My biggest fear cruising

david_sobe

16 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Kind of get it, kind of don't.

I know there are many things that I don't care about when cruising with 3K-6K of my fellow passengers.  This is one of them....thinking that everyone on either side of the cabin is interested in hearing the music they force us to listen to.  I know I shouldn't.  But, I have a Bang and Olufsen blue tooth speaker I travel with which is very capable of drowning out any thing they might be using and certainly those BOSE blue tooth speakers that many use.  It only takes 15 minutes or so of me drowning out there music for the hint to make its mark.  Again, I shouldn't, but I do.

The other part is trying to understand the cultural differences that you'll encounter on ships with so many people who are from so many other places.  I know some folks who come from very crowded cities, especially when they're from cultures who tend to be louder than we're used to (my fellow North Americans), can be jarring.  I more or less just "rise to the level" they are speaking to communicate.  They think it's normal. I think I'm shouting.  But, it works.

When it comes to being in line for something, be it the Garden Buffet, going to a show, etc, some cultures seem to be more aggressive than others in marking their place in line.  This is true also of local folks who think they have the right to go and come as they please without losing their place in line (or making their space with towels in the pool or spa).  I find you have to "stand your ground".  If someone tries to cut, I kindly remind them I was there before them.  If there's a language barrier, I point to the back of the line.

If a towel has been sitting on a lounger for more than 30 minutes, I remove it and give it to an attendant.  If someone returns looking for it (which rarely happens), I point to the pool/spa attendants.

I'm not going to complain, as I know this is something that's a "bugaboo" with cruising (just like it is at Disney, or a large resort, etc).  I go with the flow.  Stand my ground, and go about my day.  But, I do run into this on every cruise, and every cruise line I've sailed.  And, it's more about different culture and personality types than anything else. 

You seem like a very balanced individual.  But I don't buy the cultural excuse here.  IMHO they engaged in noise pollution with not allowing passengers all around their cabin enjoy hearing glaciers and wild life.  They might as well be throwing garbage over the railing into the protected waters.  Same deal in my book.  Every culture teaches right from wrong and every culture has breakdowns in cultural norms in a small percentage of their population. Although I see this incident as more entitlement than a breakdown in cultural norms. And yes you see it on cruising all the time.  Speaking of the Garden Café, what about the people who cut in line for the ice cream machine.  You can clearly see 6  in line but there are always those who just grab a cone and march right to the front.  They are self centered and it does not even occur to them they did anything wrong.  Although to the majority and those in line, we scratch our heads how someone could do that.   My best friend drops his kid off at school every morning.  There is a long line of cars to move up to the front of the school.  The cars wait their turn.  Every morning there are several cars who just punch to the front of the line.  My best friend's child asks there dad, why do we wait like this because look at the other cars moving ahead.  The dad explains to their child every day the meaning of rules and behavior.  Sadly fewer and fewer people teach their kids the same values.  If you put ice cream down on the floor a pack of wild dogs will not form a line to eat the ice cream, they will come from every direction and not form a line.  Thank goodness we don't operate the same way.  In closing a personal story.  When I lived on the beach in a condo, there was someone from another country that lived next to me.  She would let her dog bark on the balcony all night until I said something.  Could I say it was "cultural" and accepted in her country to keep an animal confined to a balcony and bark all night?  Maybe.  But clearly even in her country people there need to sleep too.  I refuse to accept the "cultural" excuse.  On such a packed cruise ship, its even more important to be respectful of others in tight spaces.  The people in this cabin are just like the ice cream line cutters.  They have no concept what they did is wrong or how it impacts others around them.  Its rude behavior and needs to be addressed as such.

• Like 1

@david_sobe......I get what you’re saying.  It’s irritating, regardless of the cultural differences.

I do become irritated with the narcissistic behavior I see on the cruises I’ve taken.  Cutting line.  Being oblivious to those around us, etc.  Those things should be listed under common courtesy, regardless of culture.

I tend not to accept them.  But, I also keep reminding myself I’m on a cruise and there to relax.

For good or ill, I also avoid certain nationalities based on past experiences.  Profiling?  Probably.  Just don’t want to deal with their norms.

All of this is true whether on land or on a ship.  Those folks exist regardless of the venue.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@david_sobe......I get what you’re saying.  It’s irritating, regardless of the cultural differences.

