenager would like that aren’t part of the kids clubs? I know every ship has one or two cool things but what ship has the most to offer to keep somebody busy who has no interest in sitting on the Lido deck with an alcoholic beverage and a book? (My preferred way to spend a day!). He also doesn’t do crowds well so probably wouldn’t be a lot of pool time. He won’t be interested in comedy clubs and things like that. He does enjoy the main shows but still need to find activities for all day long. I can keep myself busy with various seminars, tours, spa, etc., etc. But none of those things interest him. I basically need to entertain somebody with the interests of an average 12 to 15-year-old without use of kids clubs or pools.

Thanks!

While the clubs will not be available to him on DCL as an attendee, he (and you) can attend the open houses in the kid's clubs daily.  

Another vote for a RC Oasis class ship.  Aqua theater has wonderful diving and water shows and also ice shows in the ice rink.  These shows are unique to RC and really good. Others have mentioned Flow rider surfing, rock climbing, ice skating, but if he is not able to participate there are “tamer” less athletic things like mini golf, ping pong, shuffle board; also full-size sports court where you can play basketball, soccer, etc.  if athletics are not his thing, trivia, parades, even simple classes like napkin folding, and a carousel to ride. I don’t think you can go wrong wit Oasis class ships. 

• Like 1