LIVE - VISION Med and Greek Isles - 6/11-23

13 hours ago, kernow said:

Interesting to see the 'Appropriate Attire' comment in the compass, are they actually enforcing it?

I have not yet seen anyone enter main /specialty dining room in shorts, but I haven’t really been looking. We just had a small dinner in the Windjammer last night though. I will let you know if I notice anything crazy. 

Working on my Malta pics now. 

Sailing into Malta is beautiful. We had to be up early for a tour, so we were also able to watch the ship back into port. 

IMG_4732-600x450.jpg

We booked our tour in Malta on our own through a private company (Online Malta). All of the private companies meet passengers in the same place at the end of the cruise terminal entrance next to a small jewelry store where the owner stands outside the entire time telling the women to come inside and he will help them “spend their husbands’ money.” Gag. 

Obviously I was thrilled when our tour guide, Antoinette, was actually a few minutes early so we could leave almost immediately. Originally, we were supposed to be with another couple (it was booked as a “small group tour”), but they cancelled last-minute so it was just us. Woo-hoo! Private tour. 

We drove to Mdina first to try to miss most of the tour bus trafffic. The majority of the ship’s tours start in Valleta. We arrived at the Mdina city gates first thing in the morning. 

IMG_4744-355x450.jpg

Antoinette was well-versed in her countries’ history and gave us so much information. She had stories and could point out facts for almost every building, church, and palace we would walk past. 

IMG_4752-338x450.jpg

IMG_4749-326x450.jpg

IMG_4755-340x450.jpg

IMG_4759-338x450.jpg

Here in Mdina we were able to view St. Paul’s Cathedral, and walk through several small churches and a convent/abbey. 

St. Paul’s

IMG_4761-338x450.jpg

More Mdina

IMG_4764-338x450.jpg

IMG_4777-338x450.jpg

• Like 2

We then made our way over to Valleta. It was still quite crowded when we got there, but we saw tour buses loading and passed several of them on our way. 

The Valleta City Gates have a much more modern look. 

IMG_4795-338x450.jpg

Walking into the city

IMG_4796-338x450.jpg

We made our way to the Upper Barrakah Gardens. If you take the lift from ground level from the port area (costs 1€ per person) you will end up here. 

IMG_4800-338x450.jpg

IMG_4812-338x450.jpg

There are great views of the harbor, port area, and the ships in port. 

IMG_4804-600x450.jpg

IMG_4809-600x450.jpg

After the gardens, we made our way to St. John’s Co-Cathedral. 

IMG_4816-338x450.jpg

IMG_4821-337x450.jpg

• Like 3

Vision docked in Malta

IMG_4844-345x450.jpg

Sail away was delayed by about an hour. We ended up having a light dinner in the Windjammer. Salad and a small dessert. After such a warm day, that was perfect. 

IMG_4851-338x450.jpg

IMG_4856-338x450.jpg

• Like 2

Crowded at the pool on our second sea day. Lots of towels on chairs, but also lots of people in the pool and hot tubs. So, not sure how many of those are “chair hogs.”

IMG_4884-338x450.jpg

The seas, though, are like glass. Beautiful. 

IMG_4886-338x450.jpg

We are watching the pool-side festivities from the air-conditioned comfort of the Viking Crown Lounge. 

IMG_4888-338x450.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Vision docked in Malta

IMG_4844-345x450.jpg

Sail away was delayed by about an hour. We ended up having a light dinner in the Windjammer. Salad and a small dessert. After such a warm day, that was perfect. 

IMG_4851-338x450.jpg

IMG_4856-338x450.jpg

Fantastic photo's,we love Malta and the photos make us feel as though we are back there again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Fantastic photo's,we love Malta and the photos make us feel as though we are back there again.

Thank you! This is our first time in all of these ports, so it’s almost like sensory overload. We are loving this cruise and there’s still so much left. 😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Thank you! This is our first time in all of these ports, so it’s almost like sensory overload. We are loving this cruise and there’s still so much left. 😊

There certainly is,this is why most of our cruises are around the Mediterranean and Adriatic seas.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Very much looking forward to seeing these ports through your eyes.  Love it when you end up getting a private tour.  👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Very much looking forward to seeing these ports through your eyes.  Love it when you end up getting a private tour.  👍

Me too! It’s like the cruise gods are smiling. Not too sure about our tour in Santorini tomorrow. The tour operator has not been very communicative. Will keep you guys posted. My fingers are crossed!

52 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I've been quietly following, but the color of the water in Malta took my breath away!

Mine too! It’s the contrast, right? The stone right next to that blue, blue water? And the photos don’t even do it justice.

I can see it now. I’m going to be showing my pictures to the folks back home and every single one it’s going to be, “And it looked even better in person!” Of course, that’s always the way. 

2 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Me too! It’s like the cruise gods are smiling. Not too sure about our tour in Santorini tomorrow. The tour operator has not been very communicative. Will keep you guys posted. My fingers are crossed!

Mine too! It’s the contrast, right? The stone right next to that blue, blue water? And the photos don’t even do it justice.

I can see it now. I’m going to be showing my pictures to the folks back home and every single one it’s going to be, “And it looked even better in person!” Of course, that’s always the way. 

Yes! Just like this photo of the old fort El Morro in San Juan against the water is one of my favorites.

image.thumb.png.05ede07815eedafd4470461dfd43eb9f.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Santorini is fantastic.

You have to tender in and cable car to the top.

Screenshot_20190614-161552.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Or share the walk up with the donkeys.

The donkeys look worn out and smelly plus the path up is dangerous.

The cost is €5 for the donkey ride but we always get the cable car up and back down which is €5 pp each way.

Edited by grapau27

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wouldn't know - I walked.

85°f in August so we took the cable car on a few visits instead.

You need to be early for the cable car otherwise the queues are massive.

Screenshot_20190614-195045.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:51 AM, RKHOOKER said:

I’m on VOTS doing the July 17 Med cruise.  I’m very interested in your reviews of not only the ship but the ports, & any tips that may help us! 

We are looking at doing our own tours in all ports except Livorno, where we’ll most likely book a tour.

We have booked the Key & the Deluxe drink package.  We’re getting really excited about our first RC & Med cruise even though we’ve done 4 cruises previously.  

Hopefully we can learn from your experience. Cheers! 🍻🥂

Hi RK, we will be on the same cruise with you. We are also super excited and so looking forward to this cruise. We will be celebrating our 35 wedding anniversary on this cruise. The only we have left to do is the packing. We booked private one on one tours in Athens and Rome and ships tours in the other ports of call. We will be in Barcelona 3 days prior to the cruise and have also booked some private tours.Flying business class from Seattle.

Well a couple of weeks ago (May 26th) I rode the mule down because the wait for the cable car was 1 1/2 hours...much harder it appeared than riding up...brutal !!!! Especially when someone behind me had a mule that was kicking. The mule leader stopped and dismounted to move the offending mule to the back of the pack...leaving his mule unattended....who once realizing it rook off running...pulling the rest of us along. It took a few minutes for the leader to run and catch up. So my near death experience on a runaway mule train (yes...I was thinking did my life insurance and travel insurance cover DEATH By MULE)......One of the craziest stories I've had to tell in my 25+ RCI cruises and 70 years of travel. What an EXPERIENCE :classic_ohmy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2