I do become irritated with the narcissistic behavior I see on the cruises I’ve taken.  Cutting line.  Being oblivious to those around us, etc.  Those things should be listed under common courtesy, regardless of culture.

I tend not to accept them.  But, I also keep reminding myself I’m on a cruise and there to relax.

For good or ill, I also avoid certain nationalities based on past experiences.  Profiling?  Probably.  Just don’t want to deal with their norms.

All of this is true whether on land or on a ship.  Those folks exist regardless of the venue.

You have a great attitude and temperament.  I tell myself those same things.  However they don't work  :classic_blush:

Edited by david_sobe

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I disagree, slightly. 

For me, I avoid based on the behavior, not the nationality.

If (for ex.) I see a (insert nationality/ethnicity) on the port side and they are loud/rude/obnoxious and I see a (same nationality/ethnicity) on the starboard side and they are fine/pleasant/respectful, I'd go to the starboard side. I wouldn't avoid the starboard side thinking to myself "...they're probably bad, too..."

• Like 3

On 6/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, graphicguy said:

Kind of get it, kind of don't.

I know there are many things that I don't care about when cruising with 3K-6K of my fellow passengers.  This is one of them....thinking that everyone on either side of the cabin is interested in hearing the music they force us to listen to.  I know I shouldn't.  But, I have a Bang and Olufsen blue tooth speaker I travel with which is very capable of drowning out any thing they might be using and certainly those BOSE blue tooth speakers that many use.  It only takes 15 minutes or so of me drowning out there music for the hint to make its mark.  Again, I shouldn't, but I do.

The other part is trying to understand the cultural differences that you'll encounter on ships with so many people who are from so many other places.  I know some folks who come from very crowded cities, especially when they're from cultures who tend to be louder than we're used to (my fellow North Americans), can be jarring.  I more or less just "rise to the level" they are speaking to communicate.  They think it's normal. I think I'm shouting.  But, it works.

When it comes to being in line for something, be it the Garden Buffet, going to a show, etc, some cultures seem to be more aggressive than others in marking their place in line.  This is true also of local folks who think they have the right to go and come as they please without losing their place in line (or making their space with towels in the pool or spa).  I find you have to "stand your ground".  If someone tries to cut, I kindly remind them I was there before them.  If there's a language barrier, I point to the back of the line.

If a towel has been sitting on a lounger for more than 30 minutes, I remove it and give it to an attendant.  If someone returns looking for it (which rarely happens), I point to the pool/spa attendants.

I'm not going to complain, as I know this is something that's a "bugaboo" with cruising (just like it is at Disney, or a large resort, etc).  I go with the flow.  Stand my ground, and go about my day.  But, I do run into this on every cruise, and every cruise line I've sailed.  And, it's more about different culture and personality types than anything else. 

I couldn't give a rats backside about 'cultural differences'. When they are in Alaska they need to conform the the culture of the USA and STFU. 

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

When I have seen behavior like this in the past I have either just

walked on by and skipped what I was going to get, or once I did notify a

crew member that took care of it. I don't blame Don however for reacting the way he did.

The person touching the rolls is endangering the health of the other people on the cruise and that is deplorable.

Just call Security. It is what they are there for. No need to get stressed or hassled. If Security won't/can't fix the problem ask for a different cabin. If they won't give you a different cabin politely point out that they can read all about your adventures when you get off the ship and plaster it all over social media.

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

I couldn't give a rats backside about 'cultural differences'. When they are in Alaska they need to conform the the culture of the USA and STFU. 

There are dozens of different cultures in the USA.  Which one do you want them to conform to?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I disagree, slightly. 

If (for ex.) I see a (insert nationality/ethnicity) on the port side and they are loud/rude/obnoxious and I see a (same nationality/ethnicity) on the starboard side and they are fine/pleasant/respectful, I'd go to the starboard side. I wouldn't avoid the starboard side thinking to myself "...they're probably bad, too..."

Good points.  The only caveat, I seem to run into the nationality on a more consistent basis on board.  Could be, they’re just same rude people who coincidentally just so happen to be a certain nationality and that’s how I am equating them. 

Don,

Did you attempt to lean around the balcony divider and ask them to turn down the music and then file a compliant to guest services regarding the loud playing of music if they ignored you?

Edited by TiiiSailor

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I disagree, slightly. 

Thanks for speaking up on the fact that it’s worth it to take the extra few seconds to not be explicitly racist. 😕

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm gonna go out on a ledge and guess one of the white ones.

When I travel to a foreign country I am expected to conform to their culture. I'm not actually from the USA originally, and I have to alter my language and behaviour all the time to fit in here. It is a reasonable expectation. If you go to my original country you will be expected to conform, and if you don't you have a good chance of being held accountable socially, unless you insert yourself into an enclave of your national peers. When foreigners come to this country they should be respectful of local customs, observe the behaviour of those around them, and conform. If you look at a video of most Alaskan cruise ship passengers, they are older, white, middle class, and fairly reserved in their demeanor. That would be an excellent model for new visitors to emulate. If a visitor wants to behave as they would in their home country, I would suggest that they remain there.

It might help if cruise lines got together and developed a simple code of conduct. They have stopped smoking on balconies and they should prohibit loud music on them also. I have had the experience of loud noises from adjoining cabins and just complain to guest services until they address the issue. My #1 rule " remember you did not charter the ship!, be courteous to others"

5 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

If you look at a video of most Alaskan cruise ship passengers, they are older, white, middle class, and fairly reserved in their demeanor. That would be an excellent model for new visitors to emulate. If a visitor wants to behave as they would in their home country, I would suggest that they remain there.

I suppose we shall not see eye-to-eye on this one. I, too, am from another country and ended up in the US. I don't see America in 2019 as older, white, middle class. I see America in 2019 as incredibly diverse, with countless skin tones, languages, and cultures. I love this America.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

The dominant one would suffice. 

There is no dominant culture in America.  Each region has its own “dominant” culture I suppose (west coast, east coast, Texas, southeast, Midwest), but even with those, there are dozens of subcultures due to different demographics (inner city Atlanta has a different subculture than rural Alabama, for example).  

Alaska has a different culture than Hawaii as well.

• Like 5

There is a huge difference when staying in a land hotel with noisy obnoxious neighbors vs

on a cruise ship. It is usually just for a night or two in a hotel and if you really had to you could

leave and stay at a different place. On a ship you are "stuck" with the neighbors you have until

you disembark and the code of conduct should be HIGHER than on land. On all my cruises there

was just one incident of a woman screaming drunk a few doors down in the hallway and I just

poked my head out of my door and said "someone having a bit too much fun already?" Her

companion just laughed and got her to stop. If it had continued I would have called security.

Edited by Peachypooh

The cultural mix in the U.S. is fluid.  Whatever cultural norms were true yesterday, probably aren’t true now.  We’re diverse culturally, economically, physically, etc. We’re proud of that diversity.

That said, I’m noticing a lot of different cultures from places outside of the U.S. who obviously have different norms than we do.  They seem to prefer to sail out of U.S. ports (to go to the Bahamas or the Caribbean).  

Pushing, shoving, ignoring those around them, narcissism, etc don’t really play well on ships sailing from U.S. ports. That may play in their home locales, but as the videos point out, it doesn’t net positive responses for those cruises leaving from the U.S.

Those behaviors are amplified on a ship.  A little common courtesy goes a long way.  Harder for some to understand, which baffles me, regardless of geographic differences.

3 hours ago, Kingkonig said:

There is no dominant culture in America.  Each region has its own “dominant” culture I suppose (west coast, east coast, Texas, southeast, Midwest), but even with those, there are dozens of subcultures due to different demographics (inner city Atlanta has a different subculture than rural Alabama, for example).  

Alaska has a different culture than Hawaii as well.

I don't see it. It is all the same to me.

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I suppose we shall not see eye-to-eye on this one. I, too, am from another country and ended up in the US. I don't see America in 2019 as older, white, middle class. I see America in 2019 as incredibly diverse, with countless skin tones, languages, and cultures. I love this America.

The quote myself, "If you look at a video of most Alaskan cruise ship passengers". If you want to get along you need to be the grey man. Tall poppies get hammered. The people the OP were talking about were being the tall poppies on the ship. I would be curious to see if there was a Part II of his video - if he escalated things.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:43 PM, tallnthensome said:

I don’t ever want to hear anyone’s music on my balcony. If you want to listen to music put  friggen head phones on. I swear people are retarded.

You really should think about the words you use on a daily basis